Mad Max- Fury Road

AndyBaelish

I really had no intention to see this film because I couldn't get even 30 minutes into the first Mad Max movie and the trailer for this one made it look like it was nothing but a monster truck/heavy metal thing. But yesterday I wanted to go to the movies and this happened to be the only thing starting and ending in an ideal time slot, so I got it.

I felt sort of gut punched, it was that good. And, um, I'm pretty sure I'm going to go see it again today.

Almost as crushing as double posting, I'd imagine.

MEDIOCRE!

Quite possibly :)

It's certainly feasible that Joe has A LOT of offspring. That's kind of how biology works. If he's unequivocally in charge of everyone then I guess he can breed with every potential mother AND stop any other males from doing so. When times are hard, which they obviously are, you expect that not all of your offspring will survive to adulthood (not to mention being mutated/genetically inferior etc) so it makes good biological sense to have as many as possible. See also, expendable offspring, even when they do survive.

I didn't get the sense that the warboys are his sons/grandsons. I think Joe's sons were the guys around him who were not white-dusted and didn't have a black grease forehead like Furoisa. There were a few of them in Joe's car besides just Rictus.

One thing that did seem odd to me was how difficult it was for Joe to have non-mutated son. If it was just impossible for him that would be one thing, but Splendid's stillborn proves that he could do it, and there were lots of other people around who weren't mutated; so its not like non-mutants were some incredible rarity almost never seen.

There actually wasn't a lot of healthy people in the movie - am pretty sure it is very rare. We have Max, healthy, "full life" AND a universal donar. Other than being possibly born with one arm, Furiosa seems completely healthy and in good shape and then the wives. Most of the other people we see in the movie are the "common folk" who have half lives so it seems and the war boys who all have some sort of terminal illness, both Nux and the bloke working with Furiosa have visible tumors. So with completely healthy and beautiful young wives it makes sense that he would go to extremes to get them back in the CHANCE that they might be strong and healthy boys with full lives.

There actually wasn't a lot of healthy people in the movie - am pretty sure it is very rare. We have Max, healthy, "full life" AND a universal donar. Other than being possibly born with one arm, Furiosa seems completely healthy and in good shape and then the wives. Most of the other people we see in the movie are the "common folk" who have half lives so it seems and the war boys who all have some sort of terminal illness, both Nux and the bloke working with Furiosa have visible tumors. So with completely healthy and beautiful young wives it makes sense that he would go to extremes to get them back in the CHANCE that they might be strong and healthy boys with full lives.

Well, besides Max, Furiosa, and the wives, there was Joe's doctor and the bullet farmer (who seemed to have replaced his teeth with bullets, but otherwise was healthy). That's half the speaking roles in the movie right there. Clearly a lot of people were mutated or otherwise affected by radiation, but I don't think it was overwhelmingly nearly everybody. If Max was that rare, I'd think he'd have been too valuable to let a couple warboys tie him to their car and get him killed; the doctor would've insisted that he stay behind and be used as a donor for years.

Although they do nasty things.
Do they? They weren't ever shown as particularly sadistic or twisted. There was a bit of machismo that you'd associate with a typical warrior culture, but they acted a lot like, well, teenage boys. They were full of energy, emotionally tipsy, jovial and fairly tame. They're not great to Max, but Max is an outsider and useful.

That was one of the more interesting things in the movie to me - the relationship of the Warboys to everyone else. Through Nux we get to see how damaged everyone is thanks to Joe's rule, how everyone's missing something fairly crucial. Through the brides we see the care that they have for their family and their friends - even if it means they'll be in danger, they don't want to kill the warboys. The warboys are never shown as some demented zealots without any redeeming features. They're never maniacal or over the top evil. They're just a bit crazy, they're loyal, and they are being told by their living god what to do and given an opportunity to die as a legend.

I don't think they did anything more nasty than what Max ends up doing. Which is kind of their charm, and one of the many reasons that the movie works. You sympathize with the warboys while sympathizing with Furiosa, sympathizing with the brides (including the one asking why they even left in the first place), and sympathizing with Max - and all of them are at odds with each other at various times. Heck, I can even sympathize with Joe.

Well Furiosa is looking for redemption. Redemption from what? Probably all the terrible shit she did working for Joe. I mean the warboys used people as bloodbags and we're saying they are ok blokes? Hmmm....no fucking way.

I mean the warboys used people as bloodbags and we're saying they are ok blokes? Hmmm....no fucking way.

