Video Games: Doing Archaeology With A Shotgun

KiDisaster

22 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I'm interested in TWD Michonne. But I'm not entirely sure about where they've set it in the timeline. I'm not really all that interested in seeing into Michonne's psychosis during her disappearance from the show at the beginning of season 4(?).

I'd rather see her story in the Fear the Walking Dead sort of timeline. What got her from being a happy and fun mum when the ZA hit to being an emotionless Samurai when we first see her in Season 3?

The Telltale Walking Dead games are based on the comics, not the TV show, so they tie in to the characters during/before they show up in the comics. I think they changed some of Michonne's backstory for TV, so that in particular may factor into what happens in the game.

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

There is a crowdfunding campaign running this month for a 2D side scrolling Beat 'Em Up featuring Jay and Silent Bob...

I don't generally contribute to these kinds of things, but this combines two wonderful memories of my youth.  I may have to consider it. :lol:  

x6wtOuo5YuDv.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

OH SNAP! They better have a character named Don Juan de la Nooch.

57 minutes ago, Relic said:

Made a Reno Mage deck in HS. The game is suddenly tons of fun again. Highly recommended. Add me if you play, im Relic1326

Sent you a friend request. I'm KiDisaster on there as well. 

Currently going through the last adventure to unlock those cards. Might finally try to do the heroic versions of the older ones for the cardbacks as well. 

Jake Solomon does a bit interview on XCOM 2. He addresses the thorny question of why you can be British or Scottish, but not Welsh.
Also, completed XCOM 2 last night. I was a bit surprised that they left it on such a blatant cliffhanger for a possibly sequel, with scope for an expansion. Obviously it's good that they plan to continue the series, but I hope it is an actual sequel rather than retconning your hard-won success as failure again.

3 hours ago, Werthead said:

Jake Solomon does a bit interview on XCOM 2. He addresses the thorny question of why you can be British or Scottish, but not Welsh.
Also, completed XCOM 2 last night. I was a bit surprised that they left it on such a blatant cliffhanger for a possibly sequel, with scope for an expansion. Obviously it's good that they plan to continue the series, but I hope it is an actual sequel rather than retconning your hard-won success as failure again.

Well, the way I read it, they didn't retcon your success as failure:  What happened was they hit early and everything in XCOM1 was a simulation.  EXALT was added because the Resistance started forming so the aliens wanted to see how the Commander would react to a global scattered resistance movement if you gave the Commander MECs, etc.  

And I also finished XCOM2 last night.  I had a great damn time, and I'm excited to dive into the mods and Legendary.  I'll be doing that run with an honor ironman instead of actual just because I'm worried about instability with mods, but it should be a ton of fun.  Specifically looking for mods for increased dress-up options and something to add to difficulty in the endgame.  It still felt like I was victory-lapping for a while there, and Psi-Ops are absurdly overpowered.  Can't wait for the sequel or the expansions.  

3 hours ago, MerenthaClone said:

Well, the way I read it, they didn't retcon your success as failure:  What happened was they hit early and everything in XCOM1 was a simulation.  EXALT was added because the Resistance started forming so the aliens wanted to see how the Commander would react to a global scattered resistance movement if you gave the Commander MECs, etc. 

Wait, is this true? I only played the first tutorialish mission of XCOM2 so far, but I don't mind spoilers. I thought it was really dumb how the resistance felt it was so important to rescue the player/commander. Nobody else is capable of giving units orders and reloading an old save when something goes horribly wrong? 

Also I think I just have to accept the fact that I don't find XCOM's combat to be fun. It can be fun when it's not too easy or frustratingly hard, but most of the time I just find it tedious. (Though I'm speaking only of the last game here, I haven't played enough of the new one.) I love the base building / resource management aspects. Maybe if I was playing on ironman mode it'd be more interesting, but I hate the idea of getting 75% through a game and having to restart because I messed up. 

Wait, is this true? I only played the first tutorialish mission of XCOM2 so far, but I don't mind spoilers. I thought it was really dumb how the resistance felt it was so important to rescue the player/commander. Nobody else is capable of giving units orders and reloading an old save when something goes horribly wrong? 

Yep.

Spoiler

The way they play it is that they show how they've been using the Commander's mind to run tactical simulations over and over again and used that to refine their tactics. What you though you were doing in the first XCOM was simply running those simulations for the aliens again and again. It even explains how you could 'reload' in some ways. I thought it was surprisingly clever while establishing this system. It does, however, remove the cliffhanger from the first XCOM that is somewhat of a bummer.

