US Politics - We're through the looking glass here people

Shryke

About as seriously as you'd treat a monkey with an AK-47.The comparison to Hitler was completely asinine, but to be fair the Nazi High Command was pretty much the loser's club. Hitler contributed little more than signing the papers and giving the speeches, Eichmann was a sniveling bureaucrat with 20 failed businesses to his name, Himmler was a bankrupt chicken farmer, etc. The Legion of Doom they were not. Really I consider the Holocaust to be the natural result of the longstanding mentality that came out of Social Darwinism and the Eugenics movement, going as far back as the earliest justifications for slavery and African colonialism; rather than some mater plan by a group of hyper-manipulative schemers. They were more facilitators than anything else.tumblr_n5hl82QbmA1r0su18o1_400.gif

The Holocaust was a result of deliberate application of cutting edge progressive led science research initiatives. They considered the needs of the many (avoiding race suicide) to outweigh the needs of the few (their victims).

Never underestimate the flexibility and power of science to justify and "validate" any belief man is capable of wanting to believe.

This is a disturbing convergence between Trump and Hillary:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/donald-trump-wants-to-close-up-the-internet/ar-AAg8uu5

Hours after

Donald Trump

suggested the U.S. ban Muslims from entering the United States, the leading Republican presidential candidate said America should also consider “closing the Internet up in some way” to fight

Islamic State

terrorists in cyberspace.[/quote]

Trump mocked anyone who would object that his plan might violate the freedom of speech, saying “these are foolish people, we have a lot of foolish people.”

“We have to go see Bill Gates,” Trump said, to better understand the Internet and then possibly “close it up.”

Trump characterized the problem of Internet extremism by saying, “We’re losing a lot of people because of the Internet.”

The Internet has taken center stage in both the 2016 presidential race and the Obama administration’s current fight against the Islamic State. Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton urged tech companies to “deny online space” to terrorists. Clinton then anticipated and waved away presumed First Amendment criticisms.

“We’re going to hear all the usual complaints,” she said on Monday, “you know, freedom of speech, et cetera. But if we truly are in a war against terrorism and we are truly looking for ways to shut off their funding, shut off the flow of foreign fighters, then we’ve got to shut off their means of communicating. It’s more complicated with some of what they do on encrypted apps, and I’m well aware of that, and that requires even more thinking about how to do it.”

China style internet restrictions coming in a few years regardless of who wins the Oval Office?

At least most of the comments are negative.

Can we all at least agree that the Dickey Amendment needs to be repealed so the CDC can actually study gun violence in AMerica in a meaningful way?

Serious question...  Why the CDC?  I'm not against studying this, but I don't get why the CDC is the right agency for it. I get that you can sort of spin it as a public heath concern, but that connection seems sort of dubious to me.  Isn't the CDC mostly made up of medical scientists?  Admittedly, i don't really know fuck all about the CDC, so there may be some kind of obvious reason that I'm just missing.

Serious question...  Why the CDC?  I'm not against studying this, but I don't get why the CDC is the right agency for it. I get that you can sort of spin it as a public heath concern, but that connection seems sort of dubious to me.  Isn't the CDC mostly made up of medical scientists?  Admittedly, i don't really know fuck all about the CDC, so there may be some kind of obvious reason that I'm just missing.

Isn't the Dickey Amendment about mental health study, and specifically banning it as it relates to guns? If I'm recalling that correctly, I would say it fits.

Well, why should the medical implications of wide spread gun ownership not be allowed to be scrutinized? You may think that it's unnecessary, but that shouldn't make that research illegal. And perhaps it even produces findings that are favorable to the gun lobby (unlikely, I think, but still possible).

Well, why should the medical implications of wide spread gun ownership not be allowed to be scrutinized? You may think that it's unnecessary, but that shouldn't make that research illegal. And perhaps it even produces findings that are favorable to the gun lobby (unlikely, I think, but still possible).

I don't know what you mean by 'medical implications of widespread gun ownership,'

Isn't the Dickey Amendment about mental health study, and specifically banning it as it relates to guns? If I'm recalling that correctly, I would say it fits.

I'm not sure.  I'll do some googling.

It just seems odd to have a flat out ban. Nothing may come from lifting it, but it should have never been put in place. And the guy who submitted the amendment wants it repealed.

The CDC covers public health broadly, not just medical illnesses. As such, all leading causes of death are within its purview. For instance the CDC receives funding for research on traffic safety, since car accidents are a sizable cause of death. Gun deaths are close to and perhaps even exceed traffic deaths, but the CDC cannot receive funding to research the problem.

The CDC covers public health broadly, not just medical illnesses. As such, all leading causes of death are within its purview. For instance the CDC receives funding for research on traffic safety, since car accidents are a sizable cause of death. Gun deaths are close to and perhaps even exceed traffic deaths, but the CDC cannot receive funding to research the problem.

Than yeah, it needs to happen.  Ideally, just eliminate any redundancy by making sure ATF/DoJ isn't already doing the (exact) same thing.

To be fair a Democrat mayor in one of the confederacy states proposed the same thing with the same fdr rationale a few weeks ago. He didn't get base traction, but democrats did it first, not trump.

That is something worth remembering. I'm usually glad that the democrats do not obsessively primary one another, but perhaps I was mistaken to be. I surely don't want this fellow as a representative of my party in any fashion. 

Preventing the study of firearms impact on public health is pretty silly.

Not if you're Smith & Wesson or other firearm companies that see your profits tripled after a few months of tragedies and the president saying, "hey, we should maybe do something about this."  Then you have a very serious incentive to make sure no one can produce a concrete study to show how harmful this county's obsession with fetishizing guns has become.  

Archived