Mad Max- Fury Road

AndyBaelish

We can't stop talking about this movie, my wife and I. Still.. After two weeks. My 3 year old has heard me talk about it so much that he wants to see it. He keeps asking if Mad Max is at the places we're going, which is comical when it's to the high school or to Safeway or Panera. MAD MAX AT PANERA WOULD BE AMAZING

:)

OH YEAH. All this parody stuff is making me feel happy today.

So yeah, saw it a second time in theaters. Just as awesome, if not more so, the second time around. God damn this is a good movie.

e: I think I want to be a warboy for Halloween.

I WANT TO GO AGAIN. I WANT TO GO AGAIN.

I loved every single second of this movie and I was grinning like a maniac the whole way through. But top moments = the storm! OMG the storm! With the wide shot and then when they were inside with all the slow tornadoes and lightning omg omg. And then the bit later on when Charlize got stabbed but kept on driving and crushing other cars like a total stone cold motherfucking badass and I <3 her 4eva.

Just got back and this was my flixster review

"It's good to see an old property brought back and better than ever. No pandering to a PG wide audience, No need for a trilogy or shared universe, no need in a reboot or even bothering to fit the film into existing continuity, just a damn good action film. I also don't get all the apologetic "there's no plot though" comments - there is exactly the right amount of plot for the story that's been told. We don't need a prequel film for Furiosa and we only need to spend 10 minutes in the Immortal's world to know everything we need to know about the villain. The world building is hinted at and more disturbing for it. Well thought out action scenes (love all the tricks for car piracy) and a level of insanity throughout. Hardy seems drawn to mumbling roles, Hoult has the most complete arc and is endearingly and unnervingly insane and I think Theron has just joined the club of established actor easily transitions into action hero. I hope this makes loads of money at the box office so that other film makers throw out the cookie cutter and take a risk. I'm almost tempted to watch "happy feet" if this is what the director can do!"

I really didn't think it could match the hype after a week of hearing how amazing it was but I guess class stays fresh.

Not sure what one reviewer was thinking when they said Jamie Bell was great in it. I think they meant Nicholas Hoult in which case I agree.

I loved every single second of this movie and I was grinning like a maniac the whole way through. But top moments = the storm! OMG the storm! With the wide shot and then when they were inside with all the slow tornadoes and lightning omg omg.

Hells yeah. That scene was breathtakingly beautiful.

I think at the moment my favourite thing was probably the Doof Wagon, partially for the sheer ludicrous awesomeness of it but also because it actually kind of makes sense within the context of the Warboys' boy-racer-meets-viking-warrior bombastic religion.

I went into this with pretty low expectations and came out thinking this piece of film was damned near a work of art.

Fantastic movie, and by far my favorite cinema experience of the last decade, maybe since The Matrix.

Tremendous film. This is what happens when you give an actual director with vision and talent a decent budget and total carte blanche to do whatever the hell he wants.

I maintain that the Mad Max franchise is basically a remake of The Littlest Hobo with guys with guns and cars instead of a dog, though. They could replace the end credits with the theme tune from the TV show and it would still totally work.

I went into this with pretty low expectations and came out thinking this piece of film was damned near a work of art.

Fantastic movie, and by far my favorite cinema experience of the last decade, maybe since The Matrix.

the matrix is a really good comparison. That was my view too - after leaving the theater I had seen something special, perhaps revolutionary. Fury road was far better paced than the matrix though; the closest nonstop action pacing I could think of that compared was empire strikes back.

the matrix is a really good comparison. That was my view too - after leaving the theater I had seen something special, perhaps revolutionary. Fury road was far better paced than the matrix though; the closest nonstop action pacing I could think of that compared was empire strikes back.

Eh. I found The Matrix's pacing to be literally flawless. It doesn't have to be about non-stop action. It builds up perfectly.

As far as the relentless action pacing goes, The Raid has Fury Road beat, but it's obviously not nearly as strong a film in overall storytelling terms. Though if the director can match the leanness of the first one with some of the smarter story beats of the second one between the bloat, he'll have a hell of a film on his hands.

