Video Games: Doing Archaeology With A Shotgun

KiDisaster

Managed to snag Dragon Age Inquisition Tresspasser DLC for cheap. So that now makes my DAI set complete. My elf is my only definitive play through, so I guess I'll do my first run at Tresspasser with her, and if I like it I'll try it will a few other characters.

I've gotten back into Hearthstone, just arenas and tavern brawls for now since the constructed ladder is still being dominated by the infuriating secret paladin. The announcement of the addition of formats has me feeling excited about the game again. I think it's the right move. 

Also still playing Diablo 3. I'm up to around GR45 on my Wizard, using the Firebirds set. I have a few pieces of gear I still need to find to really get my damage and survivability up but my luck seems to have dried up. I've spent thousands of blood shards on random belts and cannot get the one legendary I need. I swear I've gotten every other goddamn legendary belt multiple times already. Oh well...lots of forgotten souls at least. 

I started playing Torchlight 2. I bought it a couple of years ago but could never quite get into it but now I was kinda feeling like playing an Action RPG so I figure I'd give it a shot.

I haven't played that much yet and am still only level 15, but so far so good.

3 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

Also still playing Diablo 3. I'm up to around GR45 on my Wizard, using the Firebirds set. I have a few pieces of gear I still need to find to really get my damage and survivability up but my luck seems to have dried up. I've spent thousands of blood shards on random belts and cannot get the one legendary I need. I swear I've gotten every other goddamn legendary belt multiple times already. Oh well...lots of forgotten souls at least. 

Use the cube, man! Easiest way to get that elusive legendary or set piece is to use that rare to legendary recipe in the cube. Craft a 2 piece Sage's set to farm Death Breaths with. Once you get like 300-400 Breaths, buy a bunch of 70th level rare belts from the Blacksmith. Convert them to legendarys in the cube. It costs 25 Breaths and 50 of each of the other mats (White/Blue/Yellow). If the belt is class specific, odds are pretty good that you'll roll one in like 10-15 tries. You'll get 16 rolls from 400 Breaths and 800 of each of the other crafting mats. And you can farm up the Breaths while running rifts for greater keys. It doesn't take that long to farm up a nice batch of them. 

3 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Use the cube, man! Easiest way to get that elusive legendary or set piece is to use that rare to legendary recipe in the cube. Craft a 2 piece Sage's set to farm Death Breaths with. Once you get like 300-400 Breaths, buy a bunch of 70th level rare belts from the Blacksmith. Convert them to legendarys in the cube. It costs 25 Breaths and 50 of each of the other mats (White/Blue/Yellow). If the belt is class specific, odds are pretty good that you'll roll one in like 10-15 tries. You'll get 16 rolls from 400 Breaths and 800 of each of the other crafting mats. And you can farm up the Breaths while running rifts for greater keys. It doesn't take that long to farm up a nice batch of them. 

I've been using the cube to try to get the ring and amulet set I need. Finally got the ring last night. I didn't think of crafting a sages set. Hopefully I won't take too much of a damage hit with that equipped so I can still speed through rifts. I'm in a weird place right now where T9 is a cakewalk but T10 still absolutely wrecks me.

59 minutes ago, KiDisaster said:

I've been using the cube to try to get the ring and amulet set I need. Finally got the ring last night. I didn't think of crafting a sages set. Hopefully I won't take too much of a damage hit with that equipped so I can still speed through rifts. I'm in a weird place right now where T9 is a cakewalk but T10 still absolutely wrecks me.

Yeah, you don't need to run 9 or 10 to farm breaths, 6 or 7 will do. As long as you have a RoRG ring, the two pieces of Sage doesn't kill your DPS. The important thing really is to have a good speed/movement build as you're basically just seeking out Elite/Champ packs as they are the main packs that drop breaths. Use Nemesis Bracers (the ones that pull Champ/Elite packs out of shrines) as a swap piece for when you come across shrines. Gobs are a pretty good source for breaths too, especially the one that drops mats. I can usually get 40-50 breaths in one regular rift run if I run it to the last map. And you're collecting greater keys at the same time, so you're killing two birds with one stone.

