NFL 2015 offseason: the draft is only two months away

DanteGabriel

Hey, I want to properly get into American football for this season (Go 49ers) but I don't really know many of the players having only watched the last 3 superbowls + the weekly UK highlights show in the 2nd season. Can someone give a quick run down of who has already signed to stay with SF for this season coming up so I can be a proper supporter (don't need you to explain the rules though, contrary to what 99% of my countrymen believe, it really is rather easy to understand). Thanks!

Here is a good website to watch.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/sf/san-francisco-49ers

You can also sign up for text alerts if your carrier allows.

So again, why would John Fox want to put up with this? He is going to to have to rebuild the entire culture of the organization and Brandon Marshall is poison. They also have to find a young QB either in this years draft or next season. The last thing you want is Brandon Marshall in a young QB's head. Ask Tony Romo about having to deal with TO.

Tony Romo who has been one of the more consistent QBs in the league?

And I disagree about rebuilding the entire culture of the Bears. The Bears culture hasn't gone anywhere, it just hibernated for two years while the Amazing Spineless Wonder was in charge.

Anyway, cutting Brandon Marshall because he's "poison" to a lockerroom is like cutting off your big toes because a shoe in your closet tested positive for athlete's foot bacteria. He's still a top 5/10 receiver in the league and by the time his performance on the field starts to decline, the guy who they drafted with this pick will likely be selling used cars somewhere.

It's a stupid, stupid move and nothing will ever convince me otherwise.

I literally have zero understanding of the Jets. In what world does this move make any sense at all?. I knew something like this was coming though.

Over or under 1.5 wins for the Jets this season?

I literally have zero understanding of the Jets. In what world does this move make any sense at all?. I knew something like this was coming though.

Over or under 1.5 wins for the Jets this season?

Drop it another 1 and I'd still consider the under.

I expected Marshall to get cut and end up in New England this year. I have no idea why the Jets would trade for him.

He makes $3 Million less than Harvin and allows them to move Decker to WR2. And if the Jets cut Harvin before next week they only owe Seattle a 6th rounder and not a 4th rounder.

Drop it another 1 and I'd still consider the under.

Well, we play Jacksonville (3-13), Tennessee (2-14), Oakland (3-13) next year, plus Washington (4-12).

I think it is fairly possible that if Smith can figure out what color jersey we have on those days, we may be able to win 2 of those 4. Maybe...

Well, we play Jacksonville (3-13), Tennessee (2-14), Oakland (3-13) next year, plus Washington (4-12).

I think it is fairly possible that if Smith can figure out what color jersey we have on those days, we may be able to win 2 of those 4. Maybe...

Think smith is the qb in 2015? I can see them signing a bridge qb and I think barring a chip kelly super move Mariota is going to be a jet.

So getting marshall gives whomever the qb is two bigger targets in decker and marshall is a pretty good idea.

I think the jets are moving in the right direction.

Oh, the Jets. They're still the Jets.

That's not to say that Marshall isn't an improvement for them, but... they still don't have a QB who can take advantage of his skills in the moderately brief window that he's still going to have them for.

I would've never thought that Harvin and Marshall would be scoffed at as a receiver tandem but New York can do that for ya.

ETA: Throw Decker into that mix as well. On paper, that's a nice trio.

Think smith is the qb in 2015? I can see them signing a bridge qb and I think barring a chip kelly super move Mariota is going to be a jet.

So getting marshall gives whomever the qb is two bigger targets in decker and marshall is a pretty good idea.

I think the jets are moving in the right direction.

This list is really sad though. Who is a real upgrade?

Jason Campbell, Cincinnati Bengals

Jimmy Clausen, Chicago Bears

Matt Flynn, Green Bay Packers

Blaine Gabbert, San Francisco 49ers

Shaun Hill, St. Louis Rams

Brian Hoyer, Cleveland Browns

Tarvaris Jackson, Seattle Seahawks

Josh Johnson, San Francisco 49ers

Ryan Lindley, Arizona Cardinals

Jake Locker, Tennessee Titans

Ryan Mallett, Houston Texans

Luke McCown, New Orleans Saints

Colt McCoy, Washington Redskins

Matt Moore, Miami Dolphins

Dan Orlovsky, Detroit Lions

Christian Ponder, Minnesota Vikings

Mark Sanchez, Philadelphia Eagles

Tyrod Taylor, Baltimore Ravens

Scott Tolzien, Green Bay Packers

Joe Webb, Carolina Panthers

Michael Vick, New York Jets

T.J. Yates, Atlanta Falcons

I would've never thought that Harvin and Marshall would be scoffed at as a receiver tandem but New York can do that for ya.

ETA: Throw Decker into that mix as well. On paper, that's a nice trio.

I agree. Problem isn't their ability to catch, it's the ability of someone to give them a real chance to catch it.

Niners finally make a move I agree with. Just before Aldon Smith's 9.75 was about to become guaranteed, they worked out a restructured deal where it's paid out in a series of chunks based on specific incentives. His agent even said that Aldon wasn't forced to do this, there was no threat of being cut or w/e, just that he realizes he's been his own worst enemy and wants to repay the 9ers support and bet on himself at the same time.

Nice.

