NFL Draft: Every pick is a Pro Bowler!

Trebla

Could be, but if so they fucked up hiring him initially. He was the one coming down (overly) harshly on any team or player he felt was flaunting the rules. It was clear from the start he wanted to be an out front, activist commissioner in a way the shrewder, subtler Tagliabue did not. They all voted for this guy back in 2006, presumably because he presented a strong, competent face of the league. And they're all sticking with him even though he's the polar opposite of that now.

But is he? I agree he looks weak on some issues, but from what I understand, Goodell has done what the owners really wanted. The league continues to grow into an entertainment juggernaut, and at the same time he has addressed the two largest challenges facing the league: the player lockout and the concussion settlement. In both cases the NFL claimed that they made generous concessions, but really it ended up being pocket change compared to what the league can really afford.

Since those two big wins, there have been some setbacks, Ray Rice most notably. But Goodell is pushing through, and I'm not sure it'll make much difference in the long run so long as they don't continue to screw up their outreach to women. Yes, Goodell looks like a corporate stooge, but that's what he is. The NFL is the greediest of all professional sports leagues - it would be virtually impossible to hide.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if the owners are pleased with Goodell.

Think about it, despite Ray Rice, Adrian Peterson, and Greg Hardy, a number of commercials calling attention to domestic violence, at least Manziel being forced into rehab, the whole sound thing with the Falcons, text thing with the Browns, and deflategate with the Patriots they still had their most profitable year ever, best viewership, and their biggest financially successful Super Bowl game ever.

It's too big to fail now.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if the owners are pleased with Goodell.

Think about it, despite Ray Rice, Adrian Peterson, and Greg Hardy, a number of commercials calling attention to domestic violence, at least Manziel being forced into rehab, the whole sound thing with the Falcons, text thing with the Browns, and deflategate with the Patriots they still had their most profitable year ever, best viewership, and their biggest financially successful Super Bowl game ever.

It's too big to fail now.

Why would they want an incompetent buffoon running the show though? You would think they'd want to protect their golden goose, and not let Goodell fuck up everything left and right. Owners are an arrogant bunch, but, at least the self-made ones, are shrewd business people. They have to know they'd be better served by someone who doesn't shit down his leg on a daily basis.

Why would they want an incompetent buffoon running the show though? You would think they'd want to protect their golden goose, and not let Goodell fuck up everything left and right. Owners are an arrogant bunch, but, at least the self-made ones, are shrewd business people. They have to know they'd be better served by someone who doesn't shit down his leg on a daily basis.

Because there is a good argument to be made that under Goodell the league got so big that it could weather all those storms without missing a beat. He's a horrible public relations guy. But he's a hell of a "I'm going to make sure you all make as much money as possible guy".

Would you rather have a billion dollar company and have it look shady or a million dollar company and have it look honorable? I guess that's the question. And they obviously want the money.

But is he? I agree he looks weak on some issues, but from what I understand, Goodell has done what the owners really wanted. The league continues to grow into an entertainment juggernaut, and at the same time he has addressed the two largest challenges facing the league: the player lockout and the concussion settlement. In both cases the NFL claimed that they made generous concessions, but really it ended up being pocket change compared to what the league can really afford.

Since those two big wins, there have been some setbacks, Ray Rice most notably. But Goodell is pushing through, and I'm not sure it'll make much difference in the long run so long as they don't continue to screw up their outreach to women. Yes, Goodell looks like a corporate stooge, but that's what he is. The NFL is the greediest of all professional sports leagues - it would be virtually impossible to hide.

I just think the optics are bad under Goodell. Every single decision the league makes with him at the helm is now colored as either evil or incompetent or both. And granted some of it would have been unavoidable like the concussion crisis. But the amount of self-inflicted harm is the issue. And as we've seen with Adam Silver, there's no requirement that commissioners fully embody the "soulless stooge" stereotype that they basically are.

It hasn't hurt profits yet. But damage to the brand (or as Goodell knows it, "the shield") tend to be long term in nature and difficult to reverse. I suspect there will be at time in the future where the owners will be kicking themselves for the damage incurred during the Goodell era that could've been avoided with a defter hand at the wheel.

Because there is a good argument to be made that under Goodell the league got so big that it could weather all those storms without missing a beat. He's a horrible public relations guy. But he's a hell of a "I'm going to make sure you all make as much money as possible guy".

Would you rather have a billion dollar company and have it look shady or a million dollar company and have it look honorable? I guess that's the question. And they obviously want the money.

No, that's not the question.

The question is, is the NFL this big because of Roger Goodell, or is the NFL this big in spite of Roger Goodell? My answer is the former.

And I think that Goodell has done severe damage to their brand. At this point, everyone loves the product so much that they buy it anyway, myself being among the biggest offenders. But they have to know that popularity and lack of competition aren't forever, and they need to place themselves well for when that time comes.

Wow, that's a very real punishment. Suspending Brady 4 games probably prevents them from getting home field throughout, and could even bump them out of a Bye if they go 1-3 or something.

The draft picks don't make as much sense, as the report seemed to say the team didn't have knowledge. And the $1 million dollar fine, lol. It's like giving someone a 5 year prison sentence and tacking on a $75 fine.

At the end of the day, this will almost assuredly be dramatiaclly reduced. I'm guessing Brady gets 2 games and maybe they make it one 2nd round pick gone or something.

Also saying the Pats give up a first rounder in 16, and a fourth rounder. Also fined the team a million bucks. For the evidence we have thats outrageous.

Yeah, I don't get taking away draft picks. Suspend the player involved at worst.

Also saying the Pats give up a first rounder in 16, and a fourth rounder. Also fined the team a million bucks. For the evidence we have thats outrageous.

Haha, wow. Boom goes the hammer.

Even as a Jets fan though, I think the draft picks and fine are going too far. The report was pretty clear that the organization probably wasn't involved. I'm fine with the suspension because it'll get appealed and end up being two games, which seems about right.

ETA: Just read the NFL's statement. It says that the team punishments are also for not cooperating with the investigation. Still seems harsh, but there's the reasoning.

Archived