NFL Draft: Every pick is a Pro Bowler!

Trebla

And then he decided to pay them off with kicks and autographed balls. C'mon.

And while taking it into their own hands, they somehow felt animosity towards him so as to repeatedly text "Fuck Tom". How dare he not make them do this!

And then he decided to pay them off with kicks and autographed balls. C'mon.

Eh... no.

Ball boys and equipment people get stuff ALL THE TIME from the marquee players. Autographs, balls, jerseys etc. Its basically part of their salary because they are paid so poorly otherwise. I mena, sure, maybe he gave thema few extras because he sort of knew, but just as likley he was like other QBs who give the equip people a little extra. Especially that time of year,

Eh... no.

Ball boys and equipment people get stuff ALL THE TIME from the marquee players. Autographs, balls, jerseys etc. Its basically part of their salary because they are paid so poorly otherwise. I mena, sure, maybe he gave thema few extras because he sort of knew, but just as likley he was like other QBs who give the equip people a little extra. Especially that time of year,

Wow. Don't know how to respond to that with anything other than a barb at this point.

http://s1336.photobucket.com/user/Lumpy67/media/Patriotsfancheat_zps7b0f9f08.jpg.html

4 games (which will be reduced to 2) seems about right to me. Not ok with the Pats losing draft picks. A 4th rounder or something would be 'ok' I guess, as a warning to the other teams. But a first rounder!?! That's beyond the pale.

Yeah, you have to employ Occam's Razor here. The answer is obvious...

http://s1336.photobucket.com/user/Lumpy67/media/Garoppolo_zpsk6lwu5wm.jpg.html

Winner!

It does make it easier to catch the ball, probably easier to hold onto the ball and not fumble in the cold. But then again no other NE player seems to be involved in any of this. May be Brady has a soft ball fetish :dunno:

If Brady had nothing to do with this, then as I mentioned earlier, he has decided that protecting his privacy is more important than keeping his professional reputation intact.

One has to wonder if this goes all the way back to the Tuck Rule? What if the league intentionally made a bullshit rule just to make everyone mad at the Patriots!?!

Wow. Don't know how to respond to that with anything other than a barb at this point.

http://s1336.photobucket.com/user/Lumpy67/media/Patriotsfancheat_zps7b0f9f08.jpg.html

1. Old meme. Get new material.

2. So,.... QBs DON'T give the staff stuff like that? They do, you know that, right? You know they do that stuff ALL THE TIME because the staff's job's actual pay is poop.

But, hey,. silly memes! Its all great.

And finally, the Hipsters agree with me on something:

http://www.avclub.com/article/stuff-parity-nfl-punishes-quarterback-winning-too--219251

The outlandish punishment leveled against Brady and his team isn’t just an overreaction to an inconsequential offense. It’s also an implicit admission that all along, Deflategate has been about the NFL taking one of its most successful teams down a notch, and not about the “integrity of the game.”

oh and then this....

What’s the difference between the Vikings/Panthers/Chargers and the Patriots? The Patriots have won a Super Bowl, and also, their name has three syllables. Now, it could be that the NFL has it out for teams with three syllables—they’re so much harder to pronounce. But I think this is more about the Super Bowls: four of them, won by New England, all recently. It isn’t a principled stand about the sanctity of the rules, nor is it even about the Patriots specifically. It’s about any single team winning a lot, which is a continued irritation for the majority of fans—not to mention the majority of the league’s owners.

oh... and then this....

I also noticed that according to the report, the league alerted practically everybody but the Patriots to concerns over game balls prior to the AFC Championship, yet inconvenient questions about this de-facto sting operation are dismissed in a single footnote on page 46. (The footnote says, essentially, “There was no sting operation because we say so.”) And innocuous acts like Brady signing memorabilia for his underpaid staff are implied to be part of an underhanded kickback scheme even though this sort of handout is standard operating procedure among NFL stars.

