Dating: Not just for mating

It's starting to strain the relationship and she's getting more upset by the day that I don't want more kids. What should I do? Stay with her and try convince her or just leave? The stress of all this is making me slip up in my work, and has me considering to just pack up and move abroad to visit my other young lads.

This may be a dumb question for being unrealistically complicated, but is it a matter for you if she has kids with someone else, but you stayed together?  Or would she expect you to raise them too?  Is raising them the issue?

Option 1:  She becomes a surrogate for a gay couple and has visitation rights while you spend time with your kids.

Option 2:  She gets artificially inseminated from a sperm bank or a friend and you raise the kid(s) together, but if you two ever split up she has sole custody.

Option 3.  You split up.

Had a conversation with her, read over your posts and thank you all for your advice It's been great. She's open to doing Option 2 she says, and she's still holding out I want another kid in a few months or years. For now though we'll just keep pushing on because neither of us can support a young kid at this point. 

Oh Angalin, I changed the names just to make it easier to write.

Well I've been set up on a date next week with my teacher friend's coworker. All of us should know better than to do this after the second day of school. She told me to wear nice shoes. To a date for trivia at a food truck park. Sigh.

Well I've been set up on a date next week with my teacher friend's coworker. All of us should know better than to do this after the second day of school. She told me to wear nice shoes. To a date for trivia at a food truck park. Sigh.

"Nice shoes"?? Does he have a shoe fetish?
That kind of thing is good to know ahead of time.

:firm nod:

"Nice shoes"?? Does he have a shoe fetish?
That kind of thing is good to know ahead of time.

:firm nod:

No, I think it was in response to my meddling friend quizzing me:

Her: What are you doing to wear to the date? I know what he's wearing. A bowtie and blue shoes.

Me: Um, whatever I wear to work that day, dressed up a little?

Her: No teacher shoes.

Me: I was going to wear my nice ones!

Her: Nothing that could possibly look like Keens because I know you have them!

Me: I know how to dress.

Her: What are you going to talk about?

Me: I DON'T EVEN KNOW THIS GUY YOU TALK TO HIM EVERY DAY.

Keeping in mind that my friend is a lesbian whose shoe closet consists mostly of running shoes, I don't know how this date could possibly go wrong. ;)

But hey, you know so much about him already, like the fact that he's the kind of guy who chooses his date outfits significantly in advance, goes with a bowtie on the first date and talks about his wardrobe plans with his friends. That seems pretty unusual, I think. I guess you'll have to tell us whether it's good-unusual or bad-unusual :p

Pretty sure my meddling friend grilled him the same way. She's been trying to set us up for a while. I just didn't realize that she would do it her first day back at work after the summer. :P But this should be fun in the same way that most of my dates set up by friends are. They almost always start the same way.

Friend: I have this friend. He is nerdy. You would like him.

Me: Does he have social skills?

Friend: Kind of

Me: OK

And then I try to suss out whether their social skills are about the same level as mine as we go compare nerd creds or whatever. Trivia night sounds perfect. :P

Is a bow tie that bad? It doesn't suit me - but I think it can look good on some people. 

My date over the weekend was okay - this is the person who was late last week - she's great and wants to see me again but I'm not sure; That's two dates now and I don't feel anything at all, she's great to hang out with but I dunno. I suppose I could give it another shot next week, but I don't think my heart will be in it. Yeah, I think I'll tell her as much. 

I don't have that many sartorial dealbreakers but I think a bowtie may be one of them :ack:

What if it's bowtie Tuesday?

Date night tonight for me.  I think this makes date #5 with band girl, so I'm just going to wing it and see where it goes.

I was at a Trivia Night Tuesday night. It was fun. It was at a sports bar, though, not a food truck park. If nothing else, the food will be better at your date. It would have to be better than the obligatory rubbery calamari, gigantic pile of nachos, or semi-okay wings (not much you can do to ruin wings. Well, maybe if you undercook them and give everyone food poisoning.)

You can at least learn something about a person at a trivia night date - whether they're super-competitive or secret cheaters or ignorant as a rock.

Maybe it's an American thing, to not think that bow ties are the worst things ever. But yes, they are that bad. If I turned up on a date and the chap was wearing a bowtie, I'd be very hard pressed not to just immediately turn round and walk out, no matter how great his other qualities. Not even white socks would do that!

I am not really about the bowties either, but who the hell knows with math teachers. It's probably a thing. I know others who do Bowtie Tuesday. I will try to wear my best non-Ms. Frizzle outfit, so no projectile motion t-shirt or atom earrings or Einstein socks or galaxy tights on the first date. I do actually own all those things. Being a science teacher makes you have really questionable fashion choices because you are basically expected to be a weirdo, although usually my students tell me I'm one of the best dressed because I pull them out only for the special-est of academic occasions.  :uhoh: Maybe I'm just desperate to have a date with someone who is not a libertarian tech douchebag, because they are the main dating fodder provided to me by OK Cupid.

Now I'm not a fashion conscious man by any stretch of the imagination, but I can usually understand why certain things are no-go's. The one thing I've never gotten is the white socks are bad and you must never wear them thing.

Maybe it's an American thing, to not think that bow ties are the worst things ever. But yes, they are that bad. If I turned up on a date and the chap was wearing a bowtie, I'd be very hard pressed not to just immediately turn round and walk out, no matter how great his other qualities. Not even white socks would do that!

Unless attached to a proper tuxedo bow ties have this certain 'please punch me in the face and keep punching until all strength leaves your arm' look to them.

Archived