Video Games: Doing Archaeology With A Shotgun

KiDisaster

2 hours ago, Jack Bauer 24 said:

While not technically inaccurate that headline still seems misleading. All Todd Howard said was that they hadn't ruled it out. Which isn't really news. When in modern history has the owner of an video game property preemptively ruled out the possibility of it being adapted into a movie? Anyway it's not as if Todd Howard's approval was the obstacle preventing this movie from being made. As I understand it there's not even a specific pitch they're discussing internally.

Nobody has ruled out Kanye West being in a Star Wars movie either. It may happen. There's just no reason to think that it will anytime soon. 

Edit: Also if there is a Fallout movie, in my opinion it should avoid the whole "vault dweller steps out into the world for the first time" thing. Don't make it a movie version of the games. Make it a supplement to the games explaining how we got there. Even if they did something where like a vault opened prematurely just 20-50 years after the Great War. That'd at least be new territory. 

15 minutes ago, RumHam said:

While not technically inaccurate that headline still seems misleading. All Todd Howard said was that they hadn't ruled it out. Which isn't really news. When in modern history has the owner of an video game property preemptively ruled out the possibility of it being adapted into a movie? Anyway it's not as if Todd Howard's approval was the obstacle preventing this movie from being made. As I understand it there's not even a specific pitch they're discussing internally.

Nobody has ruled out Kanye West being in a Star Wars movie either. It may happen. There's just no reason to think that it will anytime soon. 

Edit: Also if there is a Fallout movie, in my opinion it should avoid the whole "vault dweller steps out into the world for the first time" thing. Don't make it a movie version of the games. Make it a supplement to the games explaining how we got there. Even if they did something where like a vault opened prematurely just 20-50 years after the Great War. That'd at least be new territory. 

True. I do think this is the net step for Beth though. They tried their hand at an MMO and I could see them getting into the movie game.

On 3/11/2016 at 8:28 PM, Independent George said:

After burning myself out on the game a year ago, I purchased the expansion packs for Pillars of Eternity, and am now regularly forgoing sleep to play during the busiest time of year for me at work.

1. It's amazing how much fun I'm having after such a long hiatus. Plus, I notice they rebalanced quite a lot since I last played.

2. Were monks always this awesome? I never played one before, and now Zahua is just wrecking the crap out of people.

3. Between simply forgetting most of what I'd previously known, gameplay tweaks with the expansion, and just trying out different builds, I'm astounded at how many viable tactical choices you can make, and still have it be rewarding. This game definitely gets better on a re-play.

Monks were buffed a decent amount, yeah.  So were Rangers.  All the classes are much better balanced now, IMO.  They did some really great work with those expansions.  

I have a friend who suffered some neurological damage after a car accident last fall.  One of the therapies she is attempting is online interaction through multiplayer gaming.  She's a former WoW player and she plans to get back into the game.

To keep in touch with her, I decided to fire up the game and just play the free stuff to level 20.  It was on a server I'd never played on, so I created a cow pally and set about my business.  Needing some cash to get some bigger bags, I took mining anticipating selling copper on the AH for exorbitantly inflated prices compared to my hey day a decade ago!  So I take my stack of copper to the AH and try to sell it and I'm told that the free accounts can't do that... so naturally I re-upped for 3 months.  That'll show 'em!!!  :lol: 

Anyways, I've just been puttering around in the early Horde areas.  I've never played Horde post-Cataclysm, so its all new to me.  Won't get into it seriously, but I figure I can do some sight seeing. 

Not really played anything since finishing Life is Strange the other week, might go through and give it another playthrough cause I loved it and nothing else on my steam library is jumping out at me (and my xbox is broken but I don't really play it enough to justify buying a new one)

Still playing Medieval II off and on, and crusading is just the funnest thing. Playing as Spain at the moment, and I've destroyed Portugal and the Moors, taken all of Spain and a few regions in Africa (weirdly the Papal States have about three as well, but at least they're a nice buffer), and I'm using Bordeaux and Toulouse as my northern border against France/Milan.

Joined a crusade for Cairo, and am now just marching around Egypt sacking cities and trying to outwit the never-ending armies of the Middle East, relying on my diminishing core of Spanish soldiers and shoddy local mercenaries. Always fun when they try to attack a settlement using mostly heavy cavalry and horse archers.

My XCOM2 campaign crashed and burned last night. I'd got to a point where my level 2 weapons and armor were not cutting it anymore but I still didn't have the option to build level 3 gear. All my soldiers got killed or horrifically injured over the course of a few missions and that was pretty much that. I started over but my interest is waning quickly now that I've lost my hero of a sniper. Col. Graham, AKA 'Ace', who single-handedly fought off two waves of Advent reinforcements with nothing but his pistol because his rifle was empty and an action could not be spared to reload it, after everyone else had evac'd out due to horrible injury. We had one more unconscious soldier on the ground that day, and Col. Graham, though he was just a lowly Cpl. at the time, decided he could not leave a man behind. Six kills with his pistol and he got out of there without a scratch on him, with the napping squaddie slung over his shoulder. What a beast. I need a mod to give my units medals for things like that :lol: 

I feel like I'm sliding into a bit of a video game slump just waiting on Dark Souls 3 to come out. Nothing else on the horizon is really catching my eye. 

