No WOW for 2015

Dorian Martell

A publisher trying to promote interest in a book she's publishing? Imagine that! :stunned:

based on content that's been published for years. it's like saying "that new car you want wont be ready this year, but we have plenty of used cars in stock".

None of us are unaware of the complexity and all the intricacies of the series. It all has to fit together perfectly and answer all our questions.

Comparing the "words-per-day" to other authors? Really? This is petty, impatient whining.

None of us are unaware of the complexity and all the intricacies of the series. It all has to fit together perfectly and answer all our questions.

Comparing the "words-per-day" to other authors? Really? This is petty, impatient whining.

Call it what you will, but when George took 3 months off this past summer to do "NOTHING", I call it laziness. George's excuse naturally being "who would turn down a free vacation", which I could understand. Taking 12 vacations back to back to back though, is just being a glutton.

Well at this point he's pretty much missed the window of opportunity to stay ahead of the show, and that was - for me at least - the main panic for him to get the book out sooner rather than later. So as frustrating as it is to have to wait, I suppose I'm happy for him to take his time.

Call it would you will, but when George took 3 months off this past summer to do "NOTHING", I call it laziness. George's excuse naturally being "who would turn down a free vacation", which I could understand. Taking 12 vacations back to back to back though, is just being a glutton.

Also, isn't this supposed to be his passion? Writing novels isn't like other jobs - only a lucky few ever get to make a living off of it, so even those who do will usually come into the industry because it's a hobby that they love.

As someone who writes myself, if I don't write for ages it's because I'm dissatisfied with something in the work and/or I've lost some love for it.

based on content that's been published for years. it's like saying "that new car you want wont be ready this year, but we have plenty of used cars in stock".

Given the massive interest there is certain to be for this particular 'used car' (it'll probably outsell the majority of the new releases Jane Johnson publishes this year), it seems a pretty natural reaction.

Martin wrote AFFC and ADWD in a total of 11 years. They have a total of 724 000 words, thus, his writing speed is 180 words a day or 0,6 pages a day. JK Rowling took 10 years to write 1 080 000 words, which puts her writing speed at 296 words a day or 0,99 pages a day. Not quite the same.

What I find funny is that everyone is constantly saying that Martin's books are long and that's the reason they take so long to write. Well, Steven Erikson's and Brandon Sanderson's books are just as long and they release new books at least once every two years. The same applied to Robert Jordan. The only authors I can think of who are equally slow or at least in close proximity, are Patrick Rothfuss and R. Scott Bakker.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/06/16/predict-when-george-r-r-martin-will-finish-game-of-thrones-using-the-magic-of-geometry/

The AFFC and ADWD times spans are special cases.

Given the massive interest there is certain to be for this particular 'used car' (it'll probably outsell the majority of the new releases Jane Johnson publishes this year), it seems a pretty natural reaction.

The sad thing is you're right. It's like George on Seinfeld paying more for a used car simply because it belonged to Jon Voight.

It's still annoying to read about though.

Call it what you will, but when George took 3 months off this past summer to do "NOTHING", I call it laziness. George's excuse naturally being "who would turn down a free vacation", which I could understand. Taking 12 vacations back to back to back though, is just being a glutton.

I don't understand this piss-poor mentality. Who the hell do you think you are to say it's unacceptable for him to take time off?

Are you a shareholder with the publisher or something? What exactly does the author owe you?

It's absolutely unbelievable.

Honestly, if I were GRRM and I were reading some of these posts I probably wouldn't be able to help but think, "Why would I finish these books for the likes of you."

"NOTHING". Do you really think he was doing NOTHING?

He was probably doing the same thing many people do in their off-time. He was probably relaxing and enjoying himself.

You are owed NOTHING.

The thing is that no matter what he says about less re-writing I can't see any evidence of him being any faster than with those two books. Of course, while he was writing ACOK and ASOS he did write at a pretty decent pace. 4 years, 767 000 words, 2490 pages in 4 years is 512 words a day or 1,7 pages a day.

I don't understand this piss-poor mentality. Who the hell do you think you are to say it's unacceptable for him to take time off?

Are you a shareholder with the publisher or something? What exactly does the author owe you?

Honestly, if I were GRRM and I were reading some of these posts I probably wouldn't be able to help but think, "Why would I finish these books for the likes of you."

He was probably doing the same thing many people do in their off-time. He was probably relaxing and enjoying himself.

3 months, I'm not talking about a normal vacation here. I'm talking about pure laziness. I would say the same for just about anyone who did something like that.

You are owed NOTHING.

There's nothing wrong with holidays. What people despise is being slow and then taking holidays, when being slow already means that you're (most probably) taking a lot off time away from writing even when you're not on holiday. While writing can't be directly compared to a normal job, if Martin did even 6 hours of writing 5 days a week he'd be bound to be a lot faster than he is at the moment. Most authors write about a page per hour. Martin writes 0.6 pages a day so he writes for 40 minutes per day, and he's supposed to be a professional author? Steven Erikson called himself lazy when he said he writes 4 hours a day 5 days a week.

GRRM rushes to finish novels 6 & 7 - people are whining because it's poor quality.

GRRM takes his time to finish said novels - people are whining because they are getting impatient.

You can't win.

You are owed NOTHING.

This and this.

Archived