US Politics: Jousting for SCOTUS nominees

Ser Scot A Ellison

When Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia died 11 days ago at a West Texas ranch, he was among high-ranking members of an exclusive fraternity for hunters called the International Order of St. Hubertus, an Austrian society that dates back to the 1600s.

After Scalia’s death Feb. 13, the names of the 35 other guests at the remote resort, along with details about Scalia’s connection to the hunters, have remained largely unknown. A review of public records shows that some of the men who were with Scalia at the ranch are connected through the International Order of St. Hubertus, whose members gathered at least once before at the same ranch for a celebratory weekend.

Members of the worldwide, male-only society wear dark-green robesemblazoned with a large cross and the motto “Deum Diligite Animalia Diligentes,” which means “Honoring God by honoring His creatures,” according to the group’s website. Some hold titles, such as Grand Master, Prior and Knight Grand Officer. The Order’s name is in honor of Hubert, the patron saint of hunters and fishermen.

Cibolo Creek Ranch owner John Poindexter and C. Allen Foster, a prominent Washington lawyer who traveled to the ranch with Scalia by private plane, hold leadership positions within the Order. It is unclear what, if any, official association Scalia had with the group.

This shit could be the plot for True Detective season 3! :lol:

1 hour ago, Hereward said:

A ragged house, long bereft of lordship.

That's the sickest and snootiest burn I've ever seen. Well done. :bowdown:

Or, since you're British: not too bad.

ETA: I now realize that was a line from Lord of the Rings, but still, credit is deserved for deploying it so appropriately.

1 hour ago, DanteGabriel said:

I dunno if anyone was paying much attention to the questions round Scalia's death about the very exclusive and mysterious resort where Scalia died, where apparently he and the other guests were staying for free, but Washington Post reporters have dug up some information and it's taken a turn that is simultaneously weird, sad, and not that surprising:

Here's my favorite part:

Oh yes, they opened their first chapter in the US through the Bohemian Grove association, just in case we hadn't checked off all the boxes yet.

What is it about rich old white guys and their need to pretend that they're medieval knights? If I were writing a satirical secret society, I'd think naming the founder "Count Franz Anton von Sporck" might be a little too on the nose. Not to mention "honoring God by honoring his creatures" seems to mostly involve shooting birds sprung out of boxes. Like skeet shooting, but with blood!

Isn't that the place with the giant owl?

9 hours ago, Shryke said:

RE: The SCOTUS nomination

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/republicans-are-breaking-the-senate

The GOP appears so far to be refusing to engage in the process of replacing Scalia in any way what so ever.

The editorialising below:

I suspect, frankly, that the GOP is paralysed with fear and indecision at this point. They have no idea how to proceed on this issue other then stall, stall, stall and gamble on lasting till a gamble on a win in November. They are starring down the barrel of a gun labelled "loosing control of the Supreme Court" and have no idea how to win this battle beyond a long-shot at the presidency. So they do nothing. Stick with the plan.

So much for the precedent argument.

7 minutes ago, Swordfish said:

I think the natural progression here is that since a disproportionate number of the homeless are minorities, this proves that the council is stocked with racists?

Assuming the bolded is true, I think the more accurate description would be that the council is certainly executing a racist policy.

Just now, larrytheimp said:

Assuming the bolded is true, I think the more accurate description would be that the council is certainly executing a racist policy.

Which pretty much makes them racists, yes?

Why else would someone execute a racist policy, if not because of racism?

17 minutes ago, Mudguard said:

Sandoval has already taken himself out of consideration.  I think that was a smart move for Sandoval.  He was never going to be actually nominated, so there was no upside to remain in consideration and let himself be raked over the coals by both parties.

Makes sense, really. Interested, and willing to take the beating for it, but not willing to be a sacrificial lamb. Can't say I blame him.

33 minutes ago, Inigima said:

Makes sense, really. Interested, and willing to take the beating for it, but not willing to be a sacrificial lamb. Can't say I blame him.

Plus it would mean he would never be nominated again. I don't think there are many examples of SCJs who were rejected once then nominated again and approved later on.

Free history lesson, per NPR. There have been 5 SCJ nominations in the first quarter of a president's last year in office. All 5 were confirmed.

Also, there has never been a SCJ nomination (that wasn't subsequently withdrawn) that has been told they will not be considered at all by the Senate.

http://thedianerehmshow.org/shows/2016-02-25/what-an-eight-member-supreme-court-could-mean-for-key-cases-still-to-be-decided-this-year

1 hour ago, MerenthaClone said:

Ignorance.  

Impossible.

Racism is the obvious and only choice when it comes to these situations.

There are probably some sexist overtones as well here that i just haven't considered, so i'll go ahead and pre emptively call the council members sexist as well, just to cover my bases.

I'm sure Harry Reid merely postulated him as a trial balloon, and he has something more devious planned for the days ahead.

Yeah, I read that he was behind it. He's getting some serious GOP trolling done before he leaves. He also just went after Romney for his Trump tax comments.

What is it about old, rich conservatives and shooting helpless quails?

2 hours ago, Swordfish said:

Impossible.

Racism is the obvious and only choice when it comes to these situations.

There are probably some sexist overtones as well here that i just haven't considered, so i'll go ahead and pre emptively call the council members sexist as well, just to cover my bases.

Frankly, we just don't have all the information here. You're all jumping to conclusions. It's too early to make that kind of judgement. 

Archived