NFL 2015 offseason: the draft is only two months away

DanteGabriel

If the Eagles get Spiller, game, set, match Kelly.

Yeah that's a good point about Kiko possibly not fitting in with what Yumbo likes to do.

I'm listening to Mike Florio on the radio right now and he thinks that Rex Ryan will be on the Jets' David Harris' doorstep next week when free agency opens. BIG age difference with Harris 31 and Alonso in his early 20's but Harris knows the defense.

I'm listening to Mike Florio on the radio right now and he thinks that Rex Ryan will be on the Jets' David Harris' doorstep next week when free agency opens. BIG age difference with Harris 31 and Alonso in his early 20's but Harris knows the defense.

Thanks Rex. I was kinda scared of having you in charge of the Buffalo D, but swapping out Alonzo for David Harris comforts me. Next maybe you can find a spot for Kyle Wilson somewhere in your secondary. I hear Vernon Gholston is floating around out there too.

Now there's rumors Alonso wanted out of Buffalo and McCoy's pissed he's being sent there.

Everyone has their breaking point. For some people it would be losing the "wide right" Super Bowl. Others, losing four straight Super Bowls, including two to the most obnoxious team in sports. Still other people would break at losing the Music City Miracle. No doubt some recoil from the longest playoff drought in the sport. Surely others must have walked away when Kevin Everett was paralyzed on opening day.

For me, it's having Richie Fucking Incognito on the team. If he goes, I'll be back.

Considering I've contemplated the breaking point with my team it would be disingenuous for me to argue you shouldn't walk away.

But you're the only representative of Bills Nation on this board. I think there's a great chance our long national nightmare is over and the Bills make the playoffs for the first time since Clinton was in office. They've got a great defense + McCoy now. They'll do the classic Bills thing and sign the slightly-younger, possessing-slightly-more-heart version of Kyle Orton (i.e.: Brian Hoyer) and win 9-10 games. But more than that, with Yumbo they'll finally be entertaining. Bills relevance is finally at hand and I don't want you to miss it*.

*and I want to be able to jump on the Bills bandwagon after the 19th straight year the Skins start 3-6 and crush my soul with their oppressive ineptness

As a lifelong Eagles fan I am liking this trade for the Eagles more and more. McCoy is at the age now turning 27 where running backs start to show a decline in performance as his last year stats show. Eagles got a young LB in Kiko if he comes back healthy will be on our D for the next 8/10 years. Eagles have a good record with trades with the Bills look at the Jason Peters trade a few years back. I think long term Eagles got a steal in this trade.

Now there's rumors Alonso wanted out of Buffalo and McCoy's pissed he's being sent there.

Considering I've contemplated the breaking point with my team it would be disingenuous for me to argue you shouldn't walk away.

But you're the only representative of Bills Nation on this board. I think there's a great chance our long national nightmare is over and the Bills make the playoffs for the first time since Clinton was in office. They've got a great defense + McCoy now. They'll do the classic Bills thing and sign the slightly-younger, possessing-slightly-more-heart version of Kyle Orton (i.e.: Brian Hoyer) and win 9-10 games. But more than that, with Yumbo they'll finally be entertaining. Bills relevance is finally at hand and I don't want you to miss it*.

*and I want to be able to jump on the Bills bandwagon after the 19th straight year the Skins start 3-6 and crush my soul with their oppressive ineptness

Yeah, I think there's a decent shot of it. That's one of the reasons I was particularly frustrated they signed Incognito. I really will come back once he gets cut, but I just have no interest in rooting for the dude, at all. IDK why I chose this guy as the one who repels me the most, considering the stuff plenty of other NFL players get up to, but it is what it is.

And Howdy - seriously? I would gladly take the rings, thanks!

Yeah, I think there's a decent shot of it. That's one of the reasons I was particularly frustrated they signed Incognito. I really will come back once he gets cut, but I just have no interest in rooting for the dude, at all. IDK why I chose this guy as the one who repels me the most, considering the stuff plenty of other NFL players get up to, but it is what it is.

And Howdy - seriously? I would gladly take the rings, thanks!

Jimmy Johnson got those rings. Jerry Jones had very little part in that as evidenced by what has transpired over the last 20 years.

Jimmy Johnson got those rings. Jerry Jones had very little part in that as evidenced by what has transpired over the last 20 years.

Hey, don't forget the one Barry Switzer got for your Jones Boys. One could argue Jones the GM had a decent hand in the Switzer championship, as he signed Deion Sanders that year.

Anytime you can trade a running back for a productive player that plays another position, you should call it a win. Even a great running back like Shady is only going to have a few truly dominant years, and it is entirely possible he's already had them in Philly. If Kiko Alonso stays healthy, this is a steal for the Eagles.

This pretty much sums up my feeling. And it is doubly true for a RB who already has a nearly $12M cap number. I don't think I'd ever really want to pay an RB that much. Not even for Faulk or LaDainian, whom I adored and who both of whom had great years well into their late 20's.

