Rant and Rave Without Repercussion 3 (Book Spoilers)

Veltigar

Well people, we have our first look at some of D&D's "deeply profound" prose for the next season:

T

This scene seems all mixed up. If Tyrion and Varys are displaying this kind of attitude towards her, why on earth are they seeking her help?

:wub: Me, too.

Group head-smack! :bang:

Yes, I thought the same.

:agree:

That's the ghastly upshot of their nasty deviation.

The best we can hope for is LF trying to convince Sansa to somehow depose her little brother and her refusing and working against LF at last. :dunno:

I thought his giggles and mannerisms were part of his front. His voice drops when he's talking to Ned and to Kevan on those two occasions - I thought that was perhaps a clue that the whole thing is a façade, to be revealed later. Am I on my own there?

Nope, I love Book!Varys :)

He jests at scars that never felt a wound.

And to make it worse, they keep saying she will now live for her brothers, give up her own story, which I'm sure is not about the search for Rickon at all, to search for him. It's like she had nothing to offer the story but that. Just because Benioff and Weiss decided for her to be Jeyne Poole, it's not like she had anything better to do.

Ugh, because Sansa doesn't have her own story and her own arc, now she needs to take on Davos'?

What I think will happen: she will tell Davos somehow, and he will then go and look himself. She will then return to WF or the Vale with BF. Or, go along with Davos, maybe with Brienne and Pod and possibly Theon too (ugh). This is of course assuming they don't forget that she knows at all, as they did with Jon and Bran (ugh).

And then they had her say this... to TALISA (3x02):

I'm filled with hate for that scene once again. Everything that happened - Ned dying, everyone going to war, her daughters captives of KL, Theon taking over WF and killing her sons...all of it ALL OF IT is punishment for her not loving Jon Snow. Um...HOW?! WTF?!

Does Varys even have a big agenda in the show? Is he seriously going to be some kind of true Dany believer who will just chill in Meereen and help St. Tyrion rule for her?

You mean the Che GueVarys? He's all for the rights of the working class and whatnot

Moqorro was one of my favorite minor characters of Dance. They coulda stuck him in there but yeah pretty sure your question is rhetorical in regards to this show :P

I mean I sort of feel like this chick might be a composite of Benerro, Moqorro and Vogarro's Whore. She'll be the one sparking Slave Revolts across Essos. So they went with a female. But obviously she needed to be sexed up on the show, rather than an old woman. Can't wait until they cast a buxom 18 year old as the Green Grace.

Gods be good, s 6 is a year away and there are already plot holes on the audition tapes! LOLOLOLOL

Kinvara: “Everyone is what they are and where they are for a reason. Terrible things happen for a reason. Take what happened to you, Lord [Varys], when you were a child. If not for the mutilation by the second-rate sorcerer, you would not be here, helping the Lord’s Chosen bring light into this world. Knowledge has made you very powerful … but there is still so much you don’t know. Do you remember what you heard, the night the sorcerer tossed your parts into the flames? Should I tell you what the voice said? Should I tell you the name of the one who spoke or where it lives?”

Calling it now, they're going to forget that Varys had the guy in a cage! LOLOLOLOL

Gods be good, s 6 is a year away and there are already plot holes on the audition tapes! LOLOLOLOL

Kinvara: “Everyone is what they are and where they are for a reason. Terrible things happen for a reason. Take what happened to you, Lord [Varys], when you were a child. If not for the mutilation by the second-rate sorcerer, you would not be here, helping the Lord’s Chosen bring light into this world. Knowledge has made you very powerful … but there is still so much you don’t know. Do you remember what you heard, the night the sorcerer tossed your parts into the flames? Should I tell you what the voice said? Should I tell you the name of the one who spoke or where it lives?”

Calling it now, they're going to forget that Varys had the guy in a cage! LOLOLOLOL

I think they mean the demonic voice to be fair.

I'm more bugged about...the existence of this character.

Kinvara: Everyone is what they are and where they are for a reason. Terrible things happen for a reason. Take what happened to you, Lord [Varys], when you were a child. If not for the mutilation by the second-rate sorcerer, you would not be here, helping the Lords Chosen bring light into this world. Knowledge has made you very powerful but there is still so much you dont know. Do you remember what you heard, the night the sorcerer tossed your parts into the flames? Should I tell you what the voice said? Should I tell you the name of the one who spoke or where it lives?

