X-Men: Apocalypse Redux Daze of Future X-Titles

Myrddin

I'm excited for this. I enjoyed the hell out of DoFP and First Class. If this movie is any better than the Last Stand, then this new trilogy will be better than the first.

I don't care for Jennifer Lawrence at all in these films. She's not convincing as Mystique, and I think they give her way too much screen time, probably based on nothing more than her star status.

Don't really care about Mystique's resume, as this is obviously a case of the role servicing the actor as opposed to the other way around. Fox had no idea they were getting someone on the road to getting her own nickname -- JLaw. Now that JLaw is JLaw, Mystique has suddenly become the most influential mutant since Professor X and Magneto. It's smart on the studio's part, but the beefed up role Mystique has received is somewhat cringe-worthy for me. Because, like...Mystique and stuff.

Add to that the fact that "mutant and proud" Mystique is never blue in the trailer. Weird choice for the character. Understandable choice by the studio, as JLaw apparently hates the makeup. So, yeah, role servicing the actor as opposed to the other way around.

She's been portrayed as a leader in the comics long before "JLaw" ever played her, so I hardly think it's as obvious as you make it out to be. The First Class films made her a more pivotal character right off the jump by making her Charlie's foster sister. 

The second bit seems to me to be a more reasonable complaint. If she doesn't care for the makeup, I can understand how her cache at this point might allow her to affect that change. That being said, the character is a shape-changer and a doppleganger, so there are going to be many instances when she is not blue.

I'm really surprised people 'round here like this trailer. I thought it was ok until the last third, when it entered cheese factory central with the shots of the four horsemen and Apocy chewing up the scenery. Then it looked seriously cheap and horrible, particularly that shot of Archangel. *shrugs* 

She's been portrayed as a leader in the comics long before "JLaw" ever played her, so I hardly think it's as obvious as you make it out to be. The First Class films made her a more pivotal character right off the jump by making her Charlie's foster sister. 

The second bit seems to me to be a more reasonable complaint. If she doesn't care for the makeup, I can understand how her cache at this point might allow her to affect that change. That being said, the character is a shape-changer and a doppleganger, so there are going to be many instances when she is not blue.

I'm with Bastard on this and I don't really blame Fox for the obvious marketing reasons. It may even be they want people to see Jlaw (hate the name but it's quicket to write) and that it isn't her saying "I don't like the make-up". If it was the latter it wouldn't speak well of her attitude toward her craft. I think it's the former because if she was being a real pain to work with then recasting a shape-shifter isn't that hard to pull off.

A shape-changer who throughout the series (although it wasn't mentioned in DOFP) has been all for "being a mutant" means her talking to mutants in combat situations and in general as a human comletely flies in her characterisation. She walks around naked in the first three films because that's who she is. So unless all the scenes in the trailer are ones where she's disguised because the secret service are around (and she's a wanted terrorist) or she's got trouble with her powers, it's a bit silly for her to be anything other than her blue form.

It could be the trailer but the scenes she appears in still raise the question of "why not blue"?

I'm really surprised people 'round here like this trailer. I thought it was ok until the last third, when it entered cheese factory central with the shots of the four horsemen and Apocy chewing up the scenery. Then it looked seriously cheap and horrible, particularly that shot of Archangel. *shrugs* 

The X-films are usually better than the trailers suggest. Everyone thought Quicksilver was a steaming pile of turd until the film came out. I know I give certain elements the benefit of the doubt - especially when things like SFX look off (because there's still time for that to change)

I did like the trailer, and clearly this should be the supreme capstone of the saga.

A lot depends on how Apocalypse will be portrayed, and from the posters to this trailer I think they've gone with a cool look for him.

Like Red Snow I am also pleased that he is able to shape shift in size, in addition to whatever other powers he will have.

The line about building a better world reminded me, perhaps oddly, about the priest of darkness from the Carnivale series, Brother Justin.

That size-shifting might just be a dream/psychic plane thing (Xavier is walking.)

Singer went through the Trailer with Empire: http://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/x-men-apocalypse-trailer-breakdown/ And one of the things he said with regards to size:

One of Apocalypse’s key attributes in the comic was the ability to change size, something that is seen very clearly here (and which can be easily explained if – if – this is a battle of minds) as he swells up and pins Xavier to the ground with one mighty paw. “It’s part of the mythology of Apocalypse’s size, but I couldn’t go full Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man where he’s just Giant Apocalypse, swatting at things,” laughs Singer. “I did something a little interesting in how I addressed the size thing, but I think the audience will get a kick out of it.”

I don't really know what to make of that. What does 'interesting' here mean?

She's not someone else, though, she's human!Mystique. Very often. Which is interesting since the whole point of her meeting with Magneto in First Class was that, y'know, it just easier to be who she is.

But hey, there might be some rational explanation.

I'm with Bastard on this and I don't really blame Fox for the obvious marketing reasons. It may even be they want people to see Jlaw (hate the name but it's quicket to write) and that it isn't her saying "I don't like the make-up". If it was the latter it wouldn't speak well of her attitude toward her craft. I think it's the former because if she was being a real pain to work with then recasting a shape-shifter isn't that hard to pull off.