Edit: slightly related, it appears all charges against Ray McDonald have been dropped. Which kinda makes the Niners look like the bad guys for releasing him for being accused, imo.

When charges are dropped because of "significant lack of cooperation by the victim", it just tells me somebody got paid off. This is far from exoneration, IMO.

This list is really sad though. Who is a real upgrade?

Jason Campbell, Cincinnati Bengals

Jimmy Clausen, Chicago Bears

Matt Flynn, Green Bay Packers

Blaine Gabbert, San Francisco 49ers

Shaun Hill, St. Louis Rams

Brian Hoyer, Cleveland Browns

Tarvaris Jackson, Seattle Seahawks

Josh Johnson, San Francisco 49ers

Ryan Lindley, Arizona Cardinals

Jake Locker, Tennessee Titans

Ryan Mallett, Houston Texans

Luke McCown, New Orleans Saints

Colt McCoy, Washington Redskins

Matt Moore, Miami Dolphins

Dan Orlovsky, Detroit Lions

Christian Ponder, Minnesota Vikings

Mark Sanchez, Philadelphia Eagles

Tyrod Taylor, Baltimore Ravens

Scott Tolzien, Green Bay Packers

Joe Webb, Carolina Panthers

Michael Vick, New York Jets

T.J. Yates, Atlanta Falcons

I agree. Problem isn't their ability to catch, it's the ability of someone to give them a real chance to catch it.

I would go after Moore or Hoyer. They won't "win" you games but I think neither will lose you games either.

Hoyer for a year while Mariota sits would bridge the gap and give average results - which wouldn't be bad all things considered

Go get a RB and upgrade the line and you cooking with gas.

The defense needs a ton of tweaking as well.

Tony Romo who has been one of the more consistent QBs in the league?

And I disagree about rebuilding the entire culture of the Bears. The Bears culture hasn't gone anywhere, it just hibernated for two years while the Amazing Spineless Wonder was in charge.

Anyway, cutting Brandon Marshall because he's "poison" to a lockerroom is like cutting off your big toes because a shoe in your closet tested positive for athlete's foot bacteria. He's still a top 5/10 receiver in the league and by the time his performance on the field starts to decline, the guy who they drafted with this pick will likely be selling used cars somewhere.

It's a stupid, stupid move and nothing will ever convince me otherwise.

The performance that began to decline last season? The performance hampered both by injury and flying back and forth to New York each week? Marshall said he wanted to keep doing the Showtime show this next season, the new GM and coach obviously don't like that idea, and I don't blame them.

This team isn't going to win next season. It may compete, but it isn't going to win it all. Cut off the poisonous limb now and keep the momentum looking forward.

Sad about Marshall. When he was good he was really good - and I really liked that he was so outspoken about supporting mental illness health.

On the Jets: the rumors are that the Jets and Philly have reached a deal where Philly gets the 6th pick and Mariota. Let's assume, for a second, that the Jets have some vague competency. Maybe. What would that deal look like?

My suspicion is that it'll look a lot like the deal for Cutler. IE, the Eagles will trade Foles and this year's first round and next year's first round in exchange for Mariota. Foles is probably not a major upgrade over whatever dessicated bodies they have in NY, but it's going to be an upgrade.

I expected Marshall to get cut and end up in New England this year. I have no idea why the Jets would trade for him.

Is amazing that people do trade for him. When the Bears got him for those two picks he was days away from getting cut by Miami outright. Some teams simply lack patience or the confidence to get a guy when he is on the market.

It makes sense to me. The team has a ton of holes and any opportunity to start filling them should be taken. No, they don't have a QB yet. But it wouldn't do them much good to go get one if they don't have any skill position players either. Its not just about getting young players either, they also need veteran players to be leaders in the locker room and be able to play at a reasonably good level for a couple years. Marshall doesn't fit the former, but he does the later. And every bit helps.

The Jets have an absurd amount of cap space this year (over $60 million). There aren't any good FA QB options, but there are a lot of other players out there. If they have a good draft, grab some solid pieces in FA, and sign a journeyman QB (e.g. Hoyer) to helm things for a year a two, they certainly won't be good, but they'll be a 5 or 6 win team that's solidly into rebuilding mode. On any other team that wouldn't be a tall order at all, it only is for the Jets because of the history of failure. But who knows, maybe they finally have a decent GM.

Sad about Marshall. When he was good he was really good - and I really liked that he was so outspoken about supporting mental illness health.

On the Jets: the rumors are that the Jets and Philly have reached a deal where Philly gets the 6th pick and Mariota. Let's assume, for a second, that the Jets have some vague competency. Maybe. What would that deal look like?

My suspicion is that it'll look a lot like the deal for Cutler. IE, the Eagles will trade Foles and this year's first round and next year's first round in exchange for Mariota. Foles is probably not a major upgrade over whatever dessicated bodies they have in NY, but it's going to be an upgrade.

If they came to an agreement for a deal in principle:

Jets get:

Foles/Eagles 1st this year, their 1st next and this years 2nd

Eagles get the 6th.

Foles isn't bad man. But the jets are going to command a ransome

Now here is where it gets tricky, they would be fools to make the deal now because what if another team jumps them? Unless kelly goes full ahab and is working the lines to deal up on draft day

The price will be steep for the move up

Archived