Mad Max- Fury Road

AndyBaelish

Nux doesn't treat Max horribly, and has odd expectations that he'd support Nux.

Wait, what? He straps him to the front of his Cruiser as his own personal battery, risks crushing him up against other vehicles and various landscapes, then essentially turns the car he's strapped him to into a Kamikazee Fuel Bomb.

I think you nailed it earlier with your adolescent comparison. Nux does have some endearing teenager-esque qualities, like drawing little faces on and naming his tumours. That being said, just because they are a bit childish doesn't make them any less dangerous or pathological. I agree that they are sympathetic, but only to a degree. Since he gets the benefit of some character development, Nux turns out to be the most sympathetic.

Wait, what? He straps him to the front of his Cruiser as his own personal battery, risks crushing him up against other vehicles and various landscapes, then essentially turns the car he's strapped him to into a Kamikazee Fuel Bomb.
Well, yeah. He's not going to cry if Max lives or dies exactly - but he also talks to him and actually expects Max to be happy to turn in Furiosa and help him out. Like, well, of course that'd be the thing he'd want to do. Just like of course, his blood bag would want to support Nux's quest and glory. Why wouldn't he?

Max is treated like an object. But he's not abused maliciously. Nux isn't compassionate about Max but he doesn't go out of his way to hurt Max or do something truly mean. To him, Max is in his right place and is being treated like he should be. Max should be happy to be doing this, right? He's doing what Joe has ordained. It doesn't even occur to Nux that Max might not like being chained up to the front of a car while being drained of his blood and driven face first into a storm. Why would it?

Max is treated like an object. But he's not abused maliciously. Nux isn't compassionate about Max but he doesn't go out of his way to hurt Max or do something truly mean. To him, Max is in his right place and is being treated like he should be. Max should be happy to be doing this, right? He's doing what Joe has ordained. It doesn't even occur to Nux that Max might not like being chained up to the front of a car while being drained of his blood and driven face first into a storm. Why would it?

Yeah, but that in itself is pretty pathological. Max may as well be a tank of gas, or a can of spray paint as far as Nux is initially concerned. It's not malicious, but he treats Max horribly.

All this isn't mentioning how Max is hunted down at the start of the movie, treated like cattle on the ride back to the Citadel, shaved, stamped, BRANDED, and then hung in a cage. The warboys might not be shown as insane murdering rapists but... "Who killed the world!?"

Seriously. You can say that the warboys were only following orders, but the world decided around 70 years ago that that wasn't an excuse to avoid culpability. They're bad.

The warboys are child soldiers. They're abused, misled, exploited and vulnerable. But they still do terrible things. They are victims but they have victims too. We can sympathise with them and still admit that they do some terrible things.

Were the guys who attacked Furiosa's convoy at the start the same faction as the Canyon Motorbiking guys? They had a sort of similar aesthetic

I'd guess no, as the Canyon Bikers had some sort of deal set up with Furiosa. But you're right, they seemed to have a similar color scheme going on.

I'd guess no, as the Canyon Bikers had some sort of deal set up with Furiosa. But you're right, they seemed to have a similar color scheme going on.

That rust was a very clear indicator of factor allegiance, I think. :P

That rust was a very clear indicator of factor allegiance, I think. :P

WITNESS ME, SMARTASS!!!!

ETA: Well, it wouldn't seem to make much practical sense to spike up or porcupine the bikes the way those cars were, but it did seem like the Canyon Bikers had spikey apparel and headgear and such. So I can see where there might be some sort of assumed connection there.

The warboys are child soldiers. They're abused, misled, exploited and vulnerable. But they still do terrible things. They are victims but they have victims too. We can sympathise with them and still admit that they do some terrible things.

Yep. Exactly. Arguing that Nux viewed Max as an object doesn't make the warboys sound anymore endearing tbh lmao

I guess to me 'nasty' implies some sort of deliberate malice, like they're sadists or enjoy what they're doing. It's both worse and better than that. They view others as property. They give Max about as much thought - probably less - than they do their car.

I'm not claiming that they don't do terrible things. So does Max. So does Furiosa. I'm simply saying that they weren't just evil for its own sake. The reasons they do what they do and who they are make a lot of sense, and I can be pretty sympathetic to them.

So I saw this on Monday. It was the only Mad Max movie I ever saw. I was generally entertained even if I didn't understand some of it. I took my girlfriend with me, she was reluctant to go having an aversion to "boy movies". She liked it enough though still counted all the ways it was a testosterone driven flick.

I noticed I had better see it quick as it had dropped down to having only 3 showtimes a day, compared to a movie like Avengers 2 which even having opened 2 weeks earlier still has 5 or six showtimes daily.

I'm glad I went and may check out the other Max movies.

I can't believe that Nux is this guy.

It is funny considering the car safety connection. He's really well known in the UK as the lead in "skins".

I'm glad I went and may check out the other Max movies.

Oddly, the 3 people I know who watched the originals after Fury Road - hated them. Another friend won't see Fury Road as he gave up 30 mins into Road Warrior. It's so long since I've seen the originals I can't exactly judge (I recall thunderdome being fairly weak) I can't really say but I was surprised at their reactions.

I guess to me 'nasty' implies some sort of deliberate malice, like they're sadists or enjoy what they're doing. It's both worse and better than that. They view others as property. They give Max about as much thought - probably less - than they do their car.

I'm not claiming that they don't do terrible things. So does Max. So does Furiosa. I'm simply saying that they weren't just evil for its own sake. The reasons they do what they do and who they are make a lot of sense, and I can be pretty sympathetic to them.

I think I'm on the same wavelength here. I got the impression they were reckless with putting their blood bag in so much danger but I agree that we can sympathise with their upbringing if not their actions. Plus, given the viking analogy that's present in the film I think it's fair to say Vikings were probably "decent" human beings with regards to their comrades and family - it doesn't mean they weren't monsters when on raids and taking slaves. Or that all non vikings were somehow angelic victims. I think it's something we find hard accepting that people don't fit into a box of uniform good or evil. It's much easier to think everything about a person is bad.

I guess I just don't really understand the discussion on the war boys tbh because I feel sorry for them, I really do and understand how they were essentially indoctrinated since childhood but ...that really doesn't mean they don't do bad things. I'd be scared shitless to come across any of them. The very fact they view it as perfectly normal to capture another person and keep them as a blood bag is horrific, there doesn't need to be any malice for that to be a horrible thing and for me it shows how fucking sinister they and Immortan Joe is for just treating that like a normal thing. They don't appear to be 'sadistic' and they adhere to a hierarchy in their society but they plainly do horrible, horrible things. Maybe they're not 'nasty' but they're certainly a bad bunch. Wonder what will happen to the war boy kids at the citadel now that Joe's dead.

nah mate Joe isn't cheeky at all, max on the other hand is a top lad with top bantz

Cannot help but feel this is a harsh slur on Max. Unless he invented some new form of silent or stoic bantz.

Archived