Pick your least favourite character and say something positive about them

Catelyn is very beautiful.

Margaery has nice manners.

Olenna really cares for her family.

Ramsay loves his father and his father's castle.

Edmure was genuinely devoted to Robb's cause.

The Sand Snakes (excluding Sarella and the young ones) are not afraid to voice their opinion.

Joffrey was charming.

I honestly cannot think of a single positive thing to say about Aerys Targaryen. 

2 minutes ago, George forgot my eye color said:

Well, as far as I recall the recount of his early reign in TWOIAF he must have been quite creative (e.g. with his wild plan to dig a tunnel through the red mountains to irrigate Dorne)

He was also friends with Tywin Lannister and Steffon Baratheon, which hints that at some point in his life, he actually exhibited beautiful human emotions. 

His relationship with Tywin deteriorated and he had no problem condemning Steffon's son to death.

He did have visionary plans but he was not willing to materialise them, so I don't think they point towards to a positive aspect of his character.

Basically, even as a young man, he was unfaithfull, arrogant and bad for the realm. 

11 minutes ago, Danelle said:

He did have visionary plans but he was not willing to materialise them, so I don't think they point towards to a positive aspect of his character.

Sure, he wasn't willing or able to pull through on some of his visionary ideas, but he still came up with them. Come on, in this thread we're supposed to squint a bit in order to see positive character traits ;)

Of course, the creative/visionary facets of Aerys' personality became completely perverted later on - the gruesome double Stark execution was undeniably done in an unconventional way. Most personality traits have both positive and negative aspects

1 hour ago, The Wolves said:

He refused a marriage for his heir and Cersei thereby saving Rhaegar from that monster. So he cared in his own way for his children. 

No he didn't care about Rhaegars happiness at all he just wanted to put Tywin in his place and embarrass him

2 hours ago, Danelle said:

I honestly cannot think of a single positive thing to say about Aerys Targaryen. 

He knew about to delegate properly and effectively for most of his reign, that is a very important skill in a king.

16 hours ago, Danelle said:

It wasn't a wise move on Aerys' part (to say the least) but him telling Tywin Lannister that he was a good servant was the best thing to happen to Tywin up until Tyrion shot him with an arrow. Anyone that can diss Tywin deserves some credit.

12 hours ago, ravenous reader said:

Despite all his genetic shortcomings, he produced two brilliant and accomplished sons...Rhaegar Targaryen and Tyrion Lannister!

While I believe that Tyrion is Aerys' son, it was Tywin who raised him. As for Rhaegar, he was also raised by Rhaella and his noble character was not influenced by his father's depravity.

40 minutes ago, Wall Flower said:

It wasn't a wise move on Aerys' part (to say the least) but him telling Tywin Lannister that he was a good servant was the best thing to happen to Tywin up until Tyrion shot him with an arrow. Anyone that can diss Tywin deserves some credit.

Actually, the only positive thing that I can think about Aerys is that he appointed Tywin as his Hand, 

15 hours ago, Sullen said:

He knew about to delegate properly and effectively for most of his reign, that is a very important skill in a king.

therefore ensuring that a highly competent man was responsible for ruling the 7 kingdoms.

Insulting Tywin and Joanna is not a good thing or a form of defiance but rather a pathetic attempt to humiliate them. The only thing that Aerys accomplished by calling Tywin his servant, was to prove how insecure Tywin made him feel.  It really not different from insulting his own granddaughter.

When Prince Rhaegar returned to the Red Keep to present his daughter to his own mother and father, Queen Rhaella embraced the babe warmly, but King Aerys refused to touch or hold the child and complained that she "smells Dornish."

I agree that Aerys' attempts to humiliate Tywin were somewhat pathetic (not to mention unwise) but I can't help feeling that Tywin was a man who didn't suffer anywhere near the humiliation he deserved. The author seems to agree since he gave Tywin one of the most humiliating deaths in the series.

Archived