Dating: Not just for mating

Can't be worse than my cube-mate who clips his nails onto a shared desk.  <shudders>

That's so disgusting. I can't even listen to someone I know and love clip their nails - it makes me retch. I think it harks back to an ex-bf who would clip his toenails and then put them in the ashtray that we were using. Blech. 

As far as teeth, I'm definitely in the camp of wanting as straight and white teeth as possible in a mate - but again, not a dealbreaker (within reason) and I'm pretty sure this is a direct result of my own decades-long battle with braces, jaw surgery, and finally an end-result that I am happy with.

That being said, I'd much rather a guy smile big regardless of his teeth than talk with a strange affectation, mumble, or refuse to smile as a result of insecurity over their condition. No matter how crooked my teeth were, I smiled as wide as possible and didn't let it affect my confidence. 

I think flossing is more about keeping your gums healthy.  I've noticed that if I don't do it for a while, my gums bleed easily the next time I floss.  If I keep it up regularly, they sort of toughen up and no bleeding. 

You can get by for a long time with bad dental habits, but once you get past a certain age, you better take damn good care of yourself or pay the price in gum disease.

:eek:

Thanks for the condescending post that ignores why I can't use regular floss :thumbsup:

Have you considered the possibility that some things aren't about you? I have a hard time remembering, and this may be helpful.

Seriously? Ha. I guess all British people have bad teeth, so we can't complain. No flossing, no flossing! :commie:

please be advised that it has never been the policy of any communist organization to agitate against flossing. classical marxism is silent on mandatory dental flossing, leaving it to the conscience of the individual flosser--though one might reasonably consider marxism itself to be mental flossing.

Have you considered the possibility that some things aren't about you? I have a hard time remembering, and this may be helpful.

Have you considered that maybe making condescending blanket statements might not be offensive just to one single person? You don't know other peoples circumstances, so don't be judgmental.  I'm one person in the thread that has posted a specific issue, it doesn't mean I'm the only person.  That post was only the worst, I thought the pot shots at British dental health (which as it turns out is incorrect anyway) wasn't great either, and guess what? I'm not a Brit so that wasn't about me!

A woman ranted on me because I told her that, while I am single, I also respect a lady friends desire to be exclusive and not sleep with every woman I find attractive. She says I'm being selfish by denying her if I don't have to and that "whoever the girl is obviously has you wrapped around her thumb."

Yes. Because I (of all people people, am totally not capable of respecting the feelings of someone I like. Whatever.

A woman ranted on me because I told her that, while I am single, I'm also respect a lady friends desire to be exclusive and not sleep with every woman I find attractive. She says I'm being selfish by denying her if I don't have to and that "whoever the girl is obviously has you wrapped around her thumb."

Yes. Because I (of all people people, am totally not capable of respecting the feelings of someone I like. Whatever.

Obviously what that lady did is not at all okay, but can I ask why you consider yourself single when you're in (some kind of) an exclusive relationship?

Obviously what that lady did is not at all okay, but can I ask why you consider yourself single when you're in (some kind of) an exclusive relationship?

That's a fair question. We both consider ourselves single. What we both believe is that titles add unnecessary complications to otherwise great relationships, and that adults ought not be punished by other adults because they hooked up with someone else in the spur of the moment. We've told each other that we're free to do as we please as long as we can be can honest about doing it and feel okay about doing it. So why we've agreed to only see each other because that's what we want, neither of us wants to use a title to bind the other to that.

Of course, we've also agreed that if feelings on this change, we ought to speak up, because neither side is a mind reader.

Shouldn't you just call that some kind of open relationship, really? Or am I misunderstanding something? (I guess I am.) :)

And just ignore what other people are thinking. Do whatever floats your boats (or is it a catamaran?). Just think of these labels as helpful for others what to expect from you.

Thanks for the condescending post that ignores why I can't use regular floss :thumbsup:

The most common reason people don't floss is because it takes too much time. Hence flossing while you watch TV is a hack that gets around the time issue. If your issue isn't that it takes too much time then the advice wasn't for you. I just saw people talking about flossing so I piped up. 

Jokes are meant to be funny are they not?

eh, no. Sometimes they are used to cut tension or to hurt someone's feelings. Sometimes to make someone think about something in a different way, or to convey an idea. Other times you are just saying "I don't take things to seriously". Also, funny is subjective, so there's that. 

Archived