NFL 2015 offseason: the draft is only two months away

DanteGabriel

Actually the Eagles system pretty much does need a back like Shady. Maybe not Shady, but something like him. It needs a back that isn't a power back - that can exploit mistakes and get holes other RBs don't. Having one that also is great in pass catching is a big win too.

I'm not sure that Shady is, well, Shady any more, but that's what makes the Oregon spread work - it isn't the QB's amazing abilities, it's the ability to run the ball in the spread system. Shady was awesome for that.

Wow, now that's a blockbuster. Haven't seen a deal like that since Champ Bailey for Clinton Portis.

I get it for the Eagles - their LBs have been uniformly terrible since, what, Jeremiah Trotter 10 years ago? And McCoy was their second best RB last year (which was kinda amazing). And I get Rex Ryan's thought process - Shady will be the best and most complete RB he's ever had. But part of me wants to shake the Bills organization by the lapels and scream "just learn how to use Spiller properly, dicks". Plus Alonso was awesome as a rookie and could have made an elite defense even better.

If Shady returns to 2013 form, the Bills win it. But he didn't look like that last year. I expect he'll be even more plodding in Rex Ryan's system, like Portis was when he moved over to Gibbs'. I expect Alonso to make the bigger impact over the longterm.

Also Chip Kelly has now gotten rid of his two biggest stars the last two years in McCoy and Jackson. That's a 1,300 yard WR and an 1,800 all purpose yard RB dispatched in their primes. He truly believes even elite athletic and highly productive skill position talent is fungible in his system. Guess we'll see.

Actually the Eagles system pretty much does need a back like Shady. Maybe not Shady, but something like him. It needs a back that isn't a power back - that can exploit mistakes and get holes other RBs don't. Having one that also is great in pass catching is a big win too.

I'm not sure that Shady is, well, Shady any more, but that's what makes the Oregon spread work - it isn't the QB's amazing abilities, it's the ability to run the ball in the spread system. Shady was awesome for that.

When I say they don't need Shady, I mean they can find another back like him without paying the money. I thought I made that clear but perhaps not. Sproles was more of a dominating factor last year than he was. Not sure how much of that was because teams were anticipating McCoy, but he contributed more. Not sure if he can do that as the number one guy.

I get it for the Eagles - their LBs have been uniformly terrible since, what, Jeremiah Trotter 10 years ago? And McCoy was their second best RB last year (which was kinda amazing). And I get Rex Ryan's thought process - Shady will be the best and most complete RB he's ever had. But part of me wants to shake the Bills organization by the lapels and scream "just learn how to use Spiller properly, dicks". Plus Alonso was awesome as a rookie and could have made an elite defense even better.

Well, there's two things Rex Ryan knows well, feet and defense. I'm gonna assume he thinks Alonso didn't fit into the type of defense he plans on running. Rex usually plays an attacking 3-4 hybrid. Reading up a bit, Kiko sounds like a 4-3 weakside 'backer that could play inside in a 3-4. Eagles may value that quite a bit more than what Rex does.

Short term, this trade helps the Bills quite a bit more. Long term it depends what the Eagles do from here. Can they now re-sign Maclin with the freed up money? What do they do with their first pick, can they trade up for their QB and get a rb later? All that may matter more than how McCoy does in Buffalo.

Heh. It gets better.

And

If the Eagles get Spiller, game, set, match Kelly.

Well, there's two things Rex Ryan knows well, feet and defense. I'm gonna assume he thinks Alonso didn't fit into the type of defense he plans on running. Rex usually plays an attacking 3-4 hybrid. Reading up a bit, Kiko sounds like a 4-3 weakside 'backer that could play inside in a 3-4. Eagles may value that quite a bit more than what Rex does.

Short term, this trade helps the Bills quite a bit more. Long term it depends what the Eagles do from here. Can they now re-sign Maclin with the freed up money? What do they do with their first pick, can they trade up for their QB and get a rb later? All that may matter more than how McCoy does in Buffalo.

Yeah that's a good point about Kiko possibly not fitting in with what Yumbo likes to do.

So is the point about money. The Eagles just freed up $10m with this trade. They could now go after Randall Cobb or Julius Thomas or whomever and make his offense even more multiple.

The more I look at this, the more I'm seeing a kind of Portis for Bailey outmaneuvering.

It's kind of freeing to not be rooting for the Bills these days.

Wait, what?

NOOOOOOOOO

So is the point about money. The Eagles just freed up $10m with this trade. They could now go after Randall Cobb or Julius Thomas or whomever and make his offense even more multiple.

The more I look at this, the more I'm seeing a kind of Portis for Bailey outmaneuvering.

Early buzz on the Philly fansites is the Iggles are looking to go secondary in free agency. Maybe McCourty, maybe Maxwell, maybe both.

If the Eagles get Spiller, game, set, match Kelly.

Yeah that's a good point about Kiko possibly not fitting in with what Yumbo likes to do.

Wait, what?

NOOOOOOOOO

Everyone has their breaking point. For some people it would be losing the "wide right" Super Bowl. Others, losing four straight Super Bowls, including two to the most obnoxious team in sports. Still other people would break at losing the Music City Miracle. No doubt some recoil from the longest playoff drought in the sport. Surely others must have walked away when Kevin Everett was paralyzed on opening day.

For me, it's having Richie Fucking Incognito on the team. If he goes, I'll be back.

Everyone has their breaking point. For some people it would be losing the "wide right" Super Bowl. Others, losing four straight Super Bowls, including two to the most obnoxious team in sports. Still other people would break at losing the Music City Miracle. No doubt some recoil from the longest playoff drought in the sport. Surely others must have walked away when Kevin Everett was paralyzed on opening day.

For me, it's having Richie Fucking Incognito on the team. If he goes, I'll be back.

So... Richie Incognito is the breaking point?

Try suffering 26 years with Jerry Jones being your team's owner. I'll take a meathead racist bully any day over that.

Anytime you can trade a running back for a productive player that plays another position, you should call it a win. Even a great running back like Shady is only going to have a few truly dominant years, and it is entirely possible he's already had them in Philly. If Kiko Alonso stays healthy, this is a steal for the Eagles.

<SNIP>

Try suffering 26 years with Jerry Jones being your team's owner. I'll take a meathead racist bully any day over that.

Oh please, try having Mike Brown for the last 24 years. At least Jones has multiple championships.

As a life long Dallas fan who was born and raised here...having Jerry Jones as the owner is not the problem (as the cliché goes). I Love him as an owner...look at what he has done to promote the franchise and he LOVES to win...but he makes a piss poor GM! It slowly appears that Stephen Jones is taking on some of the GM role...which only time will tell if that is any better.

GM Jerry is the only other NFL GM that actively tries to promote NCAA Final Four events, boxing, NBA Allstar events, monster truck rallies, etc. He is not just a football GM...he has too big of an ego and too many other things going on in his life to devote the time required to be a successful GM.

I love him as an Owner...just as I do Mark Cuban (Cuban has settled down in recent years).

While I'm not very happy the Eagles are building up their Defense...football wise, I think this was a smart move for the Eagles. The Running Back position has been devalued as of late...with most teams able to find suitable players to fill that role. Elite RB's are still hard to find, but usable RBs are much easier to find than some other positions...at least it seems that way in recent years.

Archived