NFL 2015 offseason: the draft is only two months away

DanteGabriel

So what's going on in SF?

Florio is hinting something is in the works (not the rumored kaep on the market rumor btw)

Davis going to be released? Retire? (Speculating on my part)

Rumors I'm seeing about Willis is he'll retire. Injury catching up with him?

Also breaking: Justin Smith now expected to retire.

I don't even want to turn on the wiretap anymore. I get gut-punched every time I do.

NFL AM saying they've never seen a team as talented as we were fall apart so quickly/thoroughly. Looked like we were going to be dominant for years to come...now we're reeling from one disaster to another.

NFL AM saying they've never seen a team as talented as we were fall apart so quickly/thoroughly. Looked like we were going to be dominant for years to come...now we're reeling from one disaster to another.

Honestly, the only thing that makes me feel slightly better about Chicago blowing up is watching SF blow up even harder. At the same time, it's a veritable race to the bottom.... and even Chicago can't win that.

The dissolution of the Niners is incredible. Never seen anything like it in the NFL. God, they were a play away from a championship two years ago, and then... this.

As for Suh to Miami -- no sir, don't like it. I much preferred the idea of him going to Oakland to get in Peyton Manning's face twice a season. Fucking Raiders, you've got more cap space than anybody. And you have to spend a shitload this year. Couldn't you have gotten this move right?

I see two NFC contenders that will look way different next year:

On the bright side, looks like Philly is losing Maclin to the Chiefs. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/08/report-jeremy-maclin-joining-kansas-city/

It's clear now why Kelly fought so hard for total control over personnel. He wants to overhaul the team in his image. The Eagles really had 3 stars when he arrived: DeSean Jackson, LeSean McCoy and Jeremy Maclin and within 2 years all are gone. I get that each may be too expensive for their production in his system, but saving cap space is only useful if you're getting something better with it.

So far their free agent haul is Byron Maxwell, Frank Gore and Mark Sanchez. Oh and a failed attempt at Devin McCourty. Not exactly overwhelmed here.

Theoretically it makes sense to go cheap on offense as his system has proven its ability to do more with less. But now he has two FA RBs that will be 32 when the season starts and a totally unproven WR corps.

If the 49ers are intent on proving coaching doesn't matter, the Eagles seem hellbent on proving offensive skill position talent doesn't either.

Rumors I'm seeing about Willis is he'll retire. Injury catching up with him?

Wow, didn't see that coming.

Plus there are trade rumors circling Colin Kaepernick and possibly the Bears? It makes zero sense to do so. He's got an awesomely team friendly contract. They can get rid of him at any time with minimal dead money and his upside is still higher than anyone they can plug in. Baalke is denying it strongly. But with the clowncar manner they've handled everything this offseason, can we rule anything out?

No, no we can't.

Wow...

Clarence HillVerified account @clarencehilljr

Former Cowboys OT Jermey Parnell to Jax for five years at roughly $6.5 per year, per source. Big man got paid. He is a backup no more.

Jax HAS to spend money just to reach the the minimum cap level but DAMN! He's a decent player, played well when Doug Free got hurt but I'm glad Dallas kept Doug Free at half that amount.

ETA:

@JaimeL, yeah, it seems as if Kelly thinks he can just plug in guys and his system will work. He seems more concerned with building the defense with talent. I dunno.

It's clear now why Kelly fought so hard for total control over personnel. He wants to overhaul the team in his image. The Eagles really had 3 stars when he arrived: DeSean Jackson, LeSean McCoy and Jeremy Maclin and within 2 years all are gone. I get that each may be too expensive for their production in his system, but saving cap space is only useful if you're getting something better with it.

So far their free agent haul is Byron Maxwell, Frank Gore and Mark Sanchez. Oh and a failed attempt at Devin McCourty. Not exactly overwhelmed here.

Theoretically it makes sense to go cheap on offense as his system has proven its ability to do more with less. But now he has two FA RBs that will be 32 when the season starts and a totally unproven WR corps.

I still think the Eagles won the McCoy trade with the Bills, but the total offseason for the Eagles looks like a disaster to me. Maxwell getting $10 million a year is crazy. And just the volume of turnover in the defense looks like a really bad idea. Has any team ever successfully revamped their defense through free agency? I'm not talking about "good defense gets better with key addition", I mean "bad defense becomes good". Is there even one example of a defense that was bad becoming a Top 10 unit as a result of a big spending in free agency? I can't think of one. Advanced stats even indicated that the Eagles defense wasn't as bad as the (conventional) numbers say.

I think that Chip Kelly is just getting overconfident, and he is going to learn the important lesson of the NFL (also called the Redskins Rule): Winning free agency is for losers.

Also breaking: Justin Smith now expected to retire.

I don't even want to turn on the wiretap anymore. I get gut-punched every time I do.

It appears torey smith is heading to SF so there is that.

This is what the niners have been, harbaugh and Baalke butted heads for a reason. It appears based on the guys leaving and some of the moves who was the cooler head

Seeing reports that Willis is wanting to get involved in the ministry...

Guess I can't complain about that as an outside observer, but man I never thought I would see this team implode like this. :crying:

My son has a toddler sized Frank Gore jersey and my nephew has a Patrick Willis one; what do I do with their tears now? Huh? What now?!!? :tantrum:

Guess I can't complain about that as an outside observer, but man I never thought I would see this team implode like this. :crying:

My son has a toddler sized Frank Gore jersey and my nephew has a Patrick Willis one; what do I do with their tears now? Huh? What now?!!? :tantrum:

Collect the tears in a sterile container. They shall give me great power!!!

My Niners guy also told me that organization isn't expecting pre-injury Bowman back, at least not this year. Asked how much they expect, is it like 80-90% and he called that 'optimistic.'

This was a while back, might be better now but in light of all the rest, I...just grim. 18 months ago the world was our oyster. Regularly talked about as most talented team, placed most players on All-Pro, Pro-Bowl and Top 100 for 3 straight years, and aside from Gore and Cowboy all were relatively young.

And now we're fucking Deadwood.

Don't worry, they have Jim Tomsula to fall back on.

My Niners guy also told me that organization isn't expecting pre-injury Bowman back, at least not this year. Asked how much they expect, is it like 80-90% and he called that 'optimistic.'

This was a while back, might be better now but in light of all the rest, I...just grim. 18 months ago the world was our oyster. Regularly talked about as most talented team, placed most players on All-Pro, Pro-Bowl and Top 100 for 3 straight years, and aside from Gore and Cowboy all were relatively young.

And now we're fucking Deadwood.

Remember the draft two years ago when everyone said we essentially were going to "redshirt" our entire draft class?!!? :lmao:

I'm more sussed about losing Justin Smith, to be honest. I don't see how they replace that guy. As great as Willis was, the Niners have a ton of depth at LB. It will suck to not have him out there, but I don't think the net loss is that great.

All that being said, this is defintely the end of an era. Smith, Willis and Gore gone, and I don't think we've seen the end of the parade yet. :frown5:

Archived