Why has the show made Brienne so arrogant?

1 hour ago, Dizzy Walker said:

Given it would be the first time someone looked at her like that......... She might be volunteering to go to the Riverlands just to get away from him! Loved it!

Ahaha. I'm looking forward to more of their Castle Black awkwardness and Ed's silent commentary :D

I didn't think once that she was gloating. I just assumed she was making it known to Mel that she wasn't afraid of her, that she would protect Sansa at all costs. 

If she was gloating she would have attempted to humiliate them or perhaps even ask to have Mel confined.

2 hours ago, Salad Days Saan said:

Because they don't seem to know how to characterize "Strong Female" without relying on "raging bitch."

Unfortunate, but D&D are hardly the only writers/producers/directors/etc. with this problem.

Brienne's good heart is out there in the ether, hanging out with Asha's snark (and her real name), ne'er to be seen showside.

I feel there is a problem with the STRONG female characters more generally in the show. Brienne sounds like someone who desperately wants to be seen as a badass saying badass things and doing badass stuff, but with no idea of what a badass is or never having met an actual badass.

"Hey Mel, hey Davos, did you know that I'm really really strong? I once did a billion push-ups and then I cut off the head of Stannis with a rusty spoon and pooped down his bloody neck hole."

Okay. Very good Brienne. Go back to playing with your action figures while the adults make conversation.

Maybe if they tried less hard to make Brienne seem badass, she might actually seem more like a real person.

I get the feeling that there is such a strong desire to kind of overcompensate for her being a woman (no need) that it is just making the character seem truly two-dimensional. 

Also, what happened to the strong men in the show? 

Strong, Good, Man.

In Game of Thrones you can only ever be two of those three things.

13 minutes ago, Fredwin said:

I didn't think once that she was gloating. I just assumed she was making it known to Mel that she wasn't afraid of her, that she would protect Sansa at all costs. 

If she was gloating she would have attempted to humiliate them or perhaps even ask to have Mel confined.

I got this vibe as well.

More of a drawing the line in the sand (snow?) and making a statement of confidence, rather than her being arrogant or gloating. 

If she was gloating etc., surely she would have mocked Davos for not being at his King's side to protect him. 

13 minutes ago, Fredwin said:

I never thought of it that way, the protecting Sansa angle.  

So now Jon and Sansa have a true band of not so merry misfits that all dislike each other.  

I admit that in S2 I liked the show Brienne better than the one in the ASOS with her constant "my name is Brienne" but as the time progressed she became an arrogant bitch, so bitter and angry on anyone. Like, if I were Arya, I would run away and hide from her as well! She has a good moment here and there but this scene with Davos and Mel was just superbad.

22 minutes ago, Saltire Knight said:

I feel there is a problem with the STRONG female characters more generally in the show. Brienne sounds like someone who desperately wants to be seen as a badass saying badass things and doing badass stuff, but with no idea of what a badass is or never having met an actual badass.

"Hey Mel, hey Davos, did you know that I'm really really strong? I once did a billion push-ups and then I cut off the head of Stannis with a rusty spoon and pooped down his bloody neck hole."

Okay. Very good Brienne. Go back to playing with your action figures while the adults make conversation.

Maybe if they tried less hard to make Brienne seem badass, she might actually seem more like a real person.

I get the feeling that there is such a strong desire to kind of overcompensate for her being a woman (no need) that it is just making the character seem truly two-dimensional. 

Also, what happened to the strong men in the show? 

Strong, Good, Man.

In Game of Thrones you can only ever be two of those three things.

It's really sad how accurate this post is.

You mean she beat a manacled Jaime, Cut the head off of her rightful king while he was lying injured on a battlefield and won a sad little tournament fight.  Big whoops.

Meanwhile she managed to find and lose Arya and Sansa despite her precious oath.  But that didn't matter because dumb and dickface just wrote everything better.

They had her kick the Hound's ass in a hand to hand fight. The Hound, who is 6 foot 8 and 2nd only to Jaime Lannister as a warrior in the books.

Not only did they have her beat him with swords - which would be ludicrous in the books, but they then had her beat him in a hand to hand fist fight/wrestling match. Brienne is not a giantess in the books. She is totally outclassed by the Hound in strength, skill and experience.

After that travesty, it was clear that they are going off the rails with her Amazon warrior storyline. Just like everything else that is wrong with this crap Show.

I find it pretty strange everyone calling Brienne arrogant, it's so different from my view point of her.

I find her aloof, and trying to shield herself in her own self belief and confidence because she has been so used to being belittled. I don't think that translates in to her being arrogant. 

I found the scene where she interrupted Davos and Melisandre a bit forced, but I could fully understand why Brienne as a character would do it. She doesn't play at politics, she's always been quite blunt in her courtesies and she doesn't have subtlety as a big part of her character. She always gets right on down to the point and she puts the protection of those she has sworn to above everything else. 

I really like show Brienne, she still has enough basis in book Brienne for me. 

Also, pure loved her reaction to Tormund's interest in her. In fact that whole dinner scene was brilliant (it did make me wonder how many takes it took them all to do it without laughing!) 

3 hours ago, Salad Days Saan said:

Because they don't seem to know how to characterize "Strong Female" without relying on "raging bitch."

Unfortunate, but D&D are hardly the only writers/producers/directors/etc. with this problem.

Brienne's good heart is out there in the ether, hanging out with Asha's snark (and her real name), ne'er to be seen showside.

Ah Arya? Margery? Olenna? Dany? 

Jesus lol.  And I don't see how being pissy about seeing the woman that killed the guy you loved makes her a "raging bitch".  Sounds more like you're the rage-y one.

What they seem to be doing is setting Mel up for trouble with Brianne and Davos, as each knows something that would make the other one rage out and kill Mel. Davos knows that Mel birthed the shadow deamon that killed Renley, and Brianne (I think) knows about Mel burning Shereen. I think it'll be pretty fun to see how it plays out

10 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

They had her kick the Hound's ass in a hand to hand fight. The Hound, who is 6 foot 8 and 2nd only to Jaime Lannister as a warrior in the books.

Not only did they have her beat him with swords - which would be ludicrous in the books, but they then had her beat him in a hand to hand fist fight/wrestling match. Brienne is not a giantess in the books. She is totally outclassed by the Hound in strength, skill and experience.

After that travesty, it was clear that they are going off the rails with her Amazon warrior storyline. Just like everything else that is wrong with this crap Show.

A crap show that you watch religiously I'm sure:rolleyes:

And PLEASE point out to me where in the books its determined the Hound is the 2nd best fighter??  Beause you just made that up.  As far as I recall Loras, the Mountain, Oberyn, etc were all made out to be better fighters than him.

18 minutes ago, GraveWorries said:

You mean she beat a manacled Jaime, Cut the head off of her rightful king while he was lying injured on a battlefield and won a sad little tournament fight.  Big whoops.

Meanwhile she managed to find and lose Arya and Sansa despite her precious oath.  But that didn't matter because dumb and dickface just wrote everything better.

Why do you bother? Did you create a new name here so you can bitch like this repeatedly and agree with yourself?

Stannis was not her rightful King. He was never the King. Joffrey was the legal heir because there was never a trial or proof he wasn't. Stannis by all legal terms was a usurper, as was Renly and Robb and Balon Greyjoy.

By all Westeros laws they all were rebels and usurpers and death is the punishment for this. 

Archived