What the show got better than the books

Tianzi

So, as our beloved author trollingly said once: "The book was better. Books are always better", and this show is no exception. However we can think about the elements we enjoyed more on screen than while reading. Mine would be:

1. Margaery. I was going to say the Tyrells, but well, TV Loras is an airhead bimbo, and Olenna was good in the books also. But Margaery is a wonderfully developed character and I think that embracing her potential was one of the things D&D have done beyond right.

2. The King of The North campaign (minus the cancerous Talisa plot, obviously). Richard Madden really brought life to his character and I think that presenting his storyline not exclusively from Cat's ever-worried POV has done it much good. We actually were able to get into the spirit of the campaign and maybe even believe for a moment it has a chance. Seriously, I read the books unspoiled and I watched the show later, and I still felt more optimistic about KotN in TV version.

3. It comes out regularly and is going to resolve the story before we are all grey and retired.

I'd have to say

Tywin Lannister. He is amazing in the series, he was a force in the books but in the series he owned every scene he was in.

Tyrion Lannister. No one I have spoken to has failed to mention how much they love him in the series.

Aging up the characters. It helps with some plot issues and certain scenes when it isn't an 11 year old getting married.

Hardhomme. That was an amazing scene that has set the tone for later battles

The watchers on the wall. That episode being solely about the battle at the wall was great.

Cutting the fat. Hate me all you want but certain things had to be cut, and Lady Stoneheart was one of them.

It's half-and-half. Game, Clash and Storm are better than the show, but the show is better than Feast and Dance.

Things the show did better that hasn't been mentioned:

- Talisa over Jeyne Westerling and the Red Wedding.

- No Lady Stoneheart.

- Sansa's North story line.

- Tyrion's Essos story line.

- Dorne (yes, it was really bad in the books and the show, but at least in the show it's much briefer than the books, so in this case lack of quantity is proportional to quality).

-Jon as Lord Commander was superior in the show.

-Dany's Meereen story line was superior in the show.

* Tyrions Essos storyline

* Hardholme

* S2/ACOK

All the above in my eyes.  The problem with AFFC/ADWD was largely that the plot moves slowly and there is a lot of filler the show condensed this and didn't always get it right either.

I'd have to agree with some of the other suggestions:

1) Cutting Tyrion's meandering adventures in Essos and the quest to find where whores go. 

2) The fact that we didn't have to suffer through Penny. 

3) The last half of the Hardhome episode.

4) Dumping the Lady Stoneheart stuff. Never cared for it. 

5) Sansa's storyline.  I don't know if its 'better',  but I think its all heading in the same place, anyway, and personally, I don't care anything about lemon cakes,  Harry the Heir or that spineless Arryn kid.  That's just me,  your mileage may vary.  

6) Tywin Lannister as portrayed by Charles Dance.  One hell of a great job adding depth to that character.

7) Unlike the books, there are occasionally moments where I can find Dany realistic and almost likeable.  

8) No (f)Aegon.  Its not so much that I dislike the character or don't think he has a role,  its just that he comes in so late that I don't care.

5 hours ago, Tianzi said:

Richard Madden really brought life to his character and I think that presenting his storyline not exclusively from Cat's ever-worried POV has done it much good

Let just say I certainly liked to look at Richard Madden :D (Still do by the way). 

The goodbye scene between Bran and Rickon was amazing. 

Tyrions fast forwarded storyline, less self pitying, meeting Dany.

No Brienne travelogue.

No Sansa babysitting.

More streamlining and faster pace.

Single issue Jons storyline 

Bronn and Jamies back and forth. Bronns character in general.

High Sparrow and Lady O 

Margery as a real character.

Giving Cercei a more rounded less obvious villainous character.

1 hour ago, Stannis is the man....nis said:

The only thing I remember thinking the show did better was Theon cutting off Rodrik Cassel's head over some peasant

"Gods help you, Theon Greyjoy. Now you are truly lost."

So love that they added that.

2 hours ago, TheLeviathan73 said:

Aging up the characters into something far more believably was easily their best move.  And they accelerated the aging of the dragons as well from what I can tell.

Agreed.

My opinion:

1. Hardhome. Needless to say.
  2. I agreed with Charles Dance as Tywin. Dance did a brilliant job portraying Tywin and i couldn't imagine him exactly as Book!Tywin, particularly how he would handle the truth about Tysha
  3. Cersei and Lena Heady. I like that Cersei is more grey in the show compare to her book counterpart where she's reveal to be a psychopath. The show did keep Cersei's stupidity but instead made her more caring toward her children. This could be due to Heady's interpretation on her character and she an amazing job making her sympathetic.
  4. Theon's storyline pre Reek.  In the book, the Ironborn accepted Theon as their prince, but it's the opposite in the show where they mock and reject Theon. I preferred the latter cause it actually show that Theon wasn't accept in neither side - whether he's truly a Stark or a Greyjoy. With TV!Theon being the butt monkey with everyone treating him as crap, it made his book counterpart's life look easier.
  5. White Walkers. The show actually expand facts and scenes about the White Walkers and emphasizes the apocalypse that is worth remembering. In the book, i barely remember about the Others and couldn't care less about them while in the show, i do.
  6. Tyrion's trial at Vale. "I once brought a jackass and a honeycomb into a brothel... "

1 hour ago, Stannis is the man....nis said:

The only thing I remember thinking the show did better was Theon cutting off Rodrik Cassel's head over some peasant

I especially loved how it took it him 2+ swings just to get the head off. :lol: 

Archived