Video Games 2015: Pillars of Modernity

Werthead

I don't think a Wii emulator would work very well because how would you handle the motion control? It seems like you want an N64 emulator anyway. One legal option could be to get a used Wii or a Wii U and download the virtual console version of the N64 game.

Thanks, I think that the virtual console for the Wii is what i am looking for.

And I'm back to RAGE. Its nothing special at all (except those graphics, still can't get over last-gen looking so good), but I know its pretty short so its fallen prey to my OCD of wanting to finish all games that I start (although I've gotten pretty bad at that over the past year; scrapped the barrel of last-gen a bit too far before picking up my PC, and then bought a bunch of games I didn't really want on steam just because the sales were so good- though to be fair, I've also found some gems that way).

Has anyone played Expeditions: Conquistadors? Its a tactical RPG set in Central/South America in the 16th century, which is certainly an interesting setting; but I don't know much about it. I do know that there are almost no 'game over' states, if you lose battles you have to keep on going with that failure, which is a mechanic I like that doesn't appear nearly enough; and that you are encouraged to act like a historical conquistador, with the game supposedly not white-washing at all how bad you are. But its $20 on Steam, and I need a bit more to go on before spending that much on an unknown.

I haven't opened that spoiler, but I finished Episode 2 last night and I'm really enjoying it. I've also played the 2 episodes so far for GoT. How does TWD Season 2 compare to the first season? I'll probably get it after I finish Season 1.

When a certain thing happens you will probably think "I wonder if that's what the spoiler is about", and then you can come and look at the spoiler and see that it is about that thing.

I don't have season 2 yet as I wanted to wait and see if it was going to be something that would be on sale on PSN some time soon. I have a ton of "free" PSN+ games to try to play through (Just got Odd World New 'n' Tasty) as well before I need to start thinking about spending more money on games. I don't think Season 2 got as well received critically. I get the feeling that TWD Season 1 got particularly high scoring reviews because it was somewhat fresh (94 metacritic). But subsequent seasons and other games have got lower reviews because the style is no longer new and different. But I think they are being fairly consistent. Although I will say with GoT there is a little less action / exploration and more just making dialogue choices, So I don't like the balance with GoT as much as the other games, but I'm still liking GoT and looking forward to Episode 3.

Oh and one of the best new features with Odd World is the large variety in fart noises Abe now makes.

Playing Project Zomboid, I'm seeing how long I can survive scavenging around without settling down in a permanent base. Put zombies on max, and I spend half my time trying to get in and out of buildings without leading a group behind me. Originally I had plans to set up a safehouse around the motel in West Point, but that was a ridiculous plan and since then I've been circulating through the suburbs around the town centre.

I think I'll go become a forest hermit.

When a certain thing happens you will probably think "I wonder if that's what the spoiler is about", and then you can come and look at the spoiler and see that it is about that thing.

I don't have season 2 yet as I wanted to wait and see if it was going to be something that would be on sale on PSN some time soon. I have a ton of "free" PSN+ games to try to play through (Just got Odd World New 'n' Tasty) as well before I need to start thinking about spending more money on games. I don't think Season 2 got as well received critically. I get the feeling that TWD Season 1 got particularly high scoring reviews because it was somewhat fresh (94 metacritic). But subsequent seasons and other games have got lower reviews because the style is no longer new and different. But I think they are being fairly consistent. Although I will say with GoT there is a little less action / exploration and more just making dialogue choices, So I don't like the balance with GoT as much as the other games, but I'm still liking GoT and looking forward to Episode 3.

Oh and one of the best new features with Odd World is the large variety in fart noises Abe now makes.

It was on sale at Christmas with all the other telltale games. Not sure when they are doing it again.

It was on sale at Christmas with all the other telltale games. Not sure when they are doing it again.

Crap! Pretty sure it will be sale again some time later though. I can wait.

In other news relating to waiting Uncharted 4 has been delayed and won;t be coming out this year. Rather bummed about that personally, but at least I only have to wait until March-May 2016 rather than waiting until late next year. If they port Golden Abyss across from the Vita as an appeasement I will be OK with that.

Speaking of Mario Kart -- I played 8 a couple times and I think it fell short of its predecessors. There's a lack of memorable tracks on it, and it seems very noob-friendly (koopalings lifting you back on the track when you fall off). I've only played it a couple hours, so my opinion doesn't carry much weight, but I was a little disappointed.

I haven't played much Mario Kart 8, but didn't Lakitu or someone else always lift you back onto the track when you fell off?

Whichever character it is now lifts you up immediately before you completely fall off. You don't lose much position.

I also hear Edge Magazine is doing a large feature on Bloodborne based on 40 hrs of play which doesn't include any Chalice Dungeon play. It's not a review per se, but it does seem like they are going to give a pretty full opinion on the game

Leaked comments from the article suggest they think the game is pretty damned awesome. And scary as shit.

