X-Men: Apocalypse Redux Daze of Future X-Titles

Myrddin

I am excited for the return of Nightcrawler. He was the best part of that one X-Men film.

Rebecca Romijn was a better Mystique and Famke Janssen was a better Jean Grey. Yeah, yeah, age, I get it.  But when you have a glazed look in your eyes every time you say your lines, maybe you should stick to radio.

He was a great character in X2. Was disappointed that he didn't come back.

Agree with Famke (although to be fair, we haven't seen Sophie's performance yet) but I can't agree on your Mystique critique. Romijn might be slightly more impressive from a strictly physical standpoint, but JLaw's Mystique has gotten way more facetime and character development. I'm not sure it's even fair to compare the two versions.

I think I remember reading Alan Cumming also had issues with the blue makeup and therefore didn't want to reprise his role as Nightcrawler.

Yeah, apparently it's just a real PITA and not an insignificant health issue. Apparently Romijin puked blue after a party. I'm not surprised that they'd try to cut down on it just in principle. 

Jennifer Lawrence's Mystique is definitely more fleshed out than Romijn's. I've just never been a big fan of Lawrence's and don't understand the praise she receives.

Apparently she was great in Winter's Bone. I'd say she plays her role in THG well enough. EDIT: Also saw Silver Lining's Playbook and it -and she- was good, certainly better than her first follow-up with DOR and, if reviews are any indication, the second. 

But here? She gets her job done but not really so well that I couldn't live without her . Compare to Fassbender for example. 

Jennifer Lawrence's Mystique is definitely more fleshed out than Romijn's. I've just never been a big fan of Lawrence's and don't understand the praise she receives.

There's definitely an amazing PR machine surrounding her. And it's easy filler for trashy entertainment "news".

But here? She gets her job done but not really so well that I couldn't live without her . Compare to Fassbender for example. 

Fassbender always brings something to the table - even in an otherwise bad film though. Prometheus as a mess but all of his scenes were great. He's a useful actor to add to any film.

I also think Macavoy has done a good job too - it's just Prof X isn't a really interesting character. Weirdly I got the creepy Onslaught vibe from the trailer hen he's sitting by Jean Grey's bed

For some reason they thought it was a good idea in the comics to reveal that Xavier had been in love with Jean since she joined the school (ew) and buried said emotions using his powers. I honestly don't know what the writers/editors are thinking when they ok such plots.

I also think Macavoy has done a good job too - it's just Prof X isn't a really interesting character. Weirdly I got the creepy Onslaught vibe from the trailer hen he's sitting by Jean Grey's bed

Hidden Content

Apparently the 'it was just a dream' line is different in the film, that is a trailer only line. Whether that changes the vibe is questionable.

And :lol: I missed that one. I'm pretty sure everyone in the comics has had a thing for Jean at some point.

Hidden Content

In response to spoiler point: That's long been a criticism of the old X-books. That having this older man (with mind control powers no less) criss-crossing the globe and taking in young children to train always has a creepy pedo, culty sort of vibe to it. Much like Batman and his series of young "wards". Garth Ennis did a pretty disturbing turn on this theme in his series "The Boys" wherein the ersatz Xavier was sexually abusing all of his young charges. 

Plenty of people have said that Wolverine should become a registered sex offender due to the amount of young girls he hangs out with (Shadowcat, Jubilee, Rogue, Armor, X-23). I personally think this one is different from Xavier's situation, but I definitely agree that Xavier is sorta creepy.

Also.

Plenty of people have said that Wolverine should become a registered sex offender due to the amount of young girls he hangs out with (Shadowcat, Jubilee, Rogue, Armor, X-23). I personally think this one is different from Xavier's situation, but I definitely agree that Xavier is sorta creepy.

Also.

Yeah, the first coomic convention I ever went to featured John Bryne and Dave Cockrum as guests. They did a panel together, and the "creepy pedo Xavier" thing came up as a question from one of the con goers. They both said that Wolverine to some extent was brought in as a sort of conscience for Charlie in that he was an adult, and he had no tolerance for anyone screwing around with his head and whatnot. Anyway, the pedo-Charlie comment got a laugh out of both of them.

Archived