[BOOK SPOILERS] Rant and Rave Without Repercussion

Perhaps for clarity of purpose the thread should be called Rant and Rage, rather than Rave?

The latter tends to denote either delusions (stark raving mad.. No pun), or admiration (raved on and on about the great party).

Unless the purpose was always to allow for negative ranting, and positive raving?

Rant and rave is an idiom...If you change the second word, it kinda kills the purpose of the idiom.It's not an idiom anymore.

rant and rave (about someone or something)
to shout angrily and wildly about someone or something.

What do you think "without repercussion" means?

I think it means you can write whatever you want about the show without repercussion.

You could write 'Its shit that the Dany actress doesn't get naked anymore' and expect no repercussion, for instance.

I think if the thread is purely for rants and raves that are critical of the show, it should define itself as such and if the thread is for a single minded conversation, it should also be included in the title. Rant and Rave without repercussion is vague. 'Rant and Rave about the show, without having the negative direction of the thread destabilized' is not.

They got the idea of having Sansa marry ramsay Bolton (Snow) back in season 2. They feel that Sophie was going to be and is in their minds, a strong actress. My take is that if she shows nudity, it is more the case of identifying her then as a nieve actress who obviously knew she struck gold with no professional experience on a show that took off beyond her wildest expectations.

Jesus Fucking Christ. God be good. I missed that.

So, then this plot has nothing at all to do with anything but their own arrogance, it may in fact be a huge diversion from her actual story.

Rant and rave is an idiom...If you change the second word, it kinda kills the purpose of the idiom.It's not an idiom anymore.

rant and rave (about someone or something)

to shout angrily and wildly about someone or something.

Ah, wasn't thinking that way but more about the poor folks having to keep explaining to show lovers why this thread exits. Makes perfect sense then. Carry on!

I think it means you can write whatever you want about the show without repercussion.

You could write 'Its shit that the Dany actress doesn't get naked anymore' and expect no repercussion, for instance.

I think if the thread is purely for rants and raves that are critical of the show, it should define itself as such and if the thread is for a single minded conversation, it should also be included in the title. Rant and Rave without repercussion is vague. 'Rant and Rave about the show, without having the negative direction of the thread destabilized' is not.

Take it up with the moderators.

The fact that this thread appears in each episode section makes it clear that the ranting and raving is about each new episode.

It would be vague if it was in let's say...the General GoT section.

I actually don't think they get it, at least not the last two books. They said at the beginning that they did this series to film the Red Wedding, and lo and behold this series started going to hell the moment that was over; not that seasons 1-3 were perfect but by and large pretty good. I would agree that they are in way over their heads but the funny thing is that on the logistical side of running they show, where they had no experience, they seem to be OK. By logistical I mean the coordination of multiple units in multiple countries. But they were writers and that is where their ultimate failure lies.

The things they said at the Oxford Union really opened my eyes to them. You're entirely right about their egos are on overdrive, having an actor that writes a multipage letter pleading his case to have his character not die and, being second guessed, wanting to kill the character more. And not knowing Sam was a point of view? How is that even possible for them not to know? Not to mention the Inside the Episode where they thought Needle was Arya's revenge.

That Oxford thing really made me dislike them as people.

But, my working theory for a long time has been that the logistics overwhelm them which is why so many baseline details, continuity issues, even the show being super short on occasion are out of whack. This is how you get Cersei talking about 2 necklaces when the viewer knows there are 3, because for whatever reason there is no person on the staff whose job it is to prevent this kind of stupid stuff from happening and D&D are the LEAST focused on the writing now, and it shows.

They got the idea of having Sansa marry ramsay Bolton (Snow) back in season 2. They feel that Sophie was going to be and is in their minds, a strong actress. My take is that if she shows nudity, it is more the case of identifying her then as a nieve actress who obviously knew she struck gold with no professional experience on a show that took off beyond her wildest expectations.

Thanks for that, I was just curious on it. I never doubted that D&D had the capacity for this stupidity, I just never realized how far it would and could go. I can't even look at the WF story line right now and think it gives us any kind of clue about the books or the totality of the story.

Did they ever explain why they took away Jaime's Riverlands arc?

My guess is that it was a combination of Jaime's aFfC arc not being the easiest to adapt because not a lot happens, show!Dorne needing a sort of protagonist/"good"character to replace Arianne and to be a foil to the Sand Snakes, and Lady Stoneheart getting cut out

Anyway, it's been fun.

I'll see you in the next thread.

Now it is 3.30 am and I should have the episode from when I wake up at 8 or 9 , I ll probably watch it before I head out.

I'll check the thread when I get back.

I'll probably end up having to read through 30-40 pages by then.

LOL

Yup, sounds about right!

Jesus Fucking Christ. God be good. I missed that.

So, then this plot has nothing at all to do with anything but their own arrogance, it may in fact be a huge diversion from her actual story.

Thanks for that, I was just curious on it. I never doubted that D&D had the capacity for this stupidity, I just never realized how far it would and could go. I can't even look at the WF story line right now and think it gives us any kind of clue about the books or the totality of the story.

Yep, that's what I've been saying, too. It's really horrible what they are doing. As soon as she walked out in that dress, I knew she was doomed. But it had been going on long before then.

That Oxford thing really made me dislike them as people.

But, my working theory for a long time has been that the logistics overwhelm them which is why so many baseline details, continuity issues, even the show being super short on occasion are out of whack. This is how you get Cersei talking about 2 necklaces when the viewer knows there are 3, because for whatever reason there is no person on the staff whose job it is to prevent this kind of stupid stuff from happening and D&D are the LEAST focused on the writing now, and it shows.

I'd say your working theory is probably correct. Of course the simple solution is to pick one or the other, writing or show running, and hire people to take over whatever they drop. Their egos would probably prohibit that, and perhaps the budget, but their egos should compel them to see this show as their legacy. Sure it has huge ratings now, but when the hype quiets, the group-think of critics and fans alike fades and people revisit this in 5 years or so, will it hold up in the same way as the Sopranos or The Wire? Second looks with objective eyes tend to tell the true worth of something.

Anyway, it's been fun.

I'll see you in the next thread.

Now it is 3.30 am and I should have the episode from when I wake up at 8 or 9 , I ll probably watch it before I head out.

I'll check the thread when I get back.

I'll probably end up having to read through 30-40 pages by then.

Hey wait, let's not jump the gun...maybe it'll be good :rolleyes:

Archived