[SPOILERS] Black Sails - Season 4 on the Horizon.

Arkash

Every scene with Jack and Woodes continue to be an absolute hightlight !

That chemistry between them, that tensed mixture of understanding, rivalry and desire to prove the other wrong is amazing !

Nice penultimate episode of the season. Eleanor makes another mistake which she will regret. That was the expected conclusion to Vane's capture. Now Nassau has the spark it needs to revolt and Blackbeard has a reason to show up. Vane and Eleanor's conversation was better than I hoped it would be. Truth hurts, Eleanor. And he threw it back in her face up to the end.

Flint knows exactly how you're feeling Silver. I enjoyed their conversation almost as much as Eleanor and Vane's. I was expecting Flint to take more drastic measures against Dobb or whatever his name was, but I suppose he is starting to trust Silver's judgment.

Billy going back to Nassau was pointless. I suppose it's nice for the cast to have a firsthand account of Vane's execution.

So Jack gets another shot as captain. It felt like Flint obliged him too quickly, but ok.

I'm expecting a fine finale after all this buildup. I've enjoyed the season, but it's hard to improve on last season.

I kinda expected that, but fuuuck, I still wasn't ready for it. Vane will always be my favorite. I don't think that I've ever liked Eleanor and I'm glad shit is about to get real for her. I don't think Rogers is going to be happy with her decision that she made in his name.

Jack still continues to impress. Hopefully he can really step up in place of Charles.

Blackbeard hasn't really done anything since his opening scene this season, hopefully this is what seriously brings him into it.

This is still easily my favorite show on TV.

Where's my new episode Amazon Prime?

Just realised I'm on holiday when the finale ends. I'm almost considering leaving the last 2 eps until afterwards - especially if this one ends with a cliffhanger.

17 hours ago, Astromech said:

Nice penultimate episode of the season. Eleanor makes another mistake which she will regret. That was the expected conclusion to Vane's capture. Now Nassau has the spark it needs to revolt and Blackbeard has a reason to show up. Vane and Eleanor's conversation was better than I hoped it would be. Truth hurts, Eleanor. And he threw it back in her face up to the end.

Flint knows exactly how you're feeling Silver. I enjoyed their conversation almost as much as Eleanor and Vane's. I was expecting Flint to take more drastic measures against Dobb or whatever his name was, but I suppose he is starting to trust Silver's judgment.

Billy going back to Nassau was pointless. I suppose it's nice for the cast to have a firsthand account of Vane's execution.

So Jack gets another shot as captain. It felt like Flint obliged him too quickly, but ok.

I'm expecting a fine finale after all this buildup. I've enjoyed the season, but it's hard to improve on last season.

Billy has a good head for fighting. He will be leading the armed insurgence in Nassau. No one there could probably do it.

21 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Billy has a good head for fighting. He will be leading the armed insurgence in Nassau. No one there could probably do it.

Vane was both executed and started the resistance. Billy went to save him and begin an insurrection. His being there was pointless. It's convenient for viewers to have a character in the middle of it next week, but I'm sure many of the pirates could do it. Like the pirate that was doing it before Billy showed up.

I can't say I'm really surprised by Charles death and in hindsight it is pretty clear that the season was building towards it. And he was hanged in real life so it feels natural that it happened that way in the show also. Plus it brings the natural in for Blackbeard to save the day. However it should be noted that in real life he was the last of the major real life pirates from the show to die. 

Still I'll miss him an what he brought to the show. Zach McGowan did a really good job despite his constant growling sometimes begin a bit much.

I'm looking forward to next week, but I got to admit the season is a little bit disappointing compared the season 2. It feels like they spent way too much time setting things up and not having a satisfying enough payoff.

Eleanor has passed the point of redemption in the eyes of "the street" .... and I think that when Rodgers wakes up, he will be very put out...

I'll miss Vane, but the show needed a high profile death...  we had Gates in S1, Mrs Barlow in S2... and now Vane & Scott in the same episode...

You would think that Teach is about to go on the warpath...

21 hours ago, Pliskin said:

I guess the spoiler rule of the actor cast elsewhere just got confirmed twice this year...

Which one? I'd be interested to see what Zach Mcgowan does next. All i can see is that he has a recurring role in the 100. Or do you mean Mr Scott?

Strange episode. Not sure what to think as Vane's death may be clouding it. There was a sense of inevitability about it and it's refreshing to see a character go out in a non-guns blazing way. But Vane was one of the best characters in the show and while there are plenty left I feel his absence leaves a hole.

I'm starting to really dislike Eleanor as the power hungry tyrant she's always been. Good character development there.

Vane was my favorite character this season on the show, maybe last 2 seasons really. His death doesn't bother me that much though because it appeared to have meaning, and he basically stopped a rescue attempt on his own. Upsetting scene for me to watch, but I can stomach it. I had actually felt as though this season had been building toward a Flint death, not one for Vane.

My bigger issue is there has been massive buildup all season and very few moments of action, and I'm not even one that needs action. The season finale is likely to be epic, but overall I just feel like there has been less mystery and twists this season than in the past. They keep killing characters and not introducing new ones (other than Woodes and Teach), and they don't have enough characters in the show where they can do that without replacing more. There are very few relationships left in the show, and that really results in the lack of surprises more than anything IMO. Silver and Flint's internal conflicts and other things also seem to be resolved, and there just isn't enough relationships for gossiping and backstabbing. Vane leaving Teach was probably the best moment of the season so far, and future opportunities for moves like that are becoming less and less since there are less characters to follow.

13 hours ago, Pliskin said:

Yes, McGowan, in The 100.

It may well be upgraded to more than a recurring role. Not sure if it's a step up or down for him (haven't seen 100). The CW does seem to collect Starz! actors if the amount of Spartacus actors in their DC shows is anything to by.

16 hours ago, Heartofwinter said:

Vane was my favorite character this season on the show, maybe last 2 seasons really. His death doesn't bother me that much though because it appeared to have meaning, and he basically stopped a rescue attempt on his own. Upsetting scene for me to watch, but I can stomach it. I had actually felt as though this season had been building toward a Flint death, not one for Vane.

My bigger issue is there has been massive buildup all season and very few moments of action, and I'm not even one that needs action. The season finale is likely to be epic, but overall I just feel like there has been less mystery and twists this season than in the past.

I think you're right in that Flint would be far more likley to make the kind of sacrifice Vane did. I think Vane did it more as a "fuck you" when no other options were left (plus given he escaped a similar situation last season it'd be rich to escape again). I don't fully buy he'd sacrifice himself for Nassau otherwise. I suspect Flint would have chosen to leave him die although it's funny how the reasoning for saving Flint last season doesn't apply to Vane .

I agree with your take on the season. I think the first 4 episodes were excellent (or whenever the point was they reached the island of slaves). And there has certainly been far less twists (I think the reveal of the slave king was the main one for me). Whereas last season had a lot of them. I think I also really enjoyed the background to the show and Flint. Maybe Blackbeard/Vane would have benefitted from this? It could be a way to bring the actor back next season if Blackbeard becomes more prominent as it would mirror season 2's Flint  breakthrough via the guy back in England.

Should have guessed this would happen when the famous burning-ship escape took place this season. :bawl:

Anyway, at least this way the hanging had meaning. A bucket-load of consequences on the horizon for everyone. Yes, this is easily one of the best written shows on television.

Just saw the finale on demand.  I have to say as far as structure, this episode gave episode five of season two a lot of competition for best episode of the series.  I view season three in a completely different way now after seeing what they've been building up to.  What did you all think? 

Archived