Worst dialogue yet

Forlyng

Fat Pink Mast are the words of a boy who is having sex for the first time and it's very much a foreigner about his own body. He has never seen his own penis "acting" in that way with a woman.

I suspect he's seen the fat pink mast acting that way when thinking about a woman.

I think he was a wee bit drunk on rum and Gilly, and being self-deprecating.

I don't know if this really counts as bad dialogue or bad writing, but Stannis not knowing what the Dance of the Dragons (probably the most important war in the history of the Iron Throne) was struck me as veeeeeeery bad.

I agree with WSmith84 that the Break the Wheel speech was just...ugh. Painful. And so blithely unaware. Tyrion made a comment to Hizdahr at the pit later that was basically that sure, you say death and pain are a part of ruling because you've benefited from it and so assume that is the only way it can be. I actually really liked that line (wish I could remember it exactly), but it seemed to me to stand in stark contrast to what Dany was saying. I hope this signals that Tyrion is going to counsel her away from FIRE&BLOOOODDDD!!!OMG!!!, but I'm not holding my breath that she would listen.

I don't know if this really counts as bad dialogue or bad writing, but Stannis not knowing what the Dance of the Dragons (probably the most important war in the history of the Iron Throne) was struck me as veeeeeeery bad.

Atrocious.

"Do not prate at me of history, ser. Daemon Blackfyre was a rebel and usurper, Bittersteel a bastard. When he fled, he swore he would return to place a son of Daemon's upon the Iron Throne. He never did. Words are wind, and the wind that blows exiles across the narrow sea seldom blows them back.

Atrocious.

"Do not prate at me of history, ser. Daemon Blackfyre was a rebel and usurper, Bittersteel a bastard. When he fled, he swore he would return to place a son of Daemon's upon the Iron Throne. He never did. Words are wind, and the wind that blows exiles across the narrow sea seldom blows them back.

It would appear all the highborn of the previous generation were utterly deprived of good maesters to teach them history. Time for tinfoil conspiracy Preston Jacobs-style thread explaining this!

Atrocious.

*Sigh*

Just reread some of the Northern chapters today. How could anyone prefer the Sansa and Stannis stuff we got in the show? Or even think it's of comparable quality? Those chapters are brilliant.

*Sigh*

Just reread some of the Northern chapters today. How could anyone prefer the Sansa and Stannis stuff we got in the show? Or even think it's of comparable quality? Those chapters are brilliant.

I know, it's beyond me. Last night I re-read the Theon I sample chapter three times. :)

Yeah, especially because in the books Stannis is actually Team Green.

It would appear all the highborn of the previous generation were utterly deprived of good maesters to teach them history. Time for tinfoil conspiracy Preston Jacobs-style thread explaining this!

Cressen's lazy ass deserved to get poisoned for negligence.

Im quite sure he wants his daughter to explain it to him

2. You can keep calling the books pulp, it doesn't make it so. There are chapters that are easily as good as some novels that are considered literary classics. The storytelling itself is better than many literary classics. I've just read Brave New World, Fahrenheit 451 and Nineteen Eighty-Four for one of my students' literature exam. While all three make more interesting comments on their immediate historical context than ASOIAF does, they are all rather weak from a storytelling point of view - they have unconvincing characters, a rather simple, often unsurprising plot - Martin is the better storyteller. Their writing style isn't by any means better than that of, for example, the Theon chapters. So no, by no literary criteria is it pulp.

Just to make that clear: Storytelling is pulp. Always. To tell a story is entertainment, it will never advance art or human knowledge. Storytellers come and go, and are soon forgotten. Art/literature is about language and/or deeper reflections on life (philosophical, sociological, psychological...). A teacher should know this.

I found the plot of Finnegan's Wake rather unsurprising, too.

Fantasy is entertainment, and there's nothing wrong with it. GRRM tells his stories well, but he's not a subject for literature studies. Tolkien is somewhat relevant as an example for a British conservative's reaction to contemporary politics (that evil empire in the East, that rose in 1917...), but certainly no artist, either.

Bronn badly needs pussy, or a bad pussy. We all do sometimes.

The Night Watchers are celibatory soldiers, a great oxymoron. Of course, Jon and Sam talk about sex, their second topic would be getting wasted.

Fat Pink Mast are the words of a boy who is having sex for the first time and it's very much a foreigner about his own body. He has never seen his own penis "acting" in that way with a woman.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bad pussy is actually miles better than this. "Fat pink mast" why just why George? :stillsick:

Storytelling is pulp. Always. To tell a story is entertainment, it will never advance art or human knowledge. (...)

Fantasy is entertainment, and there's nothing wrong with it. GRRM tells his stories well, but he's not a subject for literature studies. Tolkien is somewhat relevant as an example for a British conservative's reaction to contemporary politics (that evil empire in the East, that rose in 1917...), but certainly no artist, either.

Reading that in the XXIth century. :bang: :crying:

I think no one had fallen so low for the sole purpose of bad dialog apology before.

Ugh that break the wheel speech made me cringe de la cringe. It was as bad as that time Dany said: "I shall doooo what Queefns do.... I shall roool". :bang:

Yeah, the whole Dany as some sort of "Revolutionary" bit only works in Essos. She is literally not bringing anything new except for the reintroduction of "death by dragon" to Westeros. Now if we're talking about her desire to bring justice to each and every social order regardless of wealth or power, I direct the D's and anyone new to the books to the words of one Stannis Baratheon:

"I shall bring justice to Westeros. A thing Ser Axell understands as little as he does war. Claw Isle would gain me naught... and it was evil, just as you said. Celtigar must pay the traitor's price himself, in his own person. And when I come into my kingdom, he shall. Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. And some will lose more than the tips off their fingers, I promise you. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that" --- Stannis (the real one, not the imposter) Baratheon, a Storm of Swords.

Honestly "I'm not a politician, I'm a queen" still gets me more.

:lmao: Oh god, that line. Actually all of ShowDany's lines. Amazing enough, but ShowDany has made me feel protective of BookDany, and I do not like BookDany all that much. In retrospect, I can see just how good her character is despite all the wonderful plot conveniences her character skates upon compared to the equally as plot-armored but far more atrociously presented ShowDany.

Maybe its Emilia Clarke, but her recent quip about Dany learning a sense of humor from Tyrion makes me think its more the writing. D & D have one note for Dany, and its wholly artificial Grrrrrrlllll Power/ deep voiced pronunciations of "badass" or "revolutionary" lines. Gone is the Dany who wielded charm like a stiletto and actually seemed like a human woman with a pulse. Gone is the very internally conflicted girl still trying to find her way (she's only 16 after all) and dealing with issues much more urgent and dire than ShowDany (the Siege of Meereen vs. the magically reappearing/disappearing ninja Sons of the Harpy). And gone is the girl who when all her artifice is burnt away literally and metaphorically confidently stands beside Drogon when a Dothraki khalasar comes a-riding. Instead we have "I'll drop a ring so some men can save me later. Fire and Blood bitches!!!"

Reread Arys' chapter when he's with Arianne. She pretty much tells him the same Tyene tries (and fails) to say but she's waaaaaaaaaaay classier about it.

Bad pussy is the words of a sexually liberated woman who feels secure in her own body. She knows how sex works and is open to talking about it. It's very much in line with her character and the Dornish atmosphere she was raised in.

Boom

Archived