A shape-changer who throughout the series (although it wasn't mentioned in DOFP) has been all for "being a mutant" means her talking to mutants in combat situations and in general as a human comletely flies in her characterisation. She walks around naked in the first three films because that's who she is. So unless all the scenes in the trailer are ones where she's disguised because the secret service are around (and she's a wanted terrorist) or she's got trouble with her powers, it's a bit silly for her to be anything other than her blue form.

It could be the trailer but the scenes she appears in still raise the question of "why not blue"?

The X-films are usually better than the trailers suggest. Everyone thought Quicksilver was a steaming pile of turd until the film came out. I know I give certain elements the benefit of the doubt - especially when things like SFX look off (because there's still time for that to change)

Just from what I pieced together over all the discussions this comes up, it's a matter of a perfect storm of issues. It's massively time-consuming (I think they switched to a suit after a while),annoying and causes rashes and health issues* and hides one of the bigger stars of the series. 

I doubt Lawrence outright vetoed it, but her feelings have been quite clear and they might have thought it would just make things easier. This is apparently her last movie, keep her in a good mood and milk her.

*Apparently this was a problem for Romijin as well. With JLaw getting a more prominent role, it probably made sense healthwise to cut down on it.

Still love the trailer, that 'score' is that still what we call it post-skrillex? is just great.

So, spoiler that's my guess based on what someone said above in combination with my dissection of the trailer: You've been warned.

So Mystique's been a leader for a long time, as someone mentioned she was the leader of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants (the name was ironic!) for some time after Magneto's defeats. I think that Havok dies in the first half of this film and Raven's recruited to lead the field team because the rest of them are untested wusses. That'll be the basic plot. Apocalypse appears, Magneto sides with him because their views in Movieland are pretty much identical, Havok dies, Mystique needs to be found and enlisted. They beat Apocalypse with a last-second Magneto change of heart along with his 4 horsemen allies.

Simple, easy to remember. Powerful if executed properly.

Oh, and Sophie Turner still appears to be just awful. Like, horrid at acting. There's only one reason she's given 2 lines as Jean Grey in an X-Men trailer, and it's because she can't fucking act.

Not here to get into show discussion, but Emilia Clarke has shown improvement over 5 years due to growth of talent or writing compensation, I don't think Sophie has even that much competency in her. If you can't read a line without ever sounding like you were just pulled from a German nuclear submarine sinking to the depths of the Atlantic in 1704, you just suck and need to go away after your career-existential show is over. 

That size-shifting might just be a dream/psychic plane thing (Xavier is walking.)

Singer went through the Trailer with Empire: http://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/x-men-apocalypse-trailer-breakdown/ And one of the things he said with regards to size:

I don't really know what to make of that. What does 'interesting' here mean?

Maybe have him bulk up to a bit larger than human size, instead of gigantic size which he clearly dislikes.

Something where he appears larger than he is when he employs his powers. Sort of like Gandalf in the LoTR/Hobbit where he " "grows" in the room when he's angered.

Driven to watching X-2 due to my loving of X-Men DoFP, and I can't dismiss how much Hugh Jackman looks like a little puppy.

I don't hate Jackman, I think he's an excellent Wolverine, but I'm happy as a peach to see he's not in the Apocalypse trailer. That being said, I love him in X-2 and I might even *gag* watch X-3.

Driven to watching X-2 due to my loving of X-Men DoFP, and I can't dismiss how much Hugh Jackman looks like a little puppy.

I don't hate Jackman, I think he's an excellent Wolverine, but I'm happy as a peach to see he's not in the Apocalypse trailer. That being said, I love him in X-2 and I might even *gag* watch X-3.

Please, dont do this to yourself. Magneto's strategy with the bridge may very well be the dumbest move in cinematic history.

WE ARE THE CURE!

As Singer has said many times this film is meant as a finishing point to the original three X films. It would make sense they focus on different storylines from here on out. It seems the obvious route to go (and it seems like where they're going) is Grey/Summers stuff (lets just let Wolverine rest for a bit.) Which I hope means we'll be getting Sinister and Cable, and the Phoenix Saga done properly. Cable seems especially likely if Deadpool is a success and if X-Force is still on the cards.

Just from what I pieced together over all the discussions this comes up, it's a matter of a perfect storm of issues. It's massively time-consuming (I think   they switched to a suit after a while),annoying and causes rashes and health issues* and hides one of the bigger stars of the series. 
    *Apparently this was a problem for Romijin as well. With JLaw getting a more prominent role, it probably made sense healthwise to cut down on it.

I think I remember reading Alan Cumming also had issues with the blue makeup and therefore didn't want to reprise his role as Nightcrawler.

I thought PeeWee Herman played nightcrawler...

Impossible, Paul Reubens isn't allowed in movie theatres.

I am excited for the return of Nightcrawler. He was the best part of that one X-Men film.

Rebecca Romijn was a better Mystique and Famke Janssen was a better Jean Grey. Yeah, yeah, age, I get it.  But when you have a glazed look in your eyes every time you say your lines, maybe you should stick to radio.

Archived