Marvel Netflix - AKA the Second Thread

The BlackBear

16 hours ago, WarGalley said:

They've done a decent job of exploring their weaknesses with DD and JJ. They've hinted at it as well in both trailers. If you can't hurt Luke Cage, go after the humans he's close to. And try to drown him too. (Seriously though, does fire hurt him? I don't remember him being burned or part of an explosion in JJ).

Definitely wouldn't mind Method Man in a recurring role -- even if he does play himself. I miss Cheese.. 

13 hours ago, mormont said:

He was on fire when the bar blew up. It didn't bother him, as I recall.

I'm thinking constant exposure to extreme heat will eventually cause internal trauma, unless his skin has incredible insulating properties. And of course there would be smoke inhalation. But a short period of time exposed to fire shouldn't cause any problems.

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I'm thinking constant exposure to extreme heat will eventually cause internal trauma, unless his skin has incredible insulating properties. And of course there would be smoke inhalation. But a short period of time exposed to fire shouldn't cause any problems.

Most people who die in fire actually die of smoke inhalation. But most people can't just walk through the fire unburnt to find a way out, and would also have a harder time breaking down doors or walls if necessary, because they don't have superstrength. Luke would probably be able to get out of the fire before he inhaled much smoke.

2 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

Most people who die in fire actually die of smoke inhalation. But most people can't just walk through the fire unburnt to find a way out, and would also have a harder time breaking down doors or walls if necessary, because they don't have superstrength. Luke would probably be able to get out of the fire before he inhaled much smoke.

Well yeah, he's most likely to get out of a firey situation because of his skin's imperiousness and his strength. But the fact remains he is vulnerable to smoke inhalation, he is also liable to becoming disoriented in a dense smoke situation. Also sometimes it's a matter of distance not physical obstruction that's the problem. So it's still an option worth considering for villains out to kill him. You've just got to set things up right to do it.

10 hours ago, The Wolves said:

Isn't Cottonmouth suppose to have super strength also? 

8 hours ago, red snow said:

It depends on which version . From wikipedia

"The first Cottonmouth has super-strength that rivals Luke Cage. He also has sharp teeth that he had sharpened to resemble fangs. Cottonmouth also has a good knowledge of the different poisons.

Due to bionic reconstruction, the second Cottonmouth possesses enhanced jaw and neck muscles, and steel teeth enabling him to bite with sufficient force to crush cinderblock or deform metals softer than iron, hang from a rope by his teeth for up to an hour, and to open his mouth larger than the size of a human head. His teeth (including abnormally large canines) have been replaced by steel, and his jaw and neck have been bionically enhanced and specially hinged to enable his mouth to open larger than the size of a human head, and he has superhuman strength in his jaw."

from the previews it looks like they are dropping the teeth but they may well be keeping the strength. His knowledge of poisons may remain as others have pointed out - a weakness of Cage is trying to administer medical help to him. So if he is poisoned it could be an issue.

I'd sort of like to see a jaw-dropping moment for comic effect.

Marvelpedia says:

Powers

Cottonmouth's bionic jaw can dislocate far enough to fit a human head, and possesses sufficient strength to deform soft iron and crush cinderblock.

Strength level

Normal human male with intensive regular exercise.

So, all in all not a particularly physically scary villain for your typical Marvel hero. But I can imagine your average citizen would totally freak out. Definitely suits being confined to the TV-verse.

I was just thinking that I never heard of Cottonmouth, and that he'd probably get super powers at some point. Because how else would he be threat to Luke? I honestly was going to look him up, but stopped myself. since it was only three days away, why not wait for that answer. 

I'm just saying I think we should be more careful about the "no comic spoilers" thing. The "Misty Knight has a Stark designed robot arm" thing being another example. (Though I very much doubt Stark will be her benefactor in the series.)  I don't think I'm the only one whose first exposure to the characters is the Netflix shows.  I wouldn't have known that were it not for this thread. 

#BlackSpoilersMatter

5 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Marvelpedia says:

So, all in all not a particularly physically scary villain for your typical Marvel hero. But I can imagine your average citizen would totally freak out. Definitely suits being confined to the TV-verse.

Wrong character. That's the Cottonmouth who's in the Serpent Society, not Cornell Cottonmouth.