In keeping with my 'Don't buy games until the gold editions cost less than the base game did when it was new' philosophy, I'm only now starting to play XCOM. As a huge fan of the originals, the multi-year wait has been killing me, but I stood firm, and finally bought it from a Steam sale a few months ago.

Anyway, it took a little getting used to, but they did a fantastic job of updating the game. I'd still have preferred an action-point turn system, but I'm pleasantly surprised by how well the two-move system works.

The research tree and strategic level are also pleasantly robust. It's not as complex as the original, but neither does it feel dumbed down as I feared. All in all, a nice job.

Of course, it does suffer from the same dread curse nearly all games of this genre suffer from: the difficulty level does not scale well. On normal, the game starts suitably hard, but becomes way too easy by the third month (when you should have some plasma weapons and decent sattelite coverage); I play Ironman only these days, and usually stop having casualties right around then. Meanwhile, I find 'Classic' difficulty to be frustratingly hard throughout.

In keeping with my 'Don't buy games until the gold editions cost less than the base game did when it was new' philosophy, I'm only now starting to play XCOM. As a huge fan of the originals, the multi-year wait has been killing me, but I stood firm, and finally bought it from a Steam sale a few months ago.

Anyway, it took a little getting used to, but they did a fantastic job of updating the game. I'd still have preferred an action-point turn system, but I'm pleasantly surprised by how well the two-move system works.

The research tree and strategic level are also pleasantly robust. It's not as complex as the original, but neither does it feel dumbed down as I feared. All in all, a nice job.

Of course, it does suffer from the same dread curse nearly all games of this genre suffer from: the difficulty level does not scale well. On normal, the game starts suitably hard, but becomes way too easy by the third month (when you should have some plasma weapons and decent sattelite coverage); I play Ironman only these days, and usually stop having casualties right around then. Meanwhile, I find 'Classic' difficulty to be frustratingly hard throughout.

I just wish there was a bit more on the story side. You're personally sculpted heroes have no engagement in the story, and the folks with actual speaking parts are not developed at all. I really enjoyed the gameplay though, so well and truly worth the price of admission.

Good on you for not holding out and buying games when they are cheaper.

I also hear Edge Magazine is doing a large feature on Bloodborne based on 40 hrs of play which doesn't include any Chalice Dungeon play. It's not a review per se, but it does seem like they are going to give a pretty full opinion on the game

Leaked comments from the article suggest they think the game is pretty damned awesome. And scary as shit.

GotY for sure.

I just wish there was a bit more on the story side. You're personally sculpted heroes have no engagement in the story, and the folks with actual speaking parts are not developed at all. I really enjoyed the gameplay though, so well and truly worth the price of admission.

Good on you for not holding out and buying games when they are cheaper.

I agree, but can accept that as it's meant to be a strategy game rather than an RPG. On the other hand, the fact that you are deploying a maximum of six soldiers at a time makes it inherently RPG-like.

It's a tough balance - what made the high casualty rates acceptable on the original was the fact that you were typically deploying a dozen soldiers at a time, and often had 50-60 in reserve worldwide. You never got attached to any particular soldier, and losing an expensive piece of armor tended to hurt more than losing an experienced soldier. It's the opposite with the new version - you keep the equipment, but the time investment it takes to level a soldier up (not to mention the increasingly powerful abilities that come with it) makes the losses that much more frustrating.

I think that's why I feel like 'Classic' mode crosses over from 'challenging' to just plain frustrating for me - the entire game is structured differently, and losing a single Major now hurts worse than losing 1/3 of your squad in the original.

There is one exception to my cheapskate ways: I contributed quite a lot to the Obsidian/InXile kickstarters last year, and am really looking to reaping the rewards. I've been quite pleased with Wasteland 2 (though I admit the replay value feels pretty limited). On the other hand, a year later, and I'm wondering why I was so intent on having physical goodies. I think I got nostalgic for the great physical manuals (like Fallout), but you really don't need them anymore.

Even Classic gets easy once you get to later levels and learn to play, especially with the new toys you get in Enemy Within. The early game is hard as hell thanks to those cursed Thin Men who crit soldiers in full cover, but once you start to outscale anything but the highest tier aliens the difficulty drops sharply. Doesn't help that EXALT never goes further than laser weapons, later on you gun them down with almost contemptuous ease, only their rocket launchers pose any serious threat.

I still play it from time to time. Sending aliens, and especially Chrysallis, flying with the MEC trooper's rocket punch never gets old.

Played ori for a bit in my building when it was on beta. It's really beautiful and sweet. Gameplay felt like most decent platformers. Skill system was neat.

Decided to give adequate sleep a miss after getting home late, played about 35 minutes of it tonight. That's a hell of an opening.

Really like it so far, looking forward to playing more.

Archived