Final books in a series that let the series down.

Andrew Gilfellon

I kind of agree with you. I loved the trilogy and found the overall ending very satisfying, but Assassin's Quest seemed to drag for me where the others were great from start to finish. I think it was just too long with a little too much filler on the questing parts.

I also agree on Hunger Games.

Assassin's Quest, I didn't like the new characters (and after all that happened to them, the speed with which they trusted them was ridiculous.) I didn't like that the tone went from character based to a pure high fantasy solution. But it was still an overall satisfying experience. I was also really frustrated with some things in the latter half of Liveships.

Some series fall off very badly long before the final installment. WoT and GoT are unfortunate examples (but still holding out hope for GoT).

The Dark Tower and Harry Potter really disintegrated into steaming piles of shit. The later additions to Ender's series and the Dune saga looked pretty bad but I dropped them after a few chapters. The posthumous additions to Douglas Adams and Tolkien deserve a mention too.

Usually I abandon really bad books early enough that I can't get too upset about how poor it was. But it's galling when it lets down an entire series.

Mistborn wasn't that bad. There were strong points and flaws throughout that series.

I thought The Amber Spyglass was a very poor conclusion. The first two books had their flaws but they did have plenty of things I liked as well, I can't think of much I liked in the final book.

Going back a few more years, Julian May's Magnificat was one that I felt was a bit of a let-down. It fell into a common trap of prequels (even if this was a prequel set a couple of millions years after the original series). I think she might have written herself into a corner by already having described how the Galactic Milieu trilogy had to end but to get there had to have lots of characters behave in ways that seemed a big departure from their previous characterisation. I still think the Rebels did have a good point but they seemed to abruptly turn into villains in the final book.

I'm grateful enough that The Wheel of Time eventually ended that I'm willing to overlook some of A Memory of Light's flaws, even if it was a disappointment that it was the weakest of the books Sanderson co-authored.

Feist - Magicians End was such a disappointment, in reality the series had been in a steady decline for a long time, but I was hoping for a better ending - and where the hell did Bliss and Mind come from?

I'm impressed that you had the stamina to get to the end, I think I gave up about 7 or 8 books earlier. Sadly, I'm not surprised that the ending was poor.

The posthumous additions to Douglas Adams and Tolkien deserve a mention too.

That last book Adams wrote in the Hitchhiker's series was also very poor. I think the trilogy should have stopped at four books.

The biggest letdown for me lately was the last book of The Shadow of the Apt series. After 10 books, I expected a bit more closure than was given.

I thought it did a decent job of concluding the various story arcs and character arcs. Admittedly, there is space left for more sequels to be written one day but I don't think the ending demands any sequels. Overall I'd rank it among the good series endings even if it isn't perfect, at times there is so much going on that it can feel a bit rushed.

I could write a dissertation on how much I hate the subtle knife.

I'm curious, was it just what he did with Lyra that you hated? Were there any parts you liked about it? I kind of enjoyed it, barring Lyra's complete transformation as a character and a couple of little things.

Oh poo, I liked that one, although it was definitely the weakest. Speaking of series endings though, her final Eli Monopress book had one if the most satisfying concluding volumes I've ever read.

Agree completely. That series just kept building in quality.

Mainly what he did to Lyra, but I also found the new main in The Subtle Knife to be an annoying little shit, and the world, which is ours, was boring as fuck. Alsoi no polar bears.

Memory of Light bugged the shit out of me not just for, you know, you resolving anything and going nowhere, but because it could have been a 100 page book. I mean I can sum it up in lets see 4 lines? 5? I mark spoiler

Rand fights the dark one and wins WITH LOVE

Rand dies but doesnt

Egwene explodes

some other characters die off screen

Perin Chokes a bitch

Obvious answer for me:

Hunger Games

First one was pretty good, second one was ok, but read like a re-hash (the movie was better), and the third book/ending was just bad. Interesting concept that was ridiculously cliche by the end.

Agree, was a huge let down, and felt half of the nook and nothing to add to the plot at all.

I hated the ending of Dream of Spring. It was hard to tell if my tears were from the betrayal of Tyrion or the gout I developed somewhere in 2027.

Anyway. My time machine is warmed back up. Heading back to tell the neighborhood kids to get off my lawn.

:lol: I had to read this like 3 times to get it. I might need sleep.

Those last two Hyperion books were a trial. Two great moments (the fight with the metal bitch, Ship rising out of the swamp) and the rest was just....aggravation and frustration for the reader.

Don't forget the under age zero gravity sex.

What book did you read? That never happened.

Those last two Hyperion books were a trial. Two great moments (the fight with the metal bitch, Ship rising out of the swamp) and the rest was just....aggravation and frustration for the reader.

The last book was a slog, but I really enjoyed the ending quite a bit on my first read through.

Uh,

In either the third or fourth book the main character fucks alien female jesus in zero g. I thought she was like...16? Maybe she was legal, don't really care that much.

She was 22, so it seems you didn't really get the timelines of the last two books, which is not all that surprising because the time aspect was confusing in the last two books. It was much clearer on my re-read.

Archived