Small Questions v. 10098

Rhaenys_Targaryen

It was rumored that Orys was Aegon's bastard brother, so the most likely candidate for Orys' father would be Aerion.

Right, but who was his presumed father? If the bastard... um... ness? ity? ...if it was never proven and he has a last name that name must have come from a noble father. Do we have any idea who that presumed father was?

Right, but who was his presumed father? If the bastard... um... ness? ity? ...if it was never proven and he has a last name that name must have come from a noble father. Do we have any idea who that presumed father was?

Oooh I get what you're asking now. I have no idea where the name Baratheon came from. I'm not even sure the Valyrians shared the same customs surrounding bastardy. It's possible that a noble bastard of Dragonstone before the conquest had no last name, or could take the name of their mother. Do we know for sure that Orys didn't come up with Baratheon when he needed a last name to pass on?

Oooh I get what you're asking now. I have no idea where the name Baratheon came from. I'm not even sure the Valyrians shared the same customs surrounding bastardy. It's possible that a noble bastard of Dragonstone before the conquest had no last name, or could take the name of their mother. Do we know for sure that Orys didn't come up with Baratheon when he needed a last name to pass on?

But then he would have been a bastard without question, which is what I had always assumed until I read the part in TWOIAF whe it says it was never proven, so he had to have a father's name, and that father must have been a Baratheon.

But then he would have been a bastard without question, which is what I had always assumed until I read the part in TWOIAF whe it says it was never proven, so he had to have a father's name, and that father must have been a Baratheon.

I thought that the fact that he was Aerions was never proven..

Which page are we looking at?

227?

The favor that Aegon the Conqueror showered upon Orys Baratheon made many credit the rumors that he was Aegon's bastard half brother. Though never proved, that tale is widely believed to this very day. Others suggest that Orys rose so high because of his prowess at arms and his fierce loyalty to House Targaryen.

Good question, I've wondered about this as well

Just read Tyrion in the Sorrows, I can't figure out how the Shy Maid went under the bridge of dreams twice. Was magic involved or was it just bad navigation?

Other than the old Beauty and the Beast TV series i'm not familiar with the George's other work but I get the impression that he likes weird stuff that can't be explained. But I tried here...

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/96720-trying-to-explain-the-weird-rewind-at-the-bridge-of-dream/

Does anyone know of any instances that GRRM makes LF look smart by making other people around him just plain dumb?

Edited due to inability of making spoiler tags :dunno:

You might find this old thread interesting...

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/88292-littlefinger-and-potted-hare/

Does anyone know of any instances that GRRM makes LF look smart by making other people around him just plain dumb?

Edited due to inability of making spoiler tags :dunno:

As to the spoiler tag issue...

Either type

spoilery text here [ /spoiler] (without the space between [ and /), and hit the post button, or hit the "Special BBCode" button (upper row, third from the left) when on the browser, and select one of the two "spoiler" options (I don't know why there are two, but they both function the same way :) ). Then, type your spoilery text in the box that appears. :)

Small question here: So I started reading AFFC(chapter 4) and what's with the POV's titles? I could understand 'The Prophet' because it makes sense that Aeron would call himself like this but the next chapter is 'Captain of the Guards'...why?
Maybe it's just me but it's just..weird and I'm not sure why. It's just feels like GRRM decided to start something new here instead of following the old format but I really can't figure a reason here. So if there's someething behind this, please enlighten me because I'm just puzzled(also, don't get me wrong here, I really enjoyed the first chapters and it's GRRM all right, but still, am I the only one who cares about it?) .

Indeed, GRRM introduces already in the titles the search for identity of some of the characters.

Aerion, Areo, Arya, Arys, Arianne, Asha, Alayne,* (Jaime), Victarion, Reek, Theon, Barristan, Quentyn, Jon Connington and Brienne all struggle with it.

eta: What has bitten GRMM with all the A**** - names?

eta2: added Barristan, Quentyn as suggested by @Rhaenys_Targaryen ...and Brienne. eta3: and Jon Connington, thanks to @Roddy Darwin

You completely forgot Barristan and Quentyn!

Oh yes, but I tried (and slightly missed) to stick with AFfC only. Bad thing to try, yes. I'll amend my post. Barristan? Arstan? another of the ARR-names.

Jaime doesn't have a descriptive POV...

Not title-wise, but he is very much the identity-seeker. That's why I put him in (although in parentheses).

Archived