If ratings suffer, do you think HBO would drop GoT before the finale

magic713

If the ratings were bad enough, sure. That being said, its unlikely to be a problem, given that its still pulling very strong ratings and has been renewed for season 6. Unless the ratings were to completely collapse during S6, its likely that HBO would give them a 7th season to finish it, which would likely be the final season, anyway. There's little incentive for HBO to pull the plug at this point.

I can see season 7 as the earliest finale they can smash all the stories together completely(but it would be a mess since there's still so many content), which makes me think there will be more seasons. It's just that, if worse comes to worst, they will end it at 7. Which is unlikely.

Basically given they're already making season 6 that's a given. I suppose if the remaining season 5 episodes were just epically sucktacular and season 6 got off to a just as bad start it could happen. But pretty much the series has built up enough momentum to coast to season 7 without much issue.

Nope. If it drops enough the budget might be quietly reduced some; but right now this is HBO's flagship show. Its not going to be just cancelled before its time. And of course, while the live ratings have been dropping (at least for the US, we have no idea about other countries), we don't know what the 7-day ratings are or how much merchandise and DVDs are still moving or if any subscribers are dropping. And those are the things HBO cares about, not live ratings.

As for next week, its memorial day weekend, so I expect the live ratings to drop pretty badly (they certainly have in the other seasons when that weekend was skipped; I'm thinking maybe 5.5 million). Question is how much they pick back up for episode 8.

Well it would be poetic justice if they did. Then lots of the folks on here could go back to waiting for GRRM to finish the series on the 12th of Never.

Seriously though , Season 6 will be a barnburner, will quickly make renewal a formality. Season 7 could be a bit trickier as the magic quotient shoots up.

Book readers would like for that to happen :D

In reality, book readers are a very small group of people who watch Game of Thrones and have very little say in whether the show is a success or not. Numbers have only slightly dropped and remain very high for a TV show, but downloads keep increasing, which shows you that it's becoming more popular every week but not all watch it live on TV.

Tsk, tsk, you know nothing unsullied.

Conservatively speaking: Book 1-3 granted 4 seasons of TV, what they are doing to AFFC and ADWD is pretty unclear at this point. Had you asked me during season 4, my answer would have been that the series could reach 10 seasons easily. Season 5 has proved that they no longer intend on keeping the series in line with the books (AFFC and ADWD could easily be 2-4 seasons), so at this point it is anybodys guess. If the series was based on the pure content of the books then 7 seasons would be pessimistic, currently though I think we are looking at 8 season at the very very very minimum.

A Game of Thrones ∽ Season 1

A Clash of Kings ∽ Season 2

A Storm of Swords ∽ Season 3&4

A Feast for Crows ∽ Season 5?

A Dance with Dragons ∽ Season 5?

The Winds of winter ∽ Future season(s)

A Dream of Spring ∽ Future season(s)

Hopefully if the ratings drop just enough, they'll use the controversy as justification to fire D&D and appoint Bryan Cogman showrunner. If there's enough good faith, they might be able to get him to do more than seven seasons, like they want.

Hopefully if the ratings drop just enough, they'll use the controversy as justification to fire D&D and appoint Bryan Cogman showrunner. If there's enough good faith, they might be able to get him to do more than seven seasons, like they want.

Rank Shows Net Day Time Viewers

1 GAME OF THRONES HBOM Sun 09:03P-10:00P 6,559,000

2 NBA PLAYOFFS-CONF SEMIS L ESPN Fri 08:04P-10:43P 5,614,000

3 NBA PLAYOFFS- ROUND 2 L TNT Sun 08:30P-11:32P 5,030,000

4 NBA PLAYOFFS-CONF SEMIS L ESPN Fri 10:43P-01:20A 4,989,000

Archived