Rant and Rave Without Repercussion: Season 5 Continued (Book Spoilers)

RGBeyondAsshai

I thought it was quite good, but it just took up time as it didn't really add much in a season that felt so rushed in many other areas.

I find it strange when people say that really great scenes take up time! Isn't it better to fill the show with good scenes! I could watch hours of Tyrion banter with everyone.

And actually it didn't take up all that much time, and it managed to get Tyrion to meet Dany in a 10th of the time that the books managed, without all the nonsense of playing Cyvasse and wondering if some kid is who he says he is, being on a boat with some other dwarf who just cries constantly and generally just mumbling about whores constantly.

I find it strange when people say that really great scenes take up time! Isn't it better to fill the show with good scenes! I could watch hours of Tyrion banter with everyone.

And actually it didn't take up all that much time, and it managed to get Tyrion to meet Dany in a 10th of the time that the books managed, without all the nonsense of playing Cyvasse and wondering if some kid is who he says he is, being on a boat with some other dwarf who just cries constantly and generally just mumbling about whores constantly.

It didn't add anything to the story, it didn't do much for the characters, it didn't do much apart from provide a few entertaining scenes. When they messed up so many characters' development and attributed it to them not having enough time in a season then you look at these scenes and start to think, "do they really NEED these scenes?".

You seem to be missing the point of this thread to a degree where it appears you are trolling. Every one of your posts so far has been a defense of the show or an attempt to refute others criticisms, and this thread is not purposed to debate the merit of the show but as an outlet for criticism. I suggest you read the OP.

Yea, what you people don't know is that Jorah has secretly been a ranger all his life and that Daario has elf eyes.

And Dany's ring is infused with Dragon magick! It all fits, 'cuz they want it too.

And Dany's ring is infused with Dragon magick! It all fits, 'cuz they want it too.

I'm thinking it has to be magic, how else are they going to find it? Even if they somehow find Drogon's lair (how do you track something that flies) it isn't like she dropped the ring right next to his liar. There have to be thousands of square feet of trampled grass in that area to boot, making finding it seem ever more silly. Bets that they 'track' her from Drogon's lair to the ring, despite the fact literally dozens of horses stamp the grass into the ground in that area, llikely destroying any sign of her passage?

I'm thinking it has to be magic, how else are they going to find it? Even if they somehow find Drogon's lair (how do you track something that flies) it isn't like she dropped the ring right next to his liar. There have to be thousands of square feet of trampled grass in that area to boot, making finding it seem ever more silly. Bets that they 'track' her from Drogon's lair to the ring, despite the fact literally dozens of horses stamp the grass into the ground in that area, llikely destroying any sign of her passage?

Perhaps Jorah's elf eyes can see a 'Dragon' glow on it, or something. Perhaps Darrio will stub his toe on the ring. In real life a horse would step on the ring and it would end up lodged in the hoof, laming the horse. It would then be pulled out by the rider, who would keep such a valuable item. But GOT is so far from logic or good storytelling so...

As for 'tracking' Drogon, they'll just follow the contrails.

I'm thinking it has to be magic, how else are they going to find it?

The ring actually reminded me of Clash of the Titans-the original with Harry Hamlin. Do you remember the ring that was the riddle?

“In my mind’s eye I see, three circles joined in priceless harmony. Two, full as the moon; one, hollow as a crown. Two from the sea, five fathoms down. One from the Earth, deep under the ground...”

I can't share the image of her dropping it, but it definitely looked like the same ring to me

Maybe it is magical :)

Does anyone doubt they are going to find the ring?

They did a close up of her dropping it, and then back slapped themselves for how it showed her intelligence in their personal vanity project "Inside the Episode". The chances that Aragorn Jorah and Legolas Daario find that stupid ring: 100%

Does anyone doubt they are going to find the ring?

They did a close up of her dropping it, and then back slapped themselves for how it showed her intelligence in their personal vanity project "Inside the Episode". The chances that Aragorn Jorah and Legolas Daario find that stupid ring: 100%

I doubt they would've had that in there if it wasn't going to be important later on. Chekhov's Ring?

