Football XXXVIII: Wenger v The Special One

MercenaryChef

I dunno. I feel you're underestimating the value of a truly world-class keeper. Not just in terms of dealing with crosses and saving shots, but also the wave of confidence that ripples out through the entire team when you've got a beast in goal.

Anyway, rumours abound that we're in for Begovic. For my money, he's right up there amongst the best keepers in Europe and would be a definite upgrade on any of our current keepers. I'd much prefer him to Lloris, one of our other supposed targets.

ETA: And do you seriously believe we would not be considerably improved by having someone like Manuel Neuer or David de Gea in goal?

In theory, absolutely. As you said, from a pure confidence perspective, it'd be big. But I'm just not sure it'll change the results that happened this season if it makes sense. I think Szczesny cost us this year in some games (see Southampton) but I don't think Ospina did even though he looked shaky at times. So if we look at 2015 with Ospina in goal, not sure Neuer or De Gea change any of the results even though we'd be a better team.

So if we look at 2015 with Ospina in goal, not sure Neuer or De Gea change any of the results even though we'd be a better team.

Well, you've already said it yourself - Ospina was poor in the 3-1 defeat against Monaco, so we might still be in the Champions League. And while you can say that everyone else was poor that night, those are precisely the times when having a world-class keeper might save you from defeat.

Don't get me wrong, he's a decent enough shot stopper, but he can be a bit flappy at times, and as I've already said, he's got that tendency to push the ball back into play when holding it or putting it out for a corner would be the better option. So far, he's gotten away with it, but some of his performances have provided many a hair-raising moment.

Anyways, this discussion is fairly academic because Szczesny is toast, and there's no way Wenger doesn't sign another keeper in the summer. Just hope it's not Casillas.

Cech will have a year left on his contract come the summer and is almost certain to leave. Can't see Mou selling him to us, though if they're willing to I think we should bite their hands off.

He won't be cheap by Championship standards but there's a significant difference between that and Premiership standard...

Yes, and a significant difference within the Premiership, too. But I think Championship clubs are pretty wise to this, too. Given his age, I'd be surprised if he moved for less than £10m, but I would guess 12 or higher depending on who is interested. That's a big investment for most clubs.

Only managed to catch the last 10 minutes of the first half between Everton- Sunderland, but it's been pretty good.

Edit: Those *might* be the luckiest goals you'll see this weekend. A big 3 points for Sunderland though.

So good. Villa is a really solid team now.

Yeah, I was totally wrong regarding Sherwood compared to Lambert. Not only has he got Benteke scoring, Grealish looking class and Tom Cleverley looking like a proper footballer, but he hasn't really sacrificed defence to do it.

Archived