Mad Max- Fury Road

AndyBaelish

Yeah, I can't understand how any supposed "man's man" could have issue with this film. It's so ridiculous. I'm just about ready to believe this was all just some sort of contrived internet troll designed to create publicity.

Regarding the dialogue, outside of the first film, Max has always been the strong silent type. I read in another thread that the character had about 15 lines of dialogue in Road Warrior. Haven't fact checked that, but it sounds about right. Add to that that he's supposed to be suffering from some sort of PTSD at the start of the flick, and he more or less operates under a sort of self-imposed isolation as a matter of course.

I like your point regarding Immortan Joe's misogyny. Interesting observation.

He has 16 lines in The Road Warrior, although two of them are duplicates ("I only came for the gasoline"), so yeah 15 unique lines. If anything, Max is more expressive in Fury Road since he has all that grunting; as I recall he's pretty much stone cold silent in The Road Warrior.

Well, like a lot of the movie it's a bit more complex than "hate women". The world that immortan joe has created is one of strict hierarchy. Everyone lives to serve joe. If you are good at something he values, he gives you that job. If you are something he wants, he possesses. If you aren't those things, you better stay quiet.

I don't think he views all women as horrible. He views some women as objects. But he pretty much sees everyone that way. He does view some women as a possession and he doesn't appear to do that for men - but there's no sign that he doesn't think they could do something else; it's simply that his values trump their desires.

Note that no one else bats an eye about furiosa's leadership either. They do what she says. They don't wonder why she's in charge. They don't question it at all. She's in that position because she's good at it and joe put her there. Just like the nursemaids, the brides, the war boys and the doof.

This is of course not explained anywhere and is just how the movie is, and it's yet another reason why it's awesome. And much like the handmaids tale, this oppression of women hurts everyone.

Seriously, how fucking good is this movie?

That they can just throw in some pro-disability thing in the movie and no one even bats an eye about it is pretty amazing to me. It's a testament to how they handled, well, everything. Furiosa is a woman, but that's not what defines her. She has only one arm, but that isn't what defines her. Splendid is pregnant, but that's not what defines her. It's a part of her, but it's not even central to her character or who she is. She's an awesome character with complicated feelings and views and the ability to kick ass. She just happens to have one arm. She just happens to be a woman.

Well done, George Miller.

This speaks to that. I hope she does cosplay Furiosa like she said.

This interview with Furiosa's stunt double is interesting too. I checked her twitter account and she seems like a terrific person. Sounds like a hellish shoot, but at least she dragged a war boy home as a new husband.

Also, whilst I realise that $150m is hardly chump change, I cannot fucking believe that this film cost less to produce than, amongst other things, Van Helsing, Sahara, Wild Wild West, Battleship or Oz The Great And Powerful, all of which looked like absolute shit.

I can. Though I have to admit, I'm not particularly familiar with any of those five films, having either seen them years ago, never seen them, or only seen bits and pieces of them. I don't know if Fury Road was written with a view to keeping the budget down (for a film in this genre) but even if it wasn't the script ended up avoiding most of the elements which make modern visual effects films expensive. That is: a signifcant proportion of the shots could be got in camera; there are no CG characters; there is limited need for biological or soft-surface modelling, animation, or simulation; conversely it feature a large amount of hard-surface, rigid-body objects (vehicles, clearly, but also all those rock formations); there are a few large particle/physics simulations (the storm comes most particularly to mind) but they are contained to a couple of chosen specific instances and a large number of extremely low key situations (I imagine they needed to produce a prodigious amount of sand and dust throughout). In terms of setting, characters, story, design, Fury Road is not an especially ambitious visual effects film, something like Battleship is inherently more challenging regardless of the quality of the final product. Fury Road is, of course, a massively ambitious special effects film, and that will push up the budget, but perhaps not to the extent a couple of CG characters would, since they massively complicate everything from pre-production, to the shoot itself, before you even get to all of the visual effects work.

That said, while it is true that this is stunt and special effects based action, even the relatively modest visual effects of this film are massive. There were 2000 odd visual effects shots (though to be fair, a large proportion of these were apparently minor work, and I'm sure it was a very heavily comp based (rather than CG based) pipeline) and a couple of significant CG sequences. There's a good article here about the visual effects of Fury Road as well some before and after pictures showing the kind of effects work that was done. As much as people bitch and moan about how awful CG has made films, I tend to believe that people aren't even aware 85-90% of the visual effects work they see, and this film, for me, is a pretty good example of that.

Eta: Apparently I forgot to link the actual article.

