US Politics - We're through the looking glass here people

Shryke

No, it's based on the vast majority of terrorism being carried out by those professing to be Muslim (whether they are "true" Muslims or not). That's the specific reason, not an arbitrary dislike of a particular religion. 

In the USA? Against US citizens?

(or worldwide, when we exclude things like seemingly random air attacks and drone attacks because apparently our Western armies aren't terrorists by definition?)

TP,

I'm a bit surprised.  I thought Dirjj was more of a rank and file Republian than a hair on fire crazyman.  Obviously, I misjudged.

I don't know the person you're talking about, but the distinction between "rank and file Republican" and "a hair on fire crazyman" seems to be rapidly losing meaning.

TP,

I'm a bit surprised.  I thought Dirjj was more of a rank and file Republian than a hair on fire crazyman.  Obviously, I misjudged.

He's no longer a rank and file Republican because they weren't extreme enough for him. He's always been that way. 

It always amazes me that the people who scream "2nd Amendment" the loudest when the idea comes up about limiting types of weapons or heaven forbid, requiring registration are the same ones that are willing to trample the rights of others guaranteed in the 1st amendment.  As long as it is not their religion that is the target.

For the government to ask a person’s religion before granting them permission to visit the US, or some of the more extreme things that have been bandied about, like registering or even camps, based solely on religion are very clearly violations of the 1st Amendment. 

Where are the conservative to defend the 1st amendment? Hiding in their basements with their guns?  (and yes, this fear mongering and blaming all Muslims just totally pisses me off)

ETA:  I was half joking this morning, (only because I don't believe it could really happen) that if people had to register their religion, I would register as Muslim and head a protest campain to get as many people as possible to do so as well.  What could they do if 50% of the country registered as Muslim?  (ok, this is cleaarly in the "alternet history" category, or at least I dealy hope it is)

I go back and forth on whether President Trump would be preferable to President Cruz.  Trump is a lot less predictable (which makes him dangerous), whereas Cruz is just the amalgamation of everything I loathe in the Republican party. 

Can you see any foreign government ever taking "President Trump" seriously?

Can you see any foreign government ever taking "President Trump" seriously?

I am afraid that foreign governments would have to take a "President Trump" MORE seriously than normal. Having such a person as the Commander in Chief of the United States armed forces and nuclear arsenal would be truly and seriously frightening. 

It always amazes me that the people who scream "2nd Amendment" the loudest when the idea comes up about limiting types of weapons or heaven forbid, requiring registration are the same ones that are willing to trample the rights of others guaranteed in the 1st amendment.  As long as it is not their religion that is the target.

Wouldn't the converse of this also be true? Or something....

"It always amazes me that the people who scream "1st Amendment" the loudest when the idea comes up about immigration, requiring registration are the same ones that are willing to trample the rights of others guaranteed in the 2nd amendment.  As long as it is not a right they care about  that is the target."

Where are the conservative to defend the 1st amendment? Hiding in their basements with their guns?  (and yes, this fear mongering and blaming all Muslims just totally pisses me off)

you recognize the inherent hypocrisy in this statement, right?

"It always amazes me that the people who scream "1st Amendment" the loudest when the idea comes up about immigration, requiring registration are the same ones that are willing to trample the rights of others guaranteed in the 2nd amendment.  As long as it is not a right they care about  that is the target."

It goes both ways, I agree, but what I have seen, is a lot worse on one side than the other.

A lot of people on the restrictions side wanting to change the laws (like what Kalbear outlined).  This is does NOT get rid of guns just changes the types available to people.  There is a huge difference between the two things, and if you can't see that, it is willful blindness.

FTR, I am a pro gun person, just not rabid and unreasonable about it

Only if you hold the Amendment itself to be what is important.  I think the rights enshrined by the 1st Amendment are more important than that of the 2nd, and my support of them comes not from their status as an "amendment" but their status as rights I think any government worthy of my support should endorse.  The right to own guns does not have the same importance to me. 

Not really hypocritical of me, I think.  

It goes both ways, I agree, but what I have seen, is a lot worse on one side than the other.

A lot of people on the restrictions side wanting to change the laws (like what Kalbear outlined).  This is does NOT get rid of guns just changes the types available to people.  There is a huge difference between the two things, and if you can't see that, it is willful blindness.

There are plenty of regulations around types of weapons you are allowed to own already on the books, just as there are around the regulation of free speech.  So what you are suggesting is already happening.

What reasonable people generally disagree on is what types of guns should or shouldn't be allowed, and whether or not those types of regulations are incremental or not.

Swordfish,

There are some who are consistent on both amendments.

Imagine if Trump qualifies for the nomination and the party decides to pull it away at the convention or even before it? That would be epic. Honestly Trump is even surprising me. Every week he comes up with a new way to own the news cycle. This latest proposal is a little cray-cray but its interesting as hell to watch the media respond to him.

Archived