1 minute ago, KiDisaster said:

My XCOM2 campaign crashed and burned last night. I'd got to a point where my level 2 weapons and armor were not cutting it anymore but I still didn't have the option to build level 3 gear. All my soldiers got killed or horrifically injured over the course of a few missions and that was pretty much that. I started over but my interest is waning quickly now that I've lost my hero of a sniper. Col. Graham, AKA 'Ace', who single-handedly fought off two waves of Advent reinforcements with nothing but his pistol because his rifle was empty and an action could not be spared to reload it, after everyone else had evac'd out due to horrible injury. We had one more unconscious soldier on the ground that day, and Col. Graham, though he was just a lowly Cpl. at the time, decided he could not leave a man behind. Six kills with his pistol and he got out of there without a scratch on him, with the napping squaddie slung over his shoulder. What a beast. I need a mod to give my units medals for things like that :lol: 

I feel like I'm sliding into a bit of a video game slump just waiting on Dark Souls 3 to come out. Nothing else on the horizon is really catching my eye. 

Don't worry I've been there with XCOM 1 a number of times.. it always pulls you back in.

Oh, I've been playing a good bit of Clash Royale, which is a surprisingly fun little mobile game. I haven't been a fan of Supercell's other games (Clash of Clans, Boom Beach) and don't do much mobile gaming at all in general but it's a good time waster. Business model seems pretty fair. I haven't spent any money and I've been winning most of my games. Getting free chests sporadically throughout the day is pretty nice. 

Perfect queuing/bathroom game. 

I've been taken over by Stardew Valley. Even though its actually way, way deeper than it appears at first blush, its just so relaxing to play. I never thought I'd get into a Harvest Valley/Rune Factory type of game, but its really working for me.

Obsidian and Paradox are supposedly unveiling stuff at GDC this week, I'm kind of looking forward to it.

Also, still itching for Mount and Blade 2, give me a release date damnit! Hopefully Dark Souls 3 will ease the wait a bit, but eh...

I tried The Culling for the first time this weekend. Didn't go so well for me. The saddest part was when my teammate was in a melee with two enemies abd I tried to scare them off with a stick of dynamite. I'd never used dynamite before so I threw it short and took out my friend. At which point I was bludgeoned to death by brass knuckles and a hammer. 

Hmm. I'm at a bit of a loose end for gaming. No money for anything new (annoying, with Warhammer Total War on the horizon), finished XCOM 2 but not really in the mood to go back into Pillars of Eternity or Divinity: Original Sin. I got caught by a horrible bug on The Witcher 2 which requires me to go back 2 hours and I just can't face it (the game is way too mediocre to justify that amount of replaying).

I've been messing around with a few indie games I had on my list for ages like Door Kickers, which was amusing, but not a long-term solution. I'm thinking of starting Dragon Age: Inquistion but not sure I want to start another massive mega-RPG, plus there seems to be a consensus that it's middling at best (I kind of enjoyed DA:O and DA2, but didn't find either to be outstanding).

I might replay The Banner Saga ahead of the sequel coming out (not that I can afford it, but hopefully by then I might) or try the latest build of Third Age: Total War.

4 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I might replay The Banner Saga ahead of the sequel coming out (not that I can afford it, but hopefully by then I might) or try the latest build of Third Age: Total War.

What latest build? There isn't a version newer than 3.2, is there? I know there were advances for the Fourth Age mod, and the Silmarillion mod, both for Rome 1, I think. And the Rise of Mordor mod for Attila looks promising.

Just finished my run through of Scholar of the First Sin and beat Aldia for the alternate ending.  Still have most of the optional bosses in the DLC that I can try to tackle and the ancient dragon if I want to, but I probably won't.  I'm also tempted to try to platinum this game while I wait for DS3 and start some of the more tedious parts.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Hmm. I'm at a bit of a loose end for gaming. No money for anything new (annoying, with Warhammer Total War on the horizon), finished XCOM 2 but not really in the mood to go back into Pillars of Eternity or Divinity: Original Sin. I got caught by a horrible bug on The Witcher 2 which requires me to go back 2 hours and I just can't face it (the game is way too mediocre to justify that amount of replaying).

I've been messing around with a few indie games I had on my list for ages like Door Kickers, which was amusing, but not a long-term solution. I'm thinking of starting Dragon Age: Inquistion but not sure I want to start another massive mega-RPG, plus there seems to be a consensus that it's middling at best (I kind of enjoyed DA:O and DA2, but didn't find either to be outstanding).

Replay XCOM2 on Legendary with some mods.  

12 minutes ago, Werthead said:

No thanks. XCOM 2 was okay but not as strong as the first game. I'll wait until the bugs get fixed and some more updates come in.

Stardew Valley! Its $15 on steam, so that's what, £10?

Archived