There is a velociraptor in Braavos

slant

Not alligators or crocodiles.  That's what I thought they were too, large carnivorous reptiles living in swamps, seems obvious when all the other animals except dragons are real creatures.  Then I saw an excerpt from an earlier SF story by GRRM that featured lizard-lions and their description was very un-crocodilian.

But this isn't that earlier story, and Martin's described them for this story as "crocodilian, like a gator."  

From the thread I previously linked, where Martin's on record in how he envisions what a lizard lion is, and his reaction to seeing the artist's interpretation of the Reed sigil.

Can anyone find the lizard lion creature of the other Martin's book, the one which is clearly fantastical (or rather alien, as it is from a SF)

They are in the sci-fi series Tuf Voyaging: "The House of Varcour, for example, sprawls in the hot, swampy south, and they are fond of sending huge lizard-lions to the gaming pits" and "Tuf lifted his rented binoculars to his eyes, and saw the lizard-lion scrabble forward - two meters of scaled green reptile with a whiplike tail thrice its own length and the long snout of an Old Earth alligator. Its jaws opened and closed soundlessly, displaying an array of impressive teeth."

They are in the sci-fi series Tuf Voyaging: "The House of Varcour, for example, sprawls in the hot, swampy south, and they are fond of sending huge lizard-lions to the gaming pits" and "Tuf lifted his rented binoculars to his eyes, and saw the lizard-lion scrabble forward - two meters of scaled green reptile with a whiplike tail thrice its own length and the long snout of an Old Earth alligator. Its jaws opened and closed soundlessly, displaying an array of impressive teeth."

That sounds a lot like the big-ass crocagator from the movie Lake Placid.  The one Betty White's character feeds.

I totally accept that the lizard in question is meant to be a velociraptor. After all, the tiger carrying its cubs in a pouch is also an extinct species, a reference I believe to the Tasmanian tiger. Not extinct as long as the terrible lizard but certainly an animal with a fantastical mythology attached to it. 'Sightings' still happen regularly.

http://36.media.tumblr.com/6fe170e6344f72f977884f74faa83170/tumblr_inline_nrw4qki1QB1qgq6wn_540.jpg

Ok, ser. Now try to imagine yourself in the dawn age. You get your first look at this "six foot raven" as you enter a clearing. He moves like a bird, lightly, bobbing his head. And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like Tyroshisaurus Rex; he'll lose you if you don't move.

But no, not Braavosiraptor. You stare at him... and he just stares right back. And that's when the attack comes. Not from the front, but from the side. From the other two Braavosiraptors.. you didn't even know were there. Because Braavosiraptor's a pack hunter, you see, he uses coordinated attack patterns and he is out in force today.

And he slashes at you with this: a six-inch retractable claw, like valyrian steel, on the middle toe. He doesn't bother to bite your jugular like a lion or a direwolf, oh no... he slashes at you here, or here... or maybe across the belly, spilling your intestines. The point is, you are alive when they start to eat you. So try and show a little respect.

...which is good, because crocodiles (and alligators) are apex predator that lived through the K-T extinction. Physically unchanged for a hundred million years, because it's the perfect killing machine. A half ton of cold-blooded fury, the bite force of 20,000 Newtons, and stomach acid so strong it can dissolve bones and hoofs. What's next? One of the characters having a brain aneurysm? 

They are terrifying because they can happen anywhere.

Ok, ser. Now try to imagine yourself in the dawn age. You get your first look at this "six foot raven" as you enter a clearing. He moves like a bird, lightly, bobbing his head. And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like Tyroshisaurus Rex; he'll lose you if you don't move.

But no, not Braavosiraptor. You stare at him... and he just stares right back. And that's when the attack comes. Not from the front, but from the side. From the other two Braavosiraptors.. you didn't even know were there. Because Braavosiraptor's a pack hunter, you see, he uses coordinated attack patterns and he is out in force today.

And he slashes at you with this: a six-inch retractable claw, like valyrian steel, on the middle toe. He doesn't bother to bite your jugular like a lion or a direwolf, oh no... he slashes at you here, or here... or maybe across the belly, spilling your intestines. The point is, you are alive when they start to eat you. So try and show a little respect.

Well done.  :thumbsup:

Dr. Alan Grant: Hammond, after some consideration, I've decided, not to endorse your park. 

I think the real question at this point is: Did Dany ride this velociraptor? She does eventual ride a dragon, and it certainly goes much better for her than it did for Quentin. And dragons are almost dinosaurs. Perhaps she gained experience playing polo in the Sealord's gardens: Herself upon the velociraptor, and Viserys upon the zebra.

Any encouragement whatsoever and I will photoshop it.

I think the real question at this point is: Did Dany ride this velociraptor? She does eventual ride a dragon, and it certainly goes much better for her than it did for Quentin. And dragons are almost dinosaurs. Perhaps she gained experience playing polo in the Sealord's gardens: Herself upon the velociraptor, and Viserys upon the zebra.

Any encouragement whatsoever and I will photoshop it.

So, that would make her dragon dreams not dreams but memories. Excellent.

And consider yourself encouraged. 

Archived