What the show got better than the books

Tianzi

The TV series beats the books in that fans can expect a new one every year until the story ends.

Also - the casting has been mostly amazing.  There are a few who I don't think have done the characters justice (Loras for one) but in many cases, the actors have brought the characters to life and made me love or hate them even more than George's writing.

Agree with many points that were made. Some that have not been discussed much yet:

1) Season 1 where Khal Drogo slays his Bloodrider. I was so sad that this was the only fight scene we got to see from the actor.

2) Viper vs Mountain was great. Book scene was hard to beat but for me, they did it.

3) I appreciate many ppl being a lot older than in the books, e.g. Missandei.

4) Varys and Littlefinger interaction is better than the books.

19 hours ago, Humble AK said:

It's half-and-half. Game, Clash and Storm are better than the show, but the show is better than Feast and Dance.

Things the show did better that hasn't been mentioned:

- Talisa over Jeyne Westerling and the Red Wedding.

- No Lady Stoneheart.

- Sansa's North story line.

- Tyrion's Essos story line.

- Dorne (yes, it was really bad in the books and the show, but at least in the show it's much briefer than the books, so in this case lack of quantity is proportional to quality).

-Jon as Lord Commander was superior in the show.

-Dany's Meereen story line was superior in the show.

I hope some of these were in jest because most of your mentioned items are far worse in the show.

Talisa was one of the worse decisions the show made.

You could argue either way about Lady Stoneheart, but the revenge against the Freys is a great part of the books.

I almost choked when I read about Sansa's north story line. Her "rape makes me a strong person" angle might be the most laugh-worthy part of the entire show.

Tyrion's was better in the sense that they sped some things up and took out Penny, for now.

You can't say Dorne was better in the show. Between the horrible sand snake scenes and the fact that it was pretty much irrelevant makes it worse.

Jon as Lord Commander is nowhere near as good in the show as in the books. He basically goes from LC to stabbed in about 10 minutes. At least the book developed his role as the LC and when he was stabbed, it was at least explained.

I actually agree with Dany especially in ADWD.

5 hours ago, The Knight of Flours said:

The TV series beats the books in that fans can expect a new one every year until the story ends.

Also - the casting has been mostly amazing.  There are a few who I don't think have done the characters justice (Loras for one) but in many cases, the actors have brought the characters to life and made me love or hate them even more than George's writing.

Finn Jones is great. It's the bad writing that really brought him down

Arya and Tywins conversations are brilliant. Really rounds out Tywin character. Some points you almost think he's a decent guy then a minute later he orders the slaughter of innocents. Well done

Robb Stark far better fleshed out as a character. Kinda unravels a bit towards the end of season 3 but still solid and far more than we get in the books 

Battle of Blackwater, Stannis leading from the front, Tyrions rallying speech was better. The boat bridge would've been cool but obviously production costs.

On 4/18/2016 at 1:15 PM, Joan Jett said:

How?

Uh, where to begin? Hardhome is the most obvious example. That was probably one of the most thrilling moments ever portrayed on television; nothing in Jon's story line in Dance was the most thrilling moment ever portrayed in books.

A few other things. Kit Harrington did an awesome job as Jon in this season and really brought him alive. Everything from his election, the execution of Janos Slynt, his interactions with Stannis, Davos and Mel - all of this was superior to what was done in the books. And Jon felt more like a leader in the show - toward the end of the books, I was kind of rooting for the Night's Watch to murder Jon, as they so predictably planned to. People complain about the Olly glares telecasting Jon's fate in the show, but pretty much every interaction Jon had in the book telecasted the treachery in the books - almost all the Night's Watch was a glaring Olly in the books.

Also, speaking of Olly, I really liked him in the show. I enjoyed Jon's mentorship of him, and even though it was predictable that Olly would turn traitor, knowing what I did of what would happen to Jon from the books, it certainly didn't stop me from liking his character.

In fact, I found pretty much all of the North (Sansa's scenes included, but mostly Jon and Stannis) to be some of my favorite story lines of the entire series, books and show. Although I will grant that Theon book was superior to anything in season 5 of the show. But Jon was superior, Sansa was superior, and Stannis was about the same for show and book.

17 minutes ago, Humble AK said:

Uh, where to begin? Hardhome is the most obvious example. That was probably one of the most thrilling moments ever portrayed on television; nothing in Jon's story line in Dance was the most thrilling moment ever portrayed in books.

A few other things. Kit Harrington did an awesome job as Jon in this season and really brought him alive. Everything from his election, the execution of Janos Slynt, his interactions with Stannis, Davos and Mel - all of this was superior to what was done in the books. And Jon felt more like a leader in the show - toward the end of the books, I was kind of rooting for the Night's Watch to murder Jon, as they so predictably planned to. People complain about the Olly glares telecasting Jon's fate in the show, but pretty much every interaction Jon had in the book telecasted the treachery in the books - almost all the Night's Watch was a glaring Olly in the books.

Also, speaking of Olly, I really liked him in the show. I enjoyed Jon's mentorship of him, and even though it was predictable that Olly would turn traitor, knowing what I did of what would happen to Jon from the books, it certainly didn't stop me from liking his character.

In fact, I found pretty much all of the North (Sansa's scenes included, but mostly Jon and Stannis) to be some of my favorite story lines of the entire series, books and show. Although I will grant that Theon book was superior to anything in season 5 of the show. But Jon was superior, Sansa was superior, and Stannis was about the same for show and book.

Say what you like about Stannis' show storyline, but it was affecting and emotional and dramatic. None of which could be said about his book counterpart , which was dry and methodical, lacking any sort of emotional urgency or interest. 

I barely noticed Stannis was in the last book first time round, but he was one of the highlights of season 5. That's an improvement for me.

1 hour ago, Humble AK said:

I'm not bothering with the rest of the post because I literally cannot comprehend how someone who has read both can make those claims. I'm not saying I disagree, I am saying I literally cannot understand what causes you to think that way, which is a new thing for me.  

Just please explain how you can possibly say the bolded.  Because as opposed to Jon's entire story being about the sacrifices and individual decisions he is making to maintain the Watch, we have 2 and only 2 leadership decisions from Jon, one of which was also made in the books, and is present thematically in the books (meritocratic based assignments, which is why he promotes Thorne in show).  

I guess that and swinging a sword really fast are all leadership really is.

The show is not a boring, slow-paced, tangled mess of a million plot threads, dead-end and dragged out storylines, excessive focus on  traveling and food, and over a thousand characters. 

It actually happens. We are assured to get it each year. And we can be sure of getting an ending to it.

- Aryas storyline from season 2-4

- The conversations with Robert and Cercei.

- Cercei and Margearry being expanded on

- Tywin and Robb getting more screen-time and expanding their characters

- small characters as Bronn, Yoren and Locke

- Hardhome and The battle for the wall (Blackwater was incredible in the books aswell)

I disagree with most points here as I have a hard time thinking of something I thought was done better in the show.

I found Hardhome to be enjoyable, but I wouldn't say it's better than the book since it never happened in the book (yet).

I like that they aged up the characters, but I don't like how they didn't think of the consequences of doing so with characters like Tommen.

I liked that Shireen was more involved, she was great despite what they did to her.

Archived