2 hours ago, RumHam said:

I was just thinking that I never heard of Cottonmouth, and that he'd probably get super powers at some point. Because how else would he be threat to Luke? I honestly was going to look him up, but stopped myself. since it was only three days away, why not wait for that answer. 

I'm just saying I think we should be more careful about the "no comic spoilers" thing. The "Misty Knight has a Stark designed robot arm" thing being another example. (Though I very much doubt Stark will be her benefactor in the series.)  I don't think I'm the only one whose first exposure to the characters is the Netflix shows.  I wouldn't have known that were it not for this thread. 

#BlackSpoilersMatter

You raise a good point RE spoilers. Given purple man wasn't purple I don't think there's too much to worry about here.

Things like Patsy Walker and Will Simpson could have been spoiled by comic folks and Misty Knight may fall into thst category.

If Stark gave her a robotic arm I think the show could do so easily as they don't even have to show Stark. They just say he (or his company "handed" it to her). I'd hope they'd spend more time on the character than worrying about the arm.

I don't know Cottonmouth, but there's a very good chance he is powerless. They seem to be keeping these shows fairly low key. With the glaring exceptions of Kilgrave (and perhaps the Hand ninjas), the villians have all been powerless. That does not mean they are not dangerous threats. Just look at Punisher and the Kingpin. They're both peak human in certain areas, but nothing super, magic, or advanced tech. And they are plenty threatening.

I could be wrong, but Cottonmouth looks like a politician and crime boss. We'll know soon.

21 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

I don't know Cottonmouth, but there's a very good chance he is powerless. They seem to be keeping these shows fairly low key. With the glaring exceptions of Kilgrave (and perhaps the Hand ninjas), the villians have all been powerless. That does not mean they are not dangerous threats. Just look at Punisher and the Kingpin. They're both peak human in certain areas, but nothing super, magic, or advanced tech. And they are plenty threatening.

I could be wrong, but Cottonmouth looks like a politician and crime boss. We'll know soon.

He might be a bit more like the Owl where they just take aspects of his character and tone him  down? I think the knowledge of poisons might stick. Although giving him some powers may help differentiate him from Fisk. How many criminal masterminds can we have before it gets old?

He might be a bit more like the Owl where they just take aspects of his character and tone him  down? I think the knowledge of poisons might stick. Although giving him some powers may help differentiate him from Fisk. How many criminal masterminds can we have before it gets old?

Yeah, he might very well use the poisons. Otherwise, why would they be using the Cottonmouth name at all?

I think if it gets old depends on the writing, acting, and execution. I was strongly convinced that the Kingpen appearing a second time would be boring, despite his strong first season appearance. I didn't see how they could convincingly do it and thought doing the crime lord again would be boring. But I was totally blown away with what they did with him in season 2. I'm fairly sure Cottonmouth will be very interesting. The teaser they gave of him shows he has his own distinctive style. He seems to be like a gentleman or fop type. And they got a great actor playing him. According to the trailer, it looks like he does protection rackets on businesses. 

I know very little about him and I'm purposely not going to wikapedia. I made the mistake of doing that with Shades and I started to learn too much, so I stopped looking. Fortunately I forgot a lot of what I learned, lol. Very dangerous to research this stuff if you aren't already familiar with it from comics.

I preferred Fisk in season 2 - they got rid of his man-childness once his toys were taken away and there's no questioning the actor's talent (he'll be the main reason I'll ever watch the new Magnificent Seven)

I keep getting an inkling about Cottonmouth's history from the comics but, like you I'm avoiding confirming it as I'd like to see it unfold in the show.

I'm pretty sure there's a character who was on the same program that gave him his powers - having it be Cottonmouth would make sense even if it's combining another character's history with him.

The other reason I'm trying not to read up on the comic history is because it's a bit of a mess and a lot of it was from a very different era. The nice thing about the show is that they have a clean slate and can tackle him in a more contemporary fashion.

Was there ever a firming up of release dates for the other shows? Iron Fist must be next as it's filming, there was confirmation on a J Jones second season. Can't remember if we're getting a season 3 of Daredevil anytime soon. And Punisher is confirmed.

