What the show got better than the books

Tianzi

3 minutes ago, The Arthur Smith said:

1. White Walkers. The show actually expand facts and scenes about the White Walkers and emphasizes the apocalypse that is worth remembering. In the book, i barely remember about the Others and couldn't care about them while in the show, i do.

Great point.  Sometimes it's easy to forget that the book started with this, which is usually as clear a sign of huge importance as anything.  And yet, in the novels, it becomes forgotten.  The show doesn't let us forget and that is a credit to their better telling of the core narrative.  (Even with many mistakes along the way themselves)

Arya's story has a much better and more logical progression. Axing a whole load of pointless wandering in the Riverlands, Lady Smallwood etc.

Her scenes with Tywin are really good insights into both characters which come off as cliche in the books.

Show had done many thing better - 

1. Tywin lannister - Simply said Charles dance is amazing and he owned every scene on the show. 

2. Still being on Tywin - whole Arya-Tywin track in season 2 was pure gold. We get to learn about both of them so mch during in it. 

3. Margaery - You have to give credits to writer for adding depth to Margaery's character. And kudos to Natalie dormer for owning every scene she is in. I could literally watch Cersei and her having to and fro. 

4. Varys & Littlefinger's conversations in the show. Each one of them is the best dialogues writers have written on the show. 

5. Bronn - Put Bronn with any character and you will have the best entertaining and amusing odd pair of the show. 

6. Whitewalkers - Show has done great job to maintain the danger of Others in show. Plus show gave us HARDHOME. Nothing more to say.

Commando Stannis, aging up Arya, Sansa, Dany and Bran were good ideas( I think aging up Jon and Robb were awful ideas though), Theon beheading Rodrik, the line about "the King shits and the Hand wipes" and Tyrion's confrontation with Janos were all done better on the show.

I actually hate Charles Dance's Tywin not because he was a bad actor but because they put him in so many unnecessary scenes because D & D liked him a lot and I never liked Tywin. Always hated the fucker.

Just now, Joe Pesci said:

I'll offer up a tried and true improvement, Locke over Vargo Hoat. No slobbering lisp, no zorse, no problem.

I'll grant you that, plus they avoided pushback from speech impediment defenders. However, I will always miss "thaphireth."

And I thought the Locke actor looked too much like Count Rugen from "The Princess Bride."

36 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

I'll offer up a tried and true improvement, Locke over Vargo Hoat. No slobbering lisp, no zorse, no problem.

I agree, I hated everything about Vargo Hoat except the idea of Tywin Lannister hiring mercenaries.  Lock was def an improvement.

I appreciated some of the extra scenes between the Starks in the first episode. As I recall, we don't get so much as any interaction between most of the Starks except in memories in the books.

I like what some of the actors bring to their characters such as Olenna, Bronn, or Sandor, making them much more important in the show vs. the books.

In terms of writing decisions or changes from the books, I really can't think of anything. I hate to be "that guy" but there has never been a change in direction that I enjoyed more than where the book went or is going.

Quite a few... interesting things said so far. Not going to say more than that because debating isn't the point of the thread.

One of my favorite things is the jail scene between Oberyn and Tyrion. I think that is much improved as opposed to Oberyn telling Tyrion about his baby story when they first meet.

I also like how the show had the wildlings attack Castle Black at the same time that Mance arrived with the main army. Makes much more sense strategically speaking and I feel like that's something book Mance should've easily thought of as well.

I like how Alliser Thorne isn't as cartoony of an antagonist, mainly in season 4 alone.

I liked how the Boltons sent Locke to Castle Black to try to find Bran and Rickon. Makes a lot of sense from their perspective. 

The music is much better in the show as well.

Archived