21 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Yep.

Hide contents

The way they play it is that they show how they've been using the Commander's mind to run tactical simulations over and over again and used that to refine their tactics. What you though you were doing in the first XCOM was simply running those simulations for the aliens again and again. It even explains how you could 'reload' in some ways. I thought it was surprisingly clever while establishing this system. It does, however, remove the cliffhanger from the first XCOM that is somewhat of a bummer.

Huh, that's interesting and explains the "rescue the commander" opening. I'm still a little confused (why did the second in command guy feel so compelled to rescue the commander then, if he'd never actually led people against the aliens?), but I guess I should just suck it up and finish the game!

...Also can you not reload in this game? Otherwise I don't get how the first game being a simulation explains that ability. Unless this is also still a simulation?

47 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Yep.

Reveal hidden contents

Sounds kind of like Ender's Game. pretty cool concept.

2 hours ago, RumHam said:

Hidden Content

Here's my interpretation of what happened: 

You can reload, but it just accepted as a game conceit instead of a what is basically a small inside joke.  

The idea behind Bradford really needing to rescue the commander is that the commander was also fighting against the aliens, and doing very well.  In XCOM2's reality, the aliens showed up with everything they had, and the commander basically had to fight against Sectopods and Mutons with ballistic weaponry and rookies.  Despite this, XCOM managed to shoot down two UFOs and defeat the aliens in some encounters thanks to the commander's skill.  Then the location of XCOM's base was leaked to the aliens and they captured the commander.  The remnants of XCOM managed to capture one of the downed UFOs (whether this was the commander's last led mission or not I do not know, but having him be directing it while the base is under assault makes sense) and flee, while the commander was put into the stasis pod and then left playing XCOM: EU as a simulation (and also inadvertently helping the aliens defeat the resistance).  

Also, you saw Bradford's skills when he lead the tutorial mission:  Dude let three people die in what should have been a goddamned cakewalk of a mission.  Of course he's going to remember when the commander was in charge.  

13 minutes ago, MerenthaClone said:

Here's my interpretation of what happened: 

Hidden Content

Makes sense. I'm definitely more inclined to keep playing than I was before. I just need to get out of this Fire Emblem instilled "if someone dies, better restart the battle" mindset. Also good point about Bradford. 

8 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Makes sense. I'm definitely more inclined to keep playing than I was before. I just need to get out of this Fire Emblem instilled "if someone dies, better restart the battle" mindset. Also good point about Bradford. 

Yeah, just let it roll.  Its not like the 90s version of the game where one of the best early strategies was literally equipping rookies with either stun batons or pin-removed grenades and just charging the aliens wholesale, but the most memorable moments are dealing with a sudden reversal of luck.  A sniper missing a 97% shot that leads to a star Ranger getting murdered by a 'lid, sending the whole mission south?  That's fun, especially since XCOM2 features a lot of ways to help stop your fall.  Sort of.  Its also infuriating.  But the flipside is that sometimes, you'll miss that shot and then that star ranger will somehow dodge three totally fatal shots headed their way and go on to point-blank murder an alien.  

Or the first sectopod of the game comes barreling through a wall at a very inopportune time and repeater procs on a random overwatch shot, killing it in one hit.  That was certainly memorable.  

So master of orion is out on early release, and so far it is almost exactly like moo2. That's not bad. But it feels old as hell.

Decent graphics though, and it sounds like it has Neil degrasse Tyson as a voiceover.

23 hours ago, Artimicia said:

XCOM seems like the series I should of played that I still haven't gotten to yet.

I think XCOM2 might be a good first start as far as that goes, it looks pretty fun!

I would strongly recommend playing XCOM: Enemy Unknown/Within first. XCOM 2 is much more punishingly difficult than the original on the same difficulty levels and using the first game to get a grounding in the gameplay before going up against the second one is a good idea.

I also feel that EU is, certainly on the strategic level, a superior game to the sequel, but the sequel does have better and more varied combat.

Stardew Valley is out on Steam, $15. It's early days yet, but I've put in about 2 hours, and though it's unofficial, so far it's the best Harvest Moon game since Friends of Mineral Town.

On 2/19/2016 at 4:34 AM, Stalker said:

SEGA is giving away a number of games for free. Thought you might want to know, limited time offer. Titles include Binary Domain and Jet Set Radio.

Is this over? Where is it happening?

Archived