Swear to God, Bill Simmons does not write for the AV Club... as far as you know.

That's a pretty harsh punishment for "More probably than not"

It would be harsh for 'as probably as not'. But just because Brady's agent says that means 50.0001 to 49.9999 doesn't make it so. It's still pretty much a slap on the wrist, since we pretty much knew a week prior to the Super Bowl what we know now.

The "sting operation" is what really gets me. So if a concern is voiced over a team possibly violating the rules, then they should be informed about it so they stop their violation? If you aren't doing anything wrong, then there shouldn't be anything to worry about. Pats got caught and while it's circumspect evidence, that is what is needed by the NFL to move forward with discipline.

As a diehard lifelong Pats fan who has been away from these boards for way too long, please bear with me.

- I believe in my heart of hearts that Brady probably was somewhat aware of what was happening. I'm not sure what his full involvement was.

-The wording in the Wells report, as well as the league's punishment leaves a lot to be desired. I imagine the Patriots will fight this, and Brady will get his suspentiion down to 2 games.

When all is said and done, if this happened to a franchise/QB that I hated, I would be having a field day. I bear no ill will to those enjoying this. However, be careful throwing rocks as most of us dwell in multi storied glass houses. For those calling foul at the so called "sting" I think you miss the point of a sting operation. The D.E.A. wouldn't have much success if they informed dealers that they were sending in narcs to buy drugs. It' s the nature of the beast.

I hope that the Patriots use this as an excuse to unleash hell next year, and run up scores, have Gronk attempt dropkicks, go for two point conversions at will, and try for onside kicks when already up by 30. You wanted them to be caricature villains, reap what you sew, and nobody is more genetically pre disposed to do it then the almighty hoody. Should be fun to watch.

As a last side note, I think the league may have set a very dangerous precedent with the wording/punishment aspect such as "generally knew" and "more likely than not". Next time a player tests positive for a banned substance, is it "more than likely" that the coach and/or management were aware of it? Should Pete Carrol be suspended because his players pop aderral like candy? It's a brave new world in the NFL

4th round pick is fine. 2 games would be fine. 4 games, eh, it's fine. Fines are fines. 1st round pick is ridiculous.

I think I agree with this. Your 15 year veteran 4 time super bowl champ HOF QB is a de-facto executive for the team, so some punishment to the organization is fine (like the fine and a draft pick with some value, not a 7th rounder that BB will get for free off some stupid exec next draft anyway). But the 1st rounder is excessive.

This will be the only thing I say about this from now on, unless something major changes in the appeals process or new wacky things happen.

1. Brady got a 4 game suspension for "not cooperating" sufficiently with an investigation. Aka the NFL just set a precedent where every player now has to turn over private emails and texts during investigations or they are subject to scrutiny.

2. I'm sure Brady had some idea of something. The report itself does an absolutely horrid job of saying Brady was aware that whatever was going on was illegal, or an attempt to circumvent the rules, or that he had any oversight of it. It takes one conversation where Brady presumably was mad over balls and jumps through multiple assumptions that he was part of this which is another assumption.

3. The report itself is very selective in what evidence it uses. It claims Walt Anderson is beyond reproach, then flat out ignores his statements and says he doesn't know what he is talking about to support it's conclusion.

4. Kraft got fined 1 million dollars. This is despite the report going out of it's way to say he had no knowledge of this.

5. The team lost two draft picks. This is despite the report going out of it's way to exonerate the rest of the organization outside of Brady and two equipment guys.

6. This whole violation is no different than what the Vikings got caught red handed doing this year and got a warning for.

To say this is excessive is an understatement. This is the biggest overall team punishment in NFL history. Think about that. Of all the violations in the history of the league people are going to look back and say the league finding it more probable than not that something happened, in a report with entirely circumstantial evidence, that exonerates nearly the entire franchise but 3 individuals garnered, that has never received more than a 25k fine in the past, got the biggest collective punishment in NFL history.

Archived