Dating: Not just for mating

I'm a dress for comfort unless I'm at work or going to something/somewhere formal kinda guy. I realize some people will look down on me for happening to like jeans, sneakers and band shirts thank you very much and that's fine, they're not the type of people I'd likely get along with anyway.

When it comes time to dress up I do at least attempt to follow the "rules" though, arbitrary as they might seem to me.

Red tie, black shirt: this is the uniform of college students attending formals or semiformals who have not yet realized that they do not know how to dress well.

At least I knew this one. :P

To be honest I haven't seen anyone wear that since my high school graduation ball and that was one of the "goth" kids.

Being well dressed is one of the best things a guy can do to catch a lady's eye.

This is absolutely true. You don't have to be on the cutting edge of fashion or anything, but wearing clothes which are clean (oh god, teenage boys, so gross), which fit well and which suit you makes you instantly more attractive. Men like women to put a certain amount of effort into their presentation, so it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that women also like men to put a bit of work in.

This is absolutely true. You don't have to be on the cutting edge of fashion or anything, but wearing clothes which are clean (oh god, teenage boys, so gross), which fit well and which suit you makes you instantly more attractive. Men like women to put a certain amount of effort into their presentation, so it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that women also like men to put a bit of work in.

Amen. And like you said, it doesn't take too much. Ironing and learning how to coordinate colors have made a big difference for me. And it's good, because I can't afford to buy all of the nice things that some of my dating partners of the past would wear. I think people can appreciate when you've put some effort into making a shirt and pants that don't come together still work out.

People that can wear bowties with impunity:

Republicans
Creepy professors
Nation of Islam
Waiters
Anyone wearing an evening suit ("tuxedo")
Lesbians pulling off the tweed thing
Urkel

Timelords?

I don't even own an iron. I'm so doing it wrong.

It's worth it to get one. Doesn't take much time to iron your shirts before you hang them up. I do it while I'm watching Netflix. But you can also get most of the wrinkles out of a shirt if you just pop it in the dryer on high heat for a few minutes before you put it on. 

As a nice bonus putting on clothes while they're still hot from the dryer feels awesome. 

I agree with the general sentiment about being well dressed. 

That said, we also need to accept that it is not for everyone. Not every woman is attracted to that, and not every man prioritizes that. I maintain that there's a group of people who will like you for who you are, no matter what it is. There's no need to change yourself to get others to like you, unless the type of people you want to attract are typically attracted to not-you. Then yeah, either change or accept that you're just not going to find much. 

Yeah, I just said I hated bowties, I don't really give a crap about ironed shirts and whatnot. HWD is a very sharp dresser, but I think in 40 years this is the first and only time I've ever fancied a guy that wears suits. It's all about knowing your audience.

I've made my share of mistakes, bad choices, and missed opportunities in this life - but I can always find a sense of pride and self-worth knowing that at the very least I helped my boyfriend realize the error of his belt-less and white-socks-wearing days. 

That being said, I agree with Terra that there's always going to be people that will accept you as you are, so don't feel the need to change for anyone if you dig your style - whatever that style may be. But if you find yourself longing to have more fashion sense - or even confidence in general, and especially with dating - small details and a little more effort into your appearance and wardrobe can help. Don't know where to turn? Ask a friend who looks "put together" or if you don't have one of those, there's tons of blogs and sites for the everyday male fashion. 

Larry's setting up a new internet etsy business selling my sweaty, musky, bowties to the women.of this world (well not just women, but anyone with a major credit card). For an additional charge I will sexily wear and heavily perspire onto any garment you send me and then mail it back. You're quite welcome!

lmao i never iron my clothes im awful. These days i live in t shirts and black leggings tho that is basically all i wear pfffft they dont need to be ironed...do they? :leaving:

Theda, I will get you a nicely ironed (albeit very sweaty and stinky) t-shirt of your choice or even a gorgeously ironed pith helmet (its a thing) for a very competitive price.

I tried not to say it but found that, like a sneeze, holding it in was difficult and probably unhealthy. Leggings are not trousers!

There are two acceptable usages of leggings: 1) your dress is shorter than you feel comfortable with going bare-legged, but you don't want to put on stockings, and 2) you have one of those awkward length, is-this-a-shirt-or-a-dress type garments which looks weird with normal trousers. When these rules have been violated, leggings have been committing crimes against women's bodies for decades :commie:  On anything less than supermodel legs, leggings worn as trousers are very unflattering.

Archived