NFL 2015 offseason: the draft is only two months away

DanteGabriel

Edit: slightly related, it appears all charges against Ray McDonald have been dropped. Which kinda makes the Niners look like the bad guys for releasing him for being accused, imo.

On the flipside, this is the third time he's been under investigation by the authorities in two seasons. I feel like they gave him the appropriate amount of rope.

On the flipside, this is the third time he's been under investigation by the authorities in two seasons. I feel like they gave him the appropriate amount of rope.

I getcha, but as mentioned earlier in this thread, I think not guilty/charges dropped counting as partial guilty verdicts is very problematic from an ethical POV.

I getcha, but as mentioned earlier in this thread, I think not guilty/charges dropped counting as partial guilty verdicts is very problematic from an ethical POV.

Sure. I'm not saying good riddance necessarily, but I do think that "where there's smoke there's fire" can be fairly applied at this point.

Jeez. The franchise is deep in rebuilding mode, but they are coming away from a ten-year stretch where their worst seasons were 7-9, and the best include a Super Bowl appearance. Is this really all it takes to make you jump ship?

Browns/Bills/Raiders/Lions/Vikings fans mock your soft, squishy heart.

As I said, I'm disenfranchised with the NFL as a whole. I've been a lifelong Bears fan but the whole thing just stinks lately. And I'd argue that no team is ever truly rebuilding because they're rebuilding every single year. The Bears still have a fantastic offense on paper and to blow up the whole team because the defense stinks is a mind-boggling prospect to me.

You don't want Brandon Marshall on your team. His Borderline Personality Disorder was in high gear last season and he was uncontrollable. If you are rebuilding a team, why would you want a 31 year old headache on your squad?

I disagree with the uncontrollable assertion. Marc Trestman just happened to be a timid spineless man who didn't know how to control an NFL roster. Marshall was just fine with Lovie Smith at the helm and I imagine he'd be just fine with Fox as well.

Anybody see the Grantland article about where Julius Thomas might end up? His dad has apparently been active on social media and buttering up Pete Carroll.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/can-we-figure-out-where-julius-thomas-will-sign-by-reading-his-dads-social-media-accounts/

What got my attention, though, was his tweet shit-talking Peyton Manning and the Broncos:

Don't blame Fox for Elway giving Peyton the reigns and making him uncoachable, unapproachable and bigger than the TEAM.

Wow. How did that not get more attention at the time? Though one may have reasons to doubt Mr. Thomas's football acumen:

Too bad Fox didn't have the power to bench Manning. Using Osweiler would have been a great transition for Franchise's future.

Anybody see the Grantland article about where Julius Thomas might end up? His dad has apparently been active on social media and buttering up Pete Carroll.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/can-we-figure-out-where-julius-thomas-will-sign-by-reading-his-dads-social-media-accounts/

What got my attention, though, was his tweet shit-talking Peyton Manning and the Broncos:

Wow. How did that not get more attention at the time? Though one may have reasons to doubt Mr. Thomas's football acumen:

There is some truth to this. Manning is running the Broncos - or rather he was up until fox left.

I am curious of the elway/kubiak/manning dynamic for 2015, going to be some adjustments but does Kubiak come in and let manning run the show? I am surprised he took the gig as he and manning have some sort of arrangement going forward or one of them wouldnt be there right now.

I mean last season they didn't even sign players without mannings ok, the sound guy in the stadium had to answer to manning. The Sherrif isn't just a fun nickname, that's a real one and the fun, playful peyton on tv and commercials is different than the NFL qb manning.

As far as the veiled shots at the Broncos it does sound like some sour grapes on Thomas' s end, he's coming off pretty self serving. He will make some decent coin, curious where he ends up, his dad wants him in the northwest it appears but the Hawks are sniffing around jordan cameron too.

I can see thomas in Oakland or even somewhere south like jacksonville or Miami....

It's apparently 'breaking news' that the Colts will not be re-signing Reggie Wayne. I'm not sure who thought that was headline worthy, but the writing has been on the wall since week 6. :(

He's just not the same. Loved that guy...but it's time buddy...it's time.

Or he can sign with the Broncos for one year and he and Peyton both could retire after next season.

I disagree with the uncontrollable assertion. Marc Trestman just happened to be a timid spineless man who didn't know how to control an NFL roster. Marshall was just fine with Lovie Smith at the helm and I imagine he'd be just fine with Fox as well.

You have no idea if Marshall was just fine because Lovie ran a notoriously tight ship. Nothing got leaked out. But you have to ask yourself...why is a receiver with top 5 talent on his 3rd team that now wants to cut bait with him? He was run out of Denver after all the domestic violence issues. He was traded from Miami for just a pair of 4th rounders.

