Who is the Ellen Ripley / Sarah Connor / Furiosa of the 00's?

denstorebog

I cannot believe some people here don't know who Ellen Ripley is.

Especially on a forum like this :P.

I mean, I couldnt be more shocked if you told me you never heard about a superhero named Batman....

I know who she is but I've never seen Alien. No plans to either.

I know who she is but I've never seen Alien. No plans to either.

I fell asleep multiple times watching it.

Aliens on the other hand :bowdown:

I actually think V for Vendetta was a very good movie. Definitely not perfect, but there were some great scenes in it.

Indeeeed

Eh, different strokes I guess. I admittedly did not go into it with a terribly open mind, as it was a Wachowski thing, and I was pretty pissed that one of my two or three favorite graphic novel properties had been taken on by the hacks who foisted the Matrix sequels on us (Lord forgive me for mentioning them again).

I still don't think it has very much cultural staying power as a movie, though, and Natalie Portman did not exactly run away with it.

Most of its iconic elements might have been taken from the book, but I guarantee you the vast majority of people who use the mask as a symbol nowadays didn't do so before the film came out. So it obviously did quite a good job at insinuating itself into the popular culture.

I didn't see Alien until well after Aliens. 

Aliens was the first movie other than Star Wars that I had seen that made me just passionate about a movie. There were other good ones, but that was the first where I sat there, as a preteen, trying to figure out why it was so awesome. Was it the military jargon? The good characters? The great plot? How realistic things felt even if they weren't actually real? I can think of only a few movies that grabbed me like that since - the Matrix, Fury Road, Fight Club. 

Even now I'm thinking about how awesome that movie is. 

I didn't see Alien until well after Aliens. 

Aliens was the first movie other than Star Wars that I had seen that made me just passionate about a movie. There were other good ones, but that was the first where I sat there, as a preteen, trying to figure out why it was so awesome. Was it the military jargon? The good characters? The great plot? How realistic things felt even if they weren't actually real? I can think of only a few movies that grabbed me like that since - the Matrix, Fury Road, Fight Club. 

Even now I'm thinking about how awesome that movie is. 

The pacing of that flick was brilliant. Comparable to Fury Road, methinks. Maybe not quite so break-neck, but damn near perfect nonetheless.

I'm OK with that. I don't like horror movies.

I don't like horror but I think Alien is absolutely phenomenal. It's not particularly scary these days, just tense.

It's way better than the unsubtlety of Aliens. That's not a bad film, but it doesn't live up to the first.

Which is the inverse of what happened with Terminator.

I don't like horror but I think Alien is absolutely phenomenal. It's not particularly scary these days, just tense.

I don't know, that chestburster scene at the breakfast table is as horrific a scene as has ever been filmed. I think the genius of that flick was the environment and the tone. Just a fantasticly subtle Horror setting. 

It's way better than the unsubtlety of Aliens. That's not a bad film, but it doesn't live up to the first.

Which is the inverse of what happened with Terminator.

Couldn't disagree more. Aliens is always at the top of the list when talking about sequels that were better than the original for me.

Couldn't disagree more. Aliens is always at the top of the list when talking about sequels that were better than the original for me.

They are so different in tone that I don't think they should really be compared. The first is a great Horror flick, the second is a great Action flick. Most likely you're going to side with the genre that you prefer.

They are so different in tone that I don't think they should really be compared. The first is a great Horror flick, the second is a great Action flick. Most likely you're going to side with the genre that you prefer.

I prefer action to horror - I just don't think Aliens is a brilliant action film.

I don't know, that chestburster scene at the breakfast table is as horrific a scene as has ever been filmed. I think the genius of that flick was the environment and the tone. Just a fantasticly subtle Horror setting. 

And the face-sucker has really grabbed hold of popular imagination

Eh, different strokes I guess. I admittedly did not go into it with a terribly open mind, as it was a Wachowski thing, and I was pretty pissed that one of my two or three favorite graphic novel properties had been taken on by the hacks who foisted the Matrix sequels on us (Lord forgive me for mentioning them again).

I still don't think it has very much cultural staying power as a movie, though, and Natalie Portman did not exactly run away with it.

Hey, I don't like the Wachowski's either. I'm actually quite shocked that they wrote the script for V for Vendetta. At least they made something really good :p

As to the staying power, I think it has a lot really. It has one of the best speeches in movie history and the mask has really ingrained itself into pop culture because of the film imo. Plus, the anti-authoritarian message of the film couldn't have come at a better time really. I'm pretty sure that most people who wear those masks today haven't got a clue about the graphic novel. On top of that, I also feel confident saying that amongst the minority who does know about the graphic novel, the vast majority got their hands on it after seeing the movie. I know that happened to me. I really liked the movie, so I decided to purchase a copy of the graphic novel :)

I fell asleep multiple times watching it.

Aliens on the other hand :bowdown:

While I managed to stay awake throughout Alien, I agree with the general sentiment. Alien hasn't aged that well imo. As a horror film it just isn't very scary anymore. At least I never felt scared watching it. It has some great scenes though. Aliens on the other hand is still an insanely good action movie.

:agree:

Most of its iconic elements might have been taken from the book, but I guarantee you the vast majority of people who use the mask as a symbol nowadays didn't do so before the film came out. So it obviously did quite a good job at insinuating itself into the popular culture.

:agree:

Agreed. I honestly had no idea it was a graphic novel maybe if I had read that first I wouldn't have liked the movie

We should invent cloning technology just to enable us to answer questions like this :D Like, everyone on this board should have a clone and that clone should be forced to watch GoT without having read the novels. As an added twist we give the clones a flintlock pistol with one bullet in it. Let's see how long they last :)

I prefer action to horror - I just don't think Aliens is a brilliant action film.

Hmm. I prefer Alien, but I think that has to do with my preference for Horror over Action overall. I'd have to imagine that Aliens would appear on most folks Top Ten lists for Action flicks. I'd put it up there with the best.

And the face-sucker has really grabbed hold of popular imagination

Heh! That is pretty fucked up. Creative as all hell, but fucked up.

/Yeah, the whole idea of this aggressive egg carrying impregnator was genius from a Horror angle. The whole biology around Alien was extremely well done.

Archived