BEST COVERS EVAR!!!!

Manhole Eunuchsbane

Mott the Hoople's cover of The Velvet Underground's Sweet Jane

Talking Heads' cover of Al Green's Take Me to the River

Eric Clapton's cover of JJ Cale's Cocaine

Not included are Bowie's versions of Iggy Pop's China Girl and Mott the Hoople's All the Young Dudes, since Bowie wrote both those songs, or Sinead O'Connor's version of Prince's Nothing Compares 2 U, since her version came out first.

I love several of these posted thus far like the Chromatics version of- Into the Black and the Talking Heads remake of -Take Me to the River. Seeing the Wilson sisters doing Stairway with Bonhams son sent me on an over hour long journey reading articles about the songs history, came across this humorous tidbit-

Robert Plant once gave $1,000 to listener-supported radio station KBOO in Portland, Oregon during a pledge drive after the disc jockey solicited donations by promising the station would never play "Stairway to Heaven". Plant was station-surfing in a rental car he was driving to the Oregon Coast after a solo performance in Portland and was impressed with the non-mainstream music the station presented. Asked later "why?" Plant replied that it wasn't that he didn't like the song, but he'd heard it before.[46]

I also enjoyed MJB's cover of Stairway to Heaven. 

I absolutely love Patti LaBelles cover of Dylans "Forever Young", she invents the mic drop here in 1985 at Live Aid. 

An Pierle - Are 'Friends' Electric?

Manic Street Preachers - Suicide Is Painless (Theme From M*A*S*H)

Richard Hawley - Some Candy Talking

The Polyphonic Spree - Lithium, purists may disagree but I like the way they make the song feel entirely different to the original.

cash's 'we'll meet again' is the greatest of all time because it's very deliberately post-dr. strangelove and acknowledges in its presentation that the song now stands for apocalyptic horror.

rage against the machine's cover of eric b & rakim's 'micrphone fiend' is kickass.

i've listened to disturbed's cover of 'sound of silence' way too many times.

6 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Alien Ant Farm-Smooth Criminal

Save Ferris-Come on Eileen

You are objectively wrong on both of these. You should be ashamed of yourself.

48 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

You are objectively wrong on both of these. You should be ashamed of yourself.

First off, I will admit that my musical tastes are somewhat pedestrian and vanilla. I appreciate the fact that many of you here have much more obscure examples to bring to the table. I dig the Alien Ant Farm cover because I believe it underlines the ridiculousness of the original's lyrics. Like WTF is this song even about? And it takes the already chunky guitar to another level.

I am a sucker for ska covers, as you might have already discerned. I love the transformed horn line in that cover. It just works for me. And there's something novel about a woman singing lyrics that were obviously meant for a man. (and vice-versa) I've always enjoyed that dynamic for some strange reason.

Travis-Hit Me Baby One More Time

And oh yeah, how is that fucking MASH unit of a bullpen working out for you Gobbo? Does it make you sad inside?

2 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

First off, I will admit that my musical tastes are somewhat pedestrian and vanilla. I appreciate the fact that many of you here have much more obscure examples to bring to the table. I dig the Alien Ant Farm cover because I believe it underlines the ridiculousness of the original's lyrics. Like WTF is this song even about? And it takes the already chunky guitar to another level.

I am a sucker for ska covers, as you might have already discerned. I love the transformed horn line in that cover. It just works for me. And there's something novel about a woman singing lyrics that were obviously meant for a man. (and vice-versa) I've always enjoyed that dynamic for some strange reason.

Travis-Hit Me Baby One More Time

And oh yeah, how is that fucking MASH unit of a bullpen working out for you Gobbo? Does it make you sad inside?

FWIW... I can't help but rock out when I hear the AAF version of Smooth Criminal!

3 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I expect this kind of garbage from Trisky, but I thought better of you. Next you'll be telling us all about how awesome The Ataris' cover of Boys of Summer is. Pathetic. Also, shut your filthy mouth about our bullpen. Those guys are having a tough enough time as it is, there's no need for you to pile on. Have a little decency.

The best cover ever is obviously Jimmy Hendrix version of Dylan's All Along the Watchtower, I guess it hasn't been mentioned because it's so self-evident.

Some cover versions that are important to me are,

Sorry Writhen, I overread your mentioning of All Along the Watchtower, but it's so influential it won't hurt to call it again. All those who posted after you are off the hook ;) then.

Believe it or not, my favorite version of All Along the Watchtower was done by The Indigo Girls.

Amy Ray's voice kicks ass in this song, and the guitar work by Emily is freaking awesome. 

For bonus... here is another cover by them, Niel Young and Crazy Horse's Down By the River. The bass player is in the pocket, and the drummer is Jerry Marotta who played for Peter Gabriel, Stevie Nicks, Elvis Costello, Iggy Pop, and a ton of other people... 

Archived