Last season he held a press conference, when the team asked him not to, trying to defend himself over the domestic violence issues from when he was in Denver. He got into screaming matches with teammates in the locker room. He challenged a Twitter troll to a boxing match for charity. When the previous GM told him his contract said he could not do something like that, he said he could do what he wanted. He later challenged ESPN Chicago radio host Carmen DeFalco to a boxing match.

So again, why would John Fox want to put up with this? He is going to to have to rebuild the entire culture of the organization and Brandon Marshall is poison. They also have to find a young QB either in this years draft or next season. The last thing you want is Brandon Marshall in a young QB's head. Ask Tony Romo about having to deal with TO.

You owe me a Coke and a computer monitor.

Is it bad that I'm more excited about your coach than my team? That's bad, right?

There's been a lot of rumblings here that if you get certain Broncos players off-the-record they'll just lay into Manning. They'll never say a bad thing about him on the record but give guys a chance to be candid and they won't mince words. It's clear the special treatment PFM gets rankles other guys and now with his declining skillset it's just about unbearable.

Then again there's also rumblings from the team about Julius Thomas' toughness and inability to play through pain. Lot of dysfunction here. Jack Del Rio basically blew up bridges on the way to a lost season and out of town. No wonder this team basically quit in that playoff game.

I'm telling you Bears fans...you are much better off now in the long run.

Agreed...

I'm more worried what Jerry Jones is going to do...I'm afraid he wants Adrian Peterson instead of Demarco Murray. I would prefer keeping Murray but I don't want him spending crazy money at the RB position at all. But that's me...and thinking JJ will not do anything crazy is a disillusion I keep falling for.

Brandon Marshall is doomed to live in a world where Jay Cutler is the best QB he's ever caught a pass from. And it's not even close.

I expected Marshall to get cut and end up in New England this year. I have no idea why the Jets would trade for him.

Agreed...

I'm more worried what Jerry Jones is going to do...I'm afraid he wants Adrian Peterson instead of Demarco Murray. I would prefer keeping Murray but I don't want him spending crazy money at the RB position at all. But that's me...and thinking JJ will not do anything crazy is a disillusion I keep falling for.

I am cautiously optimistic that JJ is going to do the prudent thing. He has done that the past couple of years thanks to the influence of his son Stephen and coach Jason Garrett. He's not going to trade for AP with that contract. He's only going to sign Murray if it fits their budget. The Shady McCoy trade was a good sign that the running back market is not going to be very high.

I wish Rex was still coach of this team. That'd be a fantastic locker room pressure-cooker. I don't suppose they'd bring the Jets back on Hard Knocks this year? It would be great to see him and Geno Smith develop a working relationship. Also, I bet he could kick Percy Harvin's ass.

There's been a lot of rumblings here that if you get certain Broncos players off-the-record they'll just lay into Manning. They'll never say a bad thing about him on the record but give guys a chance to be candid and they won't mince words. It's clear the special treatment PFM gets rankles other guys and now with his declining skillset it's just about unbearable.

Then again there's also rumblings from the team about Julius Thomas' toughness and inability to play through pain. Lot of dysfunction here. Jack Del Rio basically blew up bridges on the way to a lost season and out of town. No wonder this team basically quit in that playoff game.

But how could people be resentful of Peyton Manning? I mean, after he set that TD record and they stopped the whole game to celebrate his singular career, his teammates played a fun game of keep-away from him in a spontaneous display of good-natured hijinks that he totally put them up to.

Hey, I want to properly get into American football for this season (Go 49ers) but I don't really know many of the players having only watched the last 3 superbowls + the weekly UK highlights show in the 2nd season. Can someone give a quick run down of who has already signed to stay with SF for this season coming up so I can be a proper supporter (don't need you to explain the rules though, contrary to what 99% of my countrymen believe, it really is rather easy to understand). Thanks!

I am cautiously optimistic that JJ is going to do the prudent thing. He has done that the past couple of years thanks to the influence of his son Stephen and coach Jason Garrett. He's not going to trade for AP with that contract. He's only going to sign Murray if it fits their budget. The Shady McCoy trade was a good sign that the running back market is not going to be very high.

Cautiously optimistic is a perfect way to describe it.

Just when we think JJ has 'figured it out'...WHAM...he does something stupid. But...yes Stephen and Garrett have had more influence on football operations the past couple of years...mostly in the draft! Thank the football Gods that they didn't draft Johnny Manziel last year!

Archived