Think she means the voice that spoke back to the sorcerer.

To add to my previous comment, I do not believe that even most of the people who didn't read the books would find the show rewatchable, if they tried. They would see all the flaws in between the scenes that are meant to shock and also must be meant to neutralize the critical thinking.

The show writers do not miss a chance to mention the books in their interviews, as if implying their work is a real thing too, while not aiming for longevity at all. They are like people who sell plastic copies of everything, trying to make the most money, before someone else finds a way to do and sell it cheaper. And those people now have the power over the story. I hope I am done talking :angry:

The casting calls that just came out the other day mentioned three boys. One is supposed to be big for his age, and they're looking for a kind int he 10-12 range to play 7-8 years old. The other two are mentioned as using wooden swords, one blue eyed and one green eyed. The assumption is that the two sword wielders are in the same scene but I don't know if there's confirmation that the bigger kind is. I hesitate to assume anything but many believe that this is related to a Ned/Robert flashback. I'm not sure I subscribe to that particular notion but I still find the oddly specific descriptions to be in keeping with them relating to characters we've already seen as adults, rather than the more random, older flashbacks Bran sees in the books. I just don't think they are going to be intentionally random or meaningless, or a whim of the producers at this point in time any more than Cersei's flashback was intended as a random moment. It ended up being one, but I don't think that was the intent. It was just a side effect of general ineptitude.

Yeah, I know what you're saying. Wooden swords made me think of Winterfell/Starks, but that's because of Bran's vision with Lyanna and Benjen. I wouldn't put it past them to *improve* the scene and have it with other characters instead but it's not likely...

Blue and green eyed boys... I thought of Robb and Theon as kids but Theon only becomes Ned's ward at 9 (I think), and I don't see the purpose of a scene like this so late in the game.

Good grief, that dialogue is just pure guff. Hurrah for St. Tyrion who will save us from sinner burnings, not like bad Satannis! We would never have that was morally wrong without D&D to guide our thinking.

*throws toys out of pram*

I think we are reading way too much into this casting thing: remember when they announced Yezzan and we were sure that meant there would be a siege of Meereen? Or when they cast the contortionist just for a meaningless scene with Bronn? Or Lollys Stokeworth?

This guy will probably be onscreen for 30 seconds and somehow be part of a Littlefinger or Tyrion scene ;)

There was also a casting call for Varamyr Sixskins for season 5. What was that all about?

Benerro is High Priest of R'hllor in the books. This is literally where the show is now, replacing old men with hot women for sex appeal.

When they are not changing women in positions of political power into men (Doran's and Oberyn's mother the ruling Princess of Dorne => Doran's and Oberyn's father the ruling Prince of Dorne; Lady Blackmont => Lord Blackmont; Arianne, the heir to Dorne => Trystane, the heir to Dorne; Nymeria Sand on the Great Council => Trystane Martell on the Great Council...).

Yeah, I know what you're saying. Wooden swords made me think of Winterfell/Starks, but that's because of Bran's vision with Lyanna and Benjen. I wouldn't put it past them to *improve* the scene and have it with other characters instead but it's not likely...

Blue and green eyed boys... I thought of Robb and Theon as kids but Theon only becomes Ned's ward at 9 (I think), and I don't see the purpose of a scene like this so late in the game.

Yeah, Theon was 9 or 10 and these kids are 7 or 8. And yeah, I can't see that fitting his mess of a character arc. Similarly, I saw someone suggest that this related to Littlefinger and Cat, but I'm not sure how that would fit in either agewise or in terms of story. Granted, BF is looking rather poised to be an avenging hero next season, so who knows?

Wouldn't Saint Tyrion qualify as character assassination as well?

Most definitions, that's done with the intent of making people like the person less. In this case, while book readers find him odious this way, I do think the intent is that viewers like him more, and I think show only viewers do like him more.

"the act of saying false things about a person usually in order to make the public stop liking or trusting that person"

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/character%20assassination

Archived