Mad Max- Fury Road

AndyBaelish

Ended up going to see it tonight as one of my friends couldn't make it tomorrow.

Absolutely worth seeing in theaters. Awesomeness and complete insanity from start to finish. The cinematography was fucking gorgeous also.

Highly recommend it.

excellent film, Charlize deserves some awards

only quibble is some of the dialogue is hard to understand, and the use of orange/blue filters that infects every film these days and makes them look fake

agree with this review that it's one of the only truly feminist action films

Feminists such as my colleague Sara Stewart complained that “Avengers: Age of Ultron” was sexist. Often you hear women complain that there should be more female superheroes and that they should kick as much heinie as the boys do.

This is a bit reductive. “Fury Road” actually goes a step beyond that and expends some thought on what the actual place of women might be in the world it imagines. After the apocalypse, what then?

A return to the savagery that obtained for most of history. Brutality, enslavement, institutionalized rape. Genghis Khan. A de-civilized world in which sheer physical strength and aggression determined each person’s place in the hierarchy would not work out to women’s advantage. Women would become property.
In a Marvel film, though, the wives’ solution would be to go all Black Widow on their captors, or at least for Furiosa to simply bust in and shoot up the place.
That isn’t what happens in “Fury Road.” Theron’s character is tough, but she’s primarily a driver, not a martial-arts champion. In a scene in which Max tries to take out their pursuers with a huge gun, she turns out to be the better shot, but the reason is that she uses her head: He made the mistake of trying to fire the weapon unsupported, but she cleverly uses Max’s shoulder as a tripod to stabilize it. The film doesn’t pretend that Furiosa has the same muscle power as Max and the boys. But she is wily and resourceful...
...Still, the ultimate purpose of what everyone’s up to is preserving the freedom and dignity of the liberated women, whose well-being is essential to any possibility of re-launching a sophisticated civilization where barbarism is no longer the order of the day. It’s a much more mature and thoughtful basis for a blockbuster than, say, all the silly talk about magical amulets in “Avengers: Age of Ultron.” “Mad Max: Fury Road” is the rare action blockbuster that fully acknowledges the importance of women.

I think it's a distressing indication of the state of things that a film is considered feminist mostly just because women drive the plot. Mind you, if this is feminist, so is Alien and particularly Aliens.

women's liberation drives the plot

I just have a big problem with the guys who want to watch post-apocalyptic film after post-apocalyptic film where women are beaten and raped and killed. yes, if the world turned to shit then men would rape and kill each other and they would rape and kill women, but only having films where thats what happens to women or theyre lame love interests or damsels in distress to be saved by some hulking man who has sex with them at the end are just gross and boring to me. this film looks so fuckin refreshing, all that ive read about it points to women helping each other fight back against their former oppressors??? sounds great. i think its absolutely wonderful miller hired a prominent feminist who had worked with rape survivors in 3rd world countries to consult the ladies in this movie and to advice him on how women would react to certain traumas. good on the bloke.

this isnt so much about mad max, going on a little tangent i also have a bit of a problem with the people that go ON AND ON about how UNREALISTIC it is to have women competent and physically strong in combat in freaking ACTION MOVIES which are always over the top, yeh it would look lame to have a skinny girl picking up some hulking dude and throwing him around like BAM BAM'S club but just showing fight scenes or women that are competent in fighting scenes isn't really ''feminist'' it's just an action movie having men and women on generally equal footing. i don't see why thats so TERRIBLY UNREALISTIC AND SOOOO AWFUL in a freakin crazy action film.

those return of king dudes can stew in their own cess pit of hatred and misogyngy and miss out on what looks like a real kick ass movie!

I just have a big problem with the guys who want to watch post-apocalyptic film after post-apocalyptic film where women are beaten and raped and killed. yes, if the world turned to shit then men would rape and kill each other and they would rape and kill women, but only having films where thats what happens to women or theyre lame love interests or damsels in distress to be saved by some hulking man who has sex with them at the end are just gross and boring to me. this film looks so fuckin refreshing, all that ive read about it points to women helping each other fight back against their former oppressors??? sounds great. i think its absolutely wonderful miller hired a prominent feminist who had worked with rape survivors in 3rd world countries to consult the ladies in this movie and to advice him on how women would react to certain traumas. good on the bloke.

this isnt so much about mad max, going on a little tangent i also have a bit of a problem with the people that go ON AND ON about how UNREALISTIC it is to have women competent and physically strong in combat in freaking ACTION MOVIES which are always over the top, yeh it would look lame to have a skinny girl picking up some hulking dude and throwing him around like BAM BAM'S club but just showing fight scenes or women that are competent in fighting scenes isn't really ''feminist'' it's just an action movie having men and women on generally equal footing. i don't see why thats so TERRIBLY UNREALISTIC AND SOOOO AWFUL in a freakin crazy action film.

those return of king dudes can stew in their own cess pit of hatred and misogyngy and miss out on what looks like a real kick ass movie!

There was actually a woman fighter in the second Mad Max movie as well. Actually several I think, when you count the bad guys. I don't think Max ever had sex with anyone except for his wife who died in the first movie either.