The ring actually reminded me of Clash of the Titans-the original with Harry Hamlin. Do you remember the ring that was the riddle?

“In my mind’s eye I see, three circles joined in priceless harmony. Two, full as the moon; one, hollow as a crown. Two from the sea, five fathoms down. One from the Earth, deep under the ground...”

I can't share the image of her dropping it, but it definitely looked like the same ring to me

Maybe it is magical :)

That's a blast from the past. The ring did look familiar even though I was sure it hadn't be Chekhov'd at any point before that scene.

While I liked the fact that the fat was cut from Tyrion's storyline, the emotional impact of his storyline felt...oddly blunted. While Arya's off getting the shit beat out of her, Cersei's being frog-marched naked through the streets of KL, Jaime and Bronn flirt with death, Stannis is burning his daughter alive because he believes he has no choice, Sansa's getting raped and tortured, Jon's fighting for his life against White Walkers and getting stabbed by his own men, etc. etc., Tyrion's ride appears relatively smooth. He's also one of the only characters to end the season better off than when he began it, and one of the characters whose character arc didn't seem to culminate in some great humbling, like Arya (blinded), Sansa (raped, forced to flee from a psychopath), Jon (stabbed by his own men), Cersei (forced to do the Walk of Shame), Margaery (imprisoned), Melisandre (proven wrong), Stannis (broken, killed), etc.

Aside from Tyrion's physical safety, the season felt a lot more emotionally safe. His anger and bitterness towards others in ADWD is lacking. He's not making noises about raping and murdering Cersei. He's upset with himself and depressed, but even that feels relatively mild. He makes noises about drinking himself to death, but it sounds more like elaborate self-pity than anything genuinely suicidal. He's not muttering to himself about how disgusted the prostitutes must be by him, and he of course refrains from violently assaulting any of them or using them to wallow in self-loathing; instead, he's indulgent towards the prostitute he chats up and even sufficiently charming to get a free sex invite. Whereas Book Tyrion's speech to Jorah about how Dany might execute Jorah instead to Tyrion was steeped in malice, the same-ish speech in the show lacked the nasty edge to it. Show Tyrion doesn't really go through any sort of emotional journey. He has no Penny to bring out his kinder tendencies, but he doesn't really need one; even at his lowest earlier in the season he doesn't seem particularly nasty towards others, just morose and kind of a buzzkill. There's no sign of the venomous Tyrion we got a glimpse of at the trial.

Moreover, the other characters in the show are far more benevolent to Tyrion than anyone in the books. They already have a high opinion of him, and he seems to be his own worst critic. There's no one reviling him for a kinslayer, for one. Book Jorah is incredibly hostile towards Tyrion, but TV Jorah despite socking him in the mouth seems pretty accepting and doesn't seem to hold too much of a grudge when Tyrion gets him exiled again. Varys handwaves Tyrion's attempt to point out his flaws (murdering his father, etc. etc.) with a dismissive "I never said you were perfect," as if Tyrion's main problem is that he's too hard on himself. Daario reasons that Tyrion should be in charge and everyone instantly agrees with him. Two interviews and Dany brings him into her inner circle, no further questions asked. Even in Varys' last scene with Tyrion in Season 5, Varys waxes eloquent about how well-qualified Tyrion is to run Meereen.

I suppose it makes sense that TV Tyrion doesn't really get anything that looks like a redemption arc when he doesn't seem to need one, but it makes for a pretty bland character arc.

I dunno whether this is just standard whitewashing to make a central character more sympathetic, as with Cersei--although Cersei had plenty of nasty moments in Season 5 (unconcerned with random dwarfs getting murdered, gets Loras arrested and imprisoned to stick it to Margaery, etc.)--or whether there's some overarching reason D&D are anxious not to sully Tyrion's character in the show. We'll see, I guess.

Archived