Don't worry, Bills fans - in addition to getting Shady, you're also getting the quarterback stylings of Matt Cassel.

That move ties into what I heard NFL analyst and former layer Matt Bowen talk about a couple of weeks ago. He was talking about how teams are going defense and ball control this year based on which coaches were hired and a few other key reasons. The main one is the apparent lack of quarterbacks coming into the league anytime soon.

We've been spoiled by great QB play for years now but remember how bad it was 15 years ago? That was the time when the great 80's QB's had all retired and other than Brady and Manning, college gave the NFL a load of suck. Teams adjusted by running the balls, playing great D, and handing the keys to what Bill Parcells called a "Bus Driver quarterback". A QB who just ran the offense and didn't make a mistake. Baltimore and Tampa won a super bowl that way. You could argue New England won their first one that way, too. It wasn't until about 2004 that an influx of QB talent started changing the league into a passing one. Rule changes helped as well.

Well according to Matt Bowen, many in the NFL think that the league might be headed back to a bus driver QB because the college football QB pipeline is running dry due to the read option. QB's are just not prepared to run a pro style offense. It's worse because the read option is being played in HIGH SCHOOL so simple things like huddling and taking snaps are new. According to him, there were fumbled snaps almost every other snap at the Senior Bowl.

There is one position that seems to have benefited from the rise of the read option: wide receiver. Since even high school teams are throwing so much, kids are learning route trees earlier. By college they are really refining their skills. That might be why we've seen such a large number of NFL ready rookies. Scouts are saying this years' crop could be as good as last years.

It might make more sense to have a journeyman QB and surround him with talent than to gamble a high pick on a read option QB, especially if you can get one of these great young receivers coming into the league. Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffrey made Josh McCown look like a Pro Bowler with their incredible catch radius two years ago.

If you thought the 49ers has maxed out the juvenile/petty behaviour towards Harbaugh, you've underestimated them.

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2015/03/03/it-looks-like-jim-harbaugh-has-been-removed-from-the-49ers-museum/

They've removed any Harbaugh-related material from their 49ers Museum at Levi's Field, in some cases to be replaced with a blank slate. Yes, boys and girls...these are the men in charge.

Hey, don't forget the one Barry Switzer got for your Jones Boys. One could argue Jones the GM had a decent hand in the Switzer championship, as he signed Deion Sanders that year.

Jimmy Johnson won 3 superbowls...the last he was an absentee coach.

Barry admitted he won with Jimmy's players...which still irks Jerry!

Howdy - did the rings come during Jones' ownership tenure or not? Who hired Johnson? Again, you get the bad with the good; I get Jones + the rings; you get all of Incognito's downside as a human being, but you do get an offensive lineman who is only a little below replacement level.

I saw the Matt Cassel thing and cracked up earlier. We'll see how this ends up going, but the Bills' main offensive liability wasn't even the QB position (though it was a liability), it was the offensive line. God forbid they ever invest some resources there, rather than sinking picks and players into a mediocre QB and an admittedly excellent player at the league's most fungible position.

ETA: Edited to revert back to Jones v. Incognito, not Jones vs. the totality of Bills futility.

If you thought the 49ers has maxed out the juvenile/petty behaviour towards Harbaugh, you've underestimated them.

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2015/03/03/it-looks-like-jim-harbaugh-has-been-removed-from-the-49ers-museum/

They've removed any Harbaugh-related material from their 49ers Museum at Levi's Field, in some cases to be replaced with a blank slate. Yes, boys and girls...these are the men in charge.

Idiots...

http://s1336.photobucket.com/user/Lumpy67/media/Toy%20Story%20Delusion_zpsjqpjqhq2.png.html

So word just came over the wire that PFM is gonna take a $4m paycut this year. Let me preface by saying a ) that's noble, he was under no obligation to do it and b ) even at the $19m he was making last year, he was underpaid.

But still what's the end goal here? Isn't the entire point of the Broncos coda to his career is to bag another ring? Every dollar he takes is one less dollar that goes to getting him help to get over that playoff hump. The man has more money than Davey Crockett. He owns like 40 Papa Johns franchises, he's the pitchman on like 16 different products, he owns a freaking hospital for chrissakes. His on the field salary is almost irrelevant at this point. And it's not like Michael Jordan who spent an entire career grossly underpaid and was determined the team show him respect in his final years. It's nice he decided he could do without that $4m, but why not go for an extreme Dirk Nowitzki type $10-12m paycut solely to signal your intentions that all you care about is a title? The positive spin and PR boost he'd ride from it would be huge for his historical legacy and address his (second) biggest flaw: his perceived selfishness.

This feels like a half measure. The time for half measures is over.

It's a weird situation. He's both underpaid and he should take less, IMO.

Archived