Yeah, that's fair enough.

yeh it would look lame to have a skinny girl picking up some hulking dude and throwing him around

You basically just called Kick-Ass (well, Hit Girl) lame. Not having that, nuh-uh.

Just got back from seeing it. Loved it! Best action movie I've seen in years.

Oh, and the actress that played The Dag would have made an absolutely perfect Daenerys. That's pretty much exactly how I picture her. Abbey Lee

http://imdb.com/rg/an_share/name/name/nm3880181/

I think this was the best action movie I've ever seen in the theater. It was also my first time at a dine in theater which was pretty cool lol. The guitar playing war boy was the best :D

It's an extension of the themes of the series, people fighting over people as a resource, rather than over oil or food.

It's not feminist for the sake of feminism, it's just done well by a director that's clearly considered that stuff.

I'm not sure it's even passing the bechdel test by that much for the first half of the film, the escapees are mostly talking about Immortan Joe between themselves.

And what about the half naked hosing eh? What purpose does that scene serve other than to get hot girls wet?

Yeah, that's fair enough.

You basically just called Kick-Ass (well, Hit Girl) lame. Not having that, nuh-uh.

no man she just shoots and stabs them mostly that's fine :cool4: kick ass couldn't be lame if it tried anyway love that movie

excellent film, Charlize deserves some awards

only quibble is some of the dialogue is hard to understand, and the use of orange/blue filters that infects every film these days and makes them look fake

agree with this review that it's one of the only truly feminist action films

I'm going to see it tonight, so i can't comment on the actual film yet - but the logic of the review and men's rights/feminism is kind of hilarious.

The idea that men and women have equal determination, drive and intellectual prowess, even if men are generally built with more physical strength, isn't a political revelation - it's obvious. Stupid, strange world where something can be presented with simple realism and it is called feminist. I think people just like applying 'ism's' to things to make themselves feel like their thoughts matter :)

You know Jane was a feminist? Tarzan could swing through the trees and shit, because of upper body strength, but Jane had greater willpower and adaptation by learning to mentally accept jungle life without primate nurturing like Tarzan :D

This was good - very similar to MM2. Vehicles, action and stunts were awesome. I'd give it an 8, about the same as what I'd give MM2 - it is what it is but its very good at what it is.

I saw it with my son and his friend, who are both 15 and his friend noted 'That film had like no story, did it?' But they both loved the vehicles and OTT action.

None of us picked up on any kind of political or sexual agenda either way.

It's an extension of the themes of the series, people fighting over people as a resource, rather than over oil or food.

It's not feminist for the sake of feminism, it's just done well by a director that's clearly considered that stuff.

I'm not sure it's even passing the bechdel test by that much for the first half of the film, the escapees are mostly talking about Immortan Joe between themselves.

And what about the half naked hosing eh? What purpose does that scene serve other than to get hot girls wet?

Well, the Bechdel test isn't exactly foolproof. It makes sense that they'd be talking about Immortan Joe considering they just escaped captivity and he's actively chasing them across the desert. If they hadn't talked about Joe, or Max, then we'd be sitting here saying 'the director was trying so hard to appear feminist that the women weren't even talking about events that were directly relevant to their situation!!! What a toolbag!'

As far as the hosing, personally I had no issues with it. It showed that Immortan Joe clearly considered them eye candy, and that Max had next to no sexual interest in them as he was focused solely on the water and boltcutters.

Just got back from seeing it. Loved it! Best action movie I've seen in years.

Oh, and the actress that played The Dag would have made an absolutely perfect Daenerys. That's pretty much exactly how I picture her. Abbey Lee

http://imdb.com/rg/an_share/name/name/nm3880181/

I thought the same thing about Dany, that actress has an almost otherworldly beauty to her, plus not a whig, I hate that fucking whig. Although I wonder if she has that sort of strength Dany is suppose to project? She may be more the maid in the Tower, who looked like Dany but did not have that edge to her.

I tought it was really good, as an action movie it was great. Love practical effects an stunts, and there are a ton of them in this movie. I was a little disappointed in Max though, Theron drives the movie, and Hardy could not keep up. He was good but I guess growing up with Mel in the role leaves a sour taste. It did not feel like his movie it felt very much like her movie. Which is fine, it felt like this movie was meant to introduce Furiosa, rather than to tell the ongoing story of Max, and again I had some disconnect with Hardy in the role. It's like someone else playing Han Solo. Not to say I approve of some of Mel's past but he was Max.

I don't know he just fell flat for me while Theron was rocking the part. It should of been called Mad Max Furiosa's road keep the fuck out of my way. When Hardy said he was the road warrior I was like, ummmm not really, you were not in that movie. It's a really good action flick but he did nothing from me. Though I did keep doing the Bane voice in the theater. "Turn off your phones" "Would you like a $20 bag of popcorn?" "Sour Patch?" "Two men enter, Batman leaves."

Saw it today. I thought it was great. I thought the characters were almost too minimalist at times, but the action scenes (aka 98% of the movie) were some of the best I've ever seen.

Archived