Well, like a lot of the movie it's a bit more complex than "hate women". The world that immortan joe has created is one of strict hierarchy. Everyone lives to serve joe. If you are good at something he values, he gives you that job. If you are something he wants, he possesses. If you aren't those things, you better stay quiet.

I don't think he views all women as horrible. He views some women as objects. But he pretty much sees everyone that way. He does view some women as a possession and he doesn't appear to do that for men - but there's no sign that he doesn't think they could do something else; it's simply that his values trump their desires.

I also think it's interesting that there is another layer with the women which Joe calls his property; that being that they seemingly are the only ones able to potentially reproduce normally and not have genetic mutants and so unlike everything else born in the world after the apocalypse. That's the reason why the Gastown and Bulletfarm leaders join the chase not just because they are (to them) simply Joe's property..

Saw it today. It was BEYOND. MUST be watched on the big screen. So many interesting themes. One that grabbed me was that he was a universal donor, his blood gives life to others, through his blood we shall be redeemed (Furiosa). A lot of Christian allegory there. So, so awesome!!

If I hadn't had dinner reservations after the movie I would have gone right back and bought a ticket for the next viewing.

It was balls to the wall awesome from the first frame, and they really captured the essence of Mad Max. It also made me want to go play Fallout and Wasteland, so that's another point in its favour.

I loved it.

the matrix is a really good comparison. That was my view too - after leaving the theater I had seen something special, perhaps revolutionary. Fury road was far better paced than the matrix though; the closest nonstop action pacing I could think of that compared was empire strikes back.

Yeah after seeing this I was trying to think of other action movies that I came out of feeling totally blown away; I came up with The Matrix and Jurassic Park and that's it. I feel like people said similar things about T2 but I was too young to see it in theaters.

San Andrea opened up this weekend with $53 million domestic while Mad Max opened with only $45 a couple of weeks ago. What is wrong with people?

Also, as to Imortant Joe, He was certainly a misogynist, but I personally believe that trait was just an overall effect of his misanthropy as well. A person either had a use to him like the War Boys or Coma the Doof Player, or he used that person how he saw fit. ( like the breeders or bood bags.)

San Andrea opened up this weekend with $53 million domestic while Mad Max opened with only $45 a couple of weeks ago. What is wrong with people?

One is rated R and one is not.

Yeah. I'm sure there's a lot of kids who'd happily be watching Mad Max if they were allowed. I suspect home release sales will be pretty healthy for Mad Max.

I've read a great many articles about Fury Road and feminism. A lot. But I really enjoyed this piece in particular. 'Fury Road Is More Feminist Than Most Feminists.'

:)

I'm pleased they also saw the logic of why the escaped women were all models. There's even a quick bit of dialogue about how the women are specifically chosen for lack of mutations as well. I did wonder if Furiosa's missing arm was part of the reason she was spared this fate? I suspect it was also because she was already a bad ass and therefore of more value as a weapon.

There's also the fact that Max is more interested in the water than the women as has been discussed here. I guess the scene is ultimately a case of "wanting your cake and eating it" as people can just see the scene as a bit of T&A if they choose not to consider the context.

Yes, but there was something in this week's box office that I did find interesting...

1. San Andreas $53.2 million

2. Pitch Perfect 2 $14.8 million

3. Tomorrowland $13.8 million

4. Mad Max Fury Road $13.7 million

5. Avengers Age of Ultron $10.8 million

So here's what you have... a brand new opening with the Rock and a pre-teen money magnet at the top. Fair enough. Then you have Tomorrowland which we had discussed here as potential bomb material in its second week which could conceivably drop well below Max next week.

But what I found most interesting was that Avengers was a full $3 million behind Max despite being out only one full week longer.

What I get out of that list is that Max may wind up with some staying power.

It is. Which is a little odd, because its a really soft R. There's no sex or nudity, the violence is mostly bloodless and almost entirely gutless, and I'm pretty sure I only heard one 'fuck' said. If the studio wanted, I suspect they could've gotten a PG-13 rating without changing a thing. I imagine that they didn't because of the long history of R-rated '80s franchises being brought back with PG-13 ratings sucking so bad at the box office and wanted to avoid that; but those movies also just sucked on their own merits. This one, obviously, did not.

Mad Max has definitely been receiving stronger word of mouth than eg Avengers which helps it with staying power. Then again Marvel films are pretty top heavy in opening weekends by which point they've already made more than Max ever will.

Jurassic World looks set to blow all of those out the water. Weirdly, I have no interest in it as a cinema view.

Archived