10 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yeah, you don't need to run 9 or 10 to farm breaths, 6 or 7 will do. As long as you have a RoRG ring, the two pieces of Sage doesn't kill your DPS. The important thing really is to have a good speed/movement build as you're basically just seeking out Elite/Champ packs as they are the main packs that drop breaths. Use Nemesis Bracers (the ones that pull Champ/Elite packs out of shrines) as a swap piece for when you come across shrines. Gobs are a pretty good source for breaths too, especially the one that drops mats. I can usually get 40-50 breaths in one regular rift run if I run it to the last map. And you're collecting greater keys at the same time, so you're killing two birds with one stone.

I didn't have a RoRG because I forgot you have to get them from Act 1 bounties lol. Got one last night, now I gotta do a few more bounties for the Sage's set materials and I'll be good to go. Gonna try a Sage/Tal Rasha's farming build I saw on Reddit since I have five pieces of that sitting in my inventory I haven't tried out yet. 

17 hours ago, The_Gallows_Knight said:

I started playing Torchlight 2. I bought it a couple of years ago but could never quite get into it but now I was kinda feeling like playing an Action RPG so I figure I'd give it a shot.

I haven't played that much yet and am still only level 15, but so far so good.

Played through it as an Engineer a couple years back and had a lot of fun.  I actually just fired it up a few weeks back and fiddled with an Outlaw.  I do like the game quite a bit.

I'm interested in TWD Michonne. But I'm not entirely sure about where they've set it in the timeline. I'm not really all that interested in seeing into Michonne's psychosis during her disappearance from the show at the beginning of season 4(?).

I'd rather see her story in the Fear the Walking Dead sort of timeline. What got her from being a happy and fun mum when the ZA hit to being an emotionless Samurai when we first see her in Season 3?

51 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I'd rather see her story in the Fear the Walking Dead sort of timeline. What got her from being a happy and fun mum when the ZA hit to being an emotionless Samurai when we first see her in Season 3?

I think the show already answered that question. Zombie dingoes ate her baby. 

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I'm interested in TWD Michonne. But I'm not entirely sure about where they've set it in the timeline. I'm not really all that interested in seeing into Michonne's psychosis during her disappearance from the show at the beginning of season 4(?).

I'm getting it day 1. TT TWD is one of the greatest games of all time.

Just finished up Shadowrun Returns a few days ago.  Pretty solid game.  It feels very old school, which I guess is the point.  It's not terribly in depth, and the story, while well-written enough, is kind of silly, but it was a fun ten to twelve hours.  If you like turn-based RPGs, you'll probably enjoy it.

I started on the Dragonfall expansion and I can already tell it's a significantly better game.  They clearly learned a lot from Returns and it shows.  

4 hours ago, Stalker said:

SEGA is giving away a number of games for free. Thought you might want to know, limited time offer. Titles include Binary Domain and Jet Set Radio.

Fuck. Yes. 

I never had a Dreamcast so I only got to play this at friends' houses when it came out. I played the everlasting shit out of JSRF though. I didn't even know there was a PC port until just now. Definitely gonna pick it up. 

21 hours ago, Rhom said:

Played through it as an Engineer a couple years back and had a lot of fun.  I actually just fired it up a few weeks back and fiddled with an Outlaw.  I do like the game quite a bit.

Yeah, I'm having a lot of fun with it so far. I'm playing the Outlander class and finished Act 1 yesterday.

2 hours ago, briantw said:

Just finished up Shadowrun Returns a few days ago.  Pretty solid game.  It feels very old school, which I guess is the point.  It's not terribly in depth, and the story, while well-written enough, is kind of silly, but it was a fun ten to twelve hours.  If you like turn-based RPGs, you'll probably enjoy it.

I started on the Dragonfall expansion and I can already tell it's a significantly better game.  They clearly learned a lot from Returns and it shows.  

I just finished the Hong Kong main campaign and am starting on the bonus one. They've really improved the games with every iteration, it's pretty cool.

10 minutes ago, Jon AS said:

I just finished the Hong Kong main campaign and am starting on the bonus one. They've really improved the games with every iteration, it's pretty cool.

Yeah, Dragonfall is a significantly better game than Returns in basically every regard.  The combat feels tighter, the supporting characters are all more interesting, the main story is more intriguing, it's set in a more interesting location (also fun since I was just in Berlin six months ago, so unlike Seattle I actually know a lot of the locations they talk about), and they make a much better use of all your skills in dialogue and terminal checks.  It makes it feel like your character build actually matters.  I rarely got that feeling in the first game where decker was the only skill that ever seemed to get checked with any regularity.  

Glad to hear Hong Kong is an improvement over Dragonfall, because I'm almost certainly going to buy it now.

Archived