The fact Ghost Rider is on TV really has me hoping for a run of Blade and Moon Knight coming up. I just hope AoS doesn't use them first!

What it looks like is Iron Fist and Defenders in 2017, much as it was DD and Luke Cage this year. Unless they decide to increase that 2 shows per year rule, we won't see DD season 3 and JJ season 2 until 2018. Iron Fist is set to go into production right before Luke Cage drops or right after.

No news at all on Punisher.

1 hour ago, mormont said:

It's Iron Fist next, then the Defenders, then JJ Season 2, I believe. After that, Punisher and DD Season 3, but that's so far out that there's no firm order of release.

I guess we might get JJ season 2 at the end of 2017 if lucky. Defenders is only 8 episodes so they may feel they can squeeze JJ in too. I guess the issue is that Defenders stars all of the leads so it may be considered a "season" for them in a contractual sense - Krysten Ritter may not be up to filming 20 episodes of TV in a year for instance. In that sense the Punisher would be a better option in terms of production (assuming Punisher isn't in Defenders). There's an unconfirmed rumour it will be out in November 2017 which would fit the potential slot after Defenders. It seems to be moving forward with the announcement of Ben Barnes as a villain too. Didn't realise the showrunner worked on "hannibal". That's promising.

I just realised that Luke Cage will be the second most featured netflix character (and the most interconnected beside Rosario Dawson) thanks to his role in JJ.

6 hours ago, red snow said:

The fact Ghost Rider is on TV really has me hoping for a run of Blade and Moon Knight coming up. I just hope AoS doesn't use them first!

Are you saying that Ghost Rider has been on Agents of SHIELD??

3 hours ago, red snow said:

I guess we might get JJ season 2 at the end of 2017 if lucky. Defenders is only 8 episodes so they may feel they can squeeze JJ in too.

As I was reading this thread I was prepared to type this exact same thing, but I could definitely see Punisher as an alternative too.

7 hours ago, red snow said:

I guess we might get JJ season 2 at the end of 2017 if lucky. Defenders is only 8 episodes so they may feel they can squeeze JJ in too. I guess the issue is that Defenders stars all of the leads so it may be considered a "season" for them in a contractual sense - Krysten Ritter may not be up to filming 20 episodes of TV in a year for instance. In that sense the Punisher would be a better option in terms of production (assuming Punisher isn't in Defenders). There's an unconfirmed rumour it will be out in November 2017 which would fit the potential slot after Defenders. It seems to be moving forward with the announcement of Ben Barnes as a villain too. Didn't realise the showrunner worked on "hannibal". That's promising.

I just realised that Luke Cage will be the second most featured netflix character (and the most interconnected beside Rosario Dawson) thanks to his role in JJ.

I still don't know why we need a Punisher series. 

I heard rumors that Marvel was thinking about doing a White Tiger series on Nexflix  cause the character Angela Del Toro has a history with Daredevil, Luke Cage and Ironfist. Someone also said that Jessica in season 1 name dropped her name she's also a private detective. 

9 hours ago, mormont said:

It's Iron Fist next, then the Defenders, then JJ Season 2, I believe. After that, Punisher and DD Season 3, but that's so far out that there's no firm order of release.

Personally, I think Netflix should be forced into a release schedule such that somewhat disciplined viewers (who watch only 2 episodes per week) will never go more than 2 weeks between seasons.

They have enough individual series that they don't need to push the key staff on any one series beyond a normal production cycle.

I feel like in Infinity War Luke Cage should really put in an appearance, his relative indestructibility and spider man level super strength really puts him in the A-list of heroes that can go up against cosmic threats. He's effectively Hulk-lite without the anger management issues right.  

The problem with including the Netflix characters in Infinity War is that it's already going to be so crowded. I wonder if Netflix would ever consider shooting a one-off tie in special. Like just an hour or two showing how they helped / dealt with the crisis. 

5 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Are you saying that Ghost Rider has been on Agents of SHIELD??

Not the classic Ghost Rider, but a Ghost Rider currently is. He's the Robbie Reyes version, so he's in a car, not on a bike. Early days but he's pretty good.

I want to see a hardcore batshit insane Moon Knight series, I know the trend is for interconnectivity, but I prefer him to be a real outcast no one's fully comfortable with.

Archived