Max is the main character:

Spoiler
Furiosa is clearly the protagonist of the film, but people are mistaken about Max. She drives the objective, over-all physical story, but Max drives the emotional, personal one. At every turn, at the end of each Act, Max makes a personal decision about what he is willing to do for others that Furiosa observes and it has the effect of earning her increasing trust. He goes from pure survival for himself, to agreeing to share the war truck to escape, to facing antagonists alone while Furiosa and the women escape (and he tells her if he doesn't come back soon enough to drive off without him). That relationship then in turn allows Max to catalyze Furiosa to make the choice at the end of the second Act to return to the citadel to fix things instead of fleeing it. He in turn agrees to fight for them. Therefore Max is the main character of the subjective story. Main characters are always the one with the most change in their personal story and from whom eyes we see the story. Furiosa is both the protagonist of the objective story, and impact / influence character of the relationship story. And finally her own story as the impact character is to seek out the Green Place and learn it no longer exists, but also catalyze Max to change personally. Max ironically becomes a blood donor to her like the blood bag he was named, sacrificing to heal her because she is the leader that is needed for the people at the citadel to reform and survive. He only does that because of the relationship of mutual respect and trust they developed. The death of Immortan Joe is the climax of the objective story, but Max healing Furiosa is the climax of both their relationship story and his personal subjective story.

Yeah, Mad Max and The Matrix were totally different movies, with incomparable tempo and pace, but both stayed in my mind for days after seeing them in theaters. I have been SOOO bored by so many Hollywood movies in the last decade, and i have walked out of countless movies in the theaters. Fury Road, however, ill go see again next week. Thank you George Miller, you freaking legend you!

Thought it was amazing. Thing is, I don't really get caught up in the Feminist impact in the movie I just enjoyed it.

Side note tho. Post apocalyptic movies have a lot of female leads, for movies I have seen in that genre I would say it's 50/50 for male and female.

Doomsday Resident evil come to mind

Do we ever hear Zoe's character named in the film? Because the imdb tells me her name is Toast the Knowing. Awesome.

I bit the bullet and went to see it with my wife's cousin (who's ten years younger than me). I'd heard it was full of feminist tropes and that Max had been relegated to a bit part compared to Furiosa. All turned out to be overblown bullshit. Max is the hero of this movie, it's his redemption arc we were following. The action was balls to the walls spectacular, not a single framed wasted.

Things that bugged me? The whole patriarchal Citadel society with the Big Boss and his harem was maybe over done, he couldn't have been that much of a misogynist if he'd had Furiosa as one his lieutenants. Tom Hardy's accent, literally wtf was going on with that? It looked like he was over dubbed through the whole movie, and he barely had any dialogue? And um that's about it. So two nitpicks for a movie I didn't have high hopes for but ended up loving, so a bit like Day After Tommorow. Will definitely go and see again.

OTOH my wife's cousin hated it. He reckoned there was no plot and it was all just car chases. This dude loves the Fast & Furious movies so go figure?

I bit the bullet and went to see it with my wife's cousin (who's ten years younger than me). I'd heard it was full of feminist tropes and that Max had been relegated to a bit part compared to Furiosa. All turned out to be overblown bullshit. Max is the hero of this movie, it's his redemption arc we were following. The action was balls to the walls spectacular, not a single framed wasted.

Things that bugged me? The whole patriarchal Citadel society with the Big Boss and his harem was maybe over done, he couldn't have been that much of a misogynist if he'd had Furiosa as one his lieutenants. Tom Hardy's accent, literally wtf was going on with that? It looked like he was over dubbed through the whole movie, and he barely had any dialogue? And um that's about it. So two nitpicks for a movie I didn't have high hopes for but ended up loving, so a bit like Day After Tommorow. Will definitely go and see again.

OTOH my wife's cousin hated it. He reckoned there was no plot and it was all just car chases. This dude loves the Fast & Furious movies so go figure?

Yeah, I can't understand how any supposed "man's man" could have issue with this film. It's so ridiculous. I'm just about ready to believe this was all just some sort of contrived internet troll designed to create publicity.

Regarding the dialogue, outside of the first film, Max has always been the strong silent type. I read in another thread that the character had about 15 lines of dialogue in Road Warrior. Haven't fact checked that, but it sounds about right. Add to that that he's supposed to be suffering from some sort of PTSD at the start of this flick, and he more or less operates under a sort of self-imposed isolation as a matter of course.

I like your point regarding Immortan Joe's misogyny. Interesting observation.

Archived