Mad Max- Fury Road

AndyBaelish

I think the low key world building helped my enjoyment a lot. I mean the main antagonists could just have been the generic raider types you see in a lot of post apocalypse stuff instead we get a nice uniqueness to them what with the spray paint huffing/Valhalla/"Witness Me!"-ing and the praying in the shape of a V8 puts it yonks ahead of other stuff.

On the sequel front. I'd be glad for more but hopefully its different enough that it doesn't just feel like the usual retreading most action sequels are becoming

Hell... I don't know how you even begin to retread that.

Well hopefully It's not another 2 hour chase scene. I'd like the see the sort of jumps he's made between the previous Mad Max's

I wonder a) if the plan is still to Charlize Theron in the sequels (the word a few years ago was that she would be) and b ) how she would satisfactorily be written into them considering the end of Fury Road.

Also, having a character return doesn't really seem to fit this world; where Max is the lone wanderer, drifting from story to story.

I wonder a) if the plan is still to Charlize Theron in the sequels (the word a few years ago was that she would be) and b ) how she would satisfactorily be written into them considering the end of Fury Road.

Also, having a character return doesn't really seem to fit this world; where Max is the lone wanderer, drifting from story to story.

From the article I linked above about a possible sequel:

Miller, who began filming Fury Road in 2012, had said several years ago that he planned to shoot two films back-to-back, with the second titled Mad Max: Furiosa, but Warner Bros. has not confirmed that there will be any more films in the franchise.

I also read something that out of the four films that Hardy is contracted for, two are prequels? :dunno:

Also... could we get the first post edited to make this into a spoiler thread? Or should we really start another brand new topic?

Absent a shift in spoiler policy for this thread, I will share this with the appropriate tags; a friend shared it on my Facebook wall today:

Mad Max fan theory will make you want to see Fury Road again.

Basically, the theory is that Max... isn't really the same Max.

There’s a fun fan theory making its way around the interwebs that proposes that Hardy is Max in moniker only. As if Gibson’s Max passed the torch along with his jacket and his V8 Interceptor on to a new Road Warrior…but if this is true, then who is this mysterious man hesitatingly calling himself Max in Fury Road?

Maybe someone not so mysterious after all, someone we were already introduced to long ago, though he was only a boy then…a growling, grunting, boomerang-throwing boy. None other than ‘The Feral Kid’ from Road Warrior (played then by Emil Minty)!

When Max Rockatansky happened upon Pappagallo’s tribe, The Feral Kid became enamored with The Road Warrior — who gave him a small wind-up music box. A music box similar to the one that we see Hardy’s Max have in his possessions, found by one of the wives in the War Rig. And that’s the first major clue at what could be one of the coolest subtle plot points in the Millerverse.

The article then goes on a point by point pro v. con. I don't know if I buy it, but its certainly good.

The theory is kinda out there... but we are on a website entirely devoted to 38 iterations of R+L=J. :lol:

Sooo.

Why would someone who is not actually the original Max be haunted by what appears to be the ghost of the original Max's daughter?

Sooo.

Why would someone who is not actually the original Max be haunted by what appears to be the ghost of the original Max's daughter?

Also, I thought the ending narration of The Road Warrior made it clear that the feral kid lived out his days with the Great Northern Tribe, and in fact eventually became their leader.

Speaking of that narration, it makes it clear that the oceans still exist; which is another reason the "160 days" comment doesn't make sense.

Sooo.

I thought the article said that in RW he had a son, not a daughter. :dunno:

As I say, I don't fully buy it; but there's some interesting points in its favor.

Sooo.

Because in Mad Max, Max has a son. His name is Sprog.

It's a while since I watched the first film, but... even if that's correct, it's not an answer. It's another question. The theory makes no more sense either way:

If the kid in the visions is not meant to be Max's child, then it's someone else. But there's no 'someone else' that makes sense if Max is the Feral Kid.

It could be that the kid is one of the kids from the tribe Max rescues in Beyond Thunderdome, though.

What the fuck did I just witness?!!? :stunned:

That was the most metal thing I have ever seen...

I agree with you. MCGeek has seen one metal-er thing this month in the form of a particularly OTT Loki comic. We both loved this film, though...

Glory be bloodbag!! Is now my favoritie line of any of the four movies narrowly beating out the fighting gets to killing and killing gets to warring speach. Also "Keeper of the Seeds" is a really cool name for a charecter

See you can pick up an established francise years later and have it actually be a very solid movie.

Before I saw all the reviews I thought it was going to be another Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

I need to add my vocie to the many here if you were holding back please go see this.

The Mad Max charecter as something that can continue on as a whole new serise of movies makes a fantastic amount of sense when you consider that these are stories being told to groups of different tribes in the future so doesn't really matter if you are talking about a semi mytholicical guy called

The Road Warrior

Raggedy Man

or

Blood Bag? Doesn't have quite the same ring as the others but it sounds sinister.

That doesn't exactly adress my point, perhaps I should rephrase my original complaint:

I'm okay with Splendid not having the choice (like I said in my previous post). She died before reaching the Mothers and she had been pregnant for quite some time, making an abortion risky anyway. The others though - and particularly the Daenerys lookalike whom we know was pregnant - weren't even showing signs of it. For them, abortion was a viable option still and the fact that the movie doesn't offer them the choice leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Especially since a lot of feminist subtext is apparently layed on this movie. Letting the girls themselves decide whether or not they want to become mothers (especially given the despicable circumstances surrounding the children's conception) seems like feminsm 101 to me. The cynic in me wonders if this was left out out of fear for the reactions of certain groups, particularly in America, which might have an impact on the box-office.

Consider two points in the film

1. The spray painting "Our sons shall not be Warlords". The wives already consider the fetuses thier sons.

2. The Wives refuse to kill Nux early in the chase even when he is a clear danger to them. They flat out say a condition for running was 'No Killing'

I think the combination means that the wives have already decided not to abort Immortan Joe's children..

Consider two points in the film

1. The spray painting "Our sons shall not be Warlords". The wives already consider the fetuses thier sons.

2. The Wives refuse to kill Nux early in the chase even when he is a clear danger to them. They flat out say a condition for running was 'No Killing'

I think the combination means that the wives have already decided not to abort Immortan Joe's children..

IIRC it's no

unnecessary killing - the wives don't object when Furiosa or Max need to crash a pursuit vehicle or shoot a Warboy who's shooting at them. In fact IIRC one or two of them do some shooting themselves.

This is quite important, as I don't think it's necessarily about a general prohibition against killing per se: the issue is that the Warboys are basically victims of Joe too. We see that they're recruited as children and basically brainwashed. I think this is why the wives don't want them killed if it can be avoided.

I'd watched the film thinking Max was having visions of his daughter, like everybody else, so when I realised he'd had a son in the first movie, I just assumed I'd mistaken a little boy for a little girl.

Now I'm just confused. Max being a different Max is a stupid idea so I'd rather assume it's setting up a prequel featuring "Glory the Child" (that's her name apparently). But that seems weird even so.

Archived