Yeah, I agree. They were definitely bad guys. Basically religious maniacs that worshipped at the altar of ultra-violence. Sympathetic sure, but tame? No way. I would shit my pants if I came across a group of those guys in the wasteland.

Well Furiosa is looking for redemption. Redemption from what? Probably all the terrible shit she did working for Joe. I mean the warboys used people as bloodbags and we're saying they are ok blokes? Hmmm....no fucking way.

Keeping people as blood-banks definitely fell into the nasty side. I guess it may have been essential but the fact Max had no choice in the matter made it unforgiveable. It was probably the worst example as otherwise the impression was that everyone was out to get you. I'd have been interested to see how Furiosa's gang would have dealt with anyone who fell into their "man-bait" trap. I suspect that would have been nasty too. Then again it's post apocalypse so there you go.

Well, besides Max, Furiosa, and the wives, there was Joe's doctor and the bullet farmer (who seemed to have replaced his teeth with bullets, but otherwise was healthy). That's half the speaking roles in the movie right there. Clearly a lot of people were mutated or otherwise affected by radiation, but I don't think it was overwhelmingly nearly everybody. If Max was that rare, I'd think he'd have been too valuable to let a couple warboys tie him to their car and get him killed; the doctor would've insisted that he stay behind and be used as a donor for years.

Immortan Joe was pretty gross though, all the boils and tumors (????) on his back and the breathing apparatus so it doesn't confuse me why his children would have lots of genetic defects I guess - he probably feels like his best chance is with the healthiest and most attractive girls to bear his children and give him healthy sons which we see is possible with the splendid angharad. More likely but not gauranteed. They were just his PRIZE breeders - and they were all young so who knows what other wives he's kept.

Immortan Joe was pretty gross though, all the boils and tumors (????) on his back and the breathing apparatus so it doesn't confuse me why his children would have lots of genetic defects I guess - he probably feels like his best chance is with the healthiest and most attractive girls to bear his children and give him healthy sons which we see is possible with the splendid angharad. More likely but not gauranteed. They were just his PRIZE breeders - and they were all young so who knows what other wives he's kept.

There were also those big women that were kept for milk. Not sure if that milk was for Joe and his adult sons to drink, or for the newborns, in case the mothers couldn't produce milk.

We see Rictus drink some, and Max washes his face in a bucket of 'mothers milk' after killing the bullet town guys. It's presumably for the upper echelons of Joes society. Rictus didn't get that big without some serious protein.

Yeah, that was my take as well. I would have to imagine it's considered a delicacy of sorts.

I just can't stop thinking about this movie!!!

I'm feeling this way, too. Just saw it for the second time, second day in a row. Not gonna lie, I kind of want to see it again. The story was even better the second time around when I could focus more on dialogue and what some of the action was saying.

I'm feeling this way, too. Just saw it for the second time, second day in a row. Not gonna lie, I kind of want to see it again. The story was even better the second time around when I could focus more on dialogue and what some of the action was saying.

yeah - I thought it was better the second time around as well!!! I really wanna watch it a third time too. Think I might. :P

I looked at the IMDB message boards for fury road and theyre a fucking cesspit of MRAs and anti-feminists....:/ still fucking boggles the mind that they would EVER have a problem with this movie

Nah I'm in the cheeky lads camp now, Immortan Joe for Bishop of Banterbury

nah mate Joe isn't cheeky at all, max on the other hand is a top lad with top bantz

There were also those big women that were kept for milk. Not sure if that milk was for Joe and his adult sons to drink, or for the newborns, in case the mothers couldn't produce milk.

I think as others have said the movies milk is a delicasy drank by Joe and his sons.

I mean the warboys used people as bloodbags and we're saying they are ok blokes?
But that's not their policy specifically. That's the system that Joe's set up. Nux doesn't treat Max horribly, and has odd expectations that he'd support Nux. Because their hierarchy has Warboys on top, and the bloodbags would obviously service them since that's their place.

I don't consider that a nasty thing to do from the perspective of the warboys. It's a nasty system - but it's just as nasty as having wives as property (and everyone going along with it) or having milking machines with women (and everyone going along with it) or having a system where the water is lorded over all sorts of beggars who aren't useful enough to Joe's world to matter to him. I don't think it's the warboys that are nasty specifically.

Also, the milk isn't just a delicacy - it's what they trade. It's one of the things they use to get the fuel from the refinery and bullets from the bullet farmers.

Archived