How Much Did GRRM tell D&D?

Ssangkall

9 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Yes I agree, he is trying to distance himself from the show , to illustrate that he's doing something different. But that just shows that he's worried about the show revealing some of his most important plot points, and is trying to offer up the stuff that isn't in the show

There season 5 adaption of FeastDance makes it very hard to believe that there is much of anything from TWOW is season 6.  The released chapters are for his fans, to reassure them who might be disillusioned by the nonsense of the show.

28 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Having said that, its hard to look at the timings of Martins released chapters and his comments and not think he's trying to say something with them.

It really isn't, you know.

6 minutes ago, thehandwipes said:

Because the show is poorly written garbage with nonsensical plots with no deeper meaning or themes full of dull characters lacking any humanity that act irrationally in the furtherance of plot.

I know that wasn't your point, but still.

It really isn't my point, or anything to do with my point. It's a completely gratuitous swipe at the show, unrelated to this discussion in any way.

I think the release of the Alayne and Aeron chapters were pretty clearly meant to reassure book readers that the books and show are heading down different paths.  Something that both GRRM and D&D have said to be true.

Possibly, but that's something we've all known for a while.

I'm sure GRRM is disappointed with the direction of the show, it would be hard not to be, but its not his place to say so. 

Equally, it's not really our place to say whether he is or not.

8 minutes ago, mormont said:

It really isn't, you know.

Oh, I disagree.  He must be saying something, the timing of the releases can't be coincidence.  The Alayne chapter last year shortly (before/after, I don't remember) the Sansa/Ramsay marriage.  The Arianne chapter seems a response to the shows adaptional choices.  And now the release of the Aeron chapter after the rather underwhelming Kingsmoot.  He certainly seems to sayong something.

13 minutes ago, mormont said:

It really isn't my point, or anything to do with my point. It's a completely gratuitous swipe at the show, unrelated to this discussion in any way.

We've been discussing the show's impact on GRRM's legacy.  If TWOW plays out the way season 6 has, it definitely will impact his legacy.

17 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Neither of us know that, but the timing and the content of his released chapters is pretty suspicious. 

I was there when he read Aeron last week. He gave a choice of three samples to read and GRRM let the audience vote. It was Arya/Mercy, Blood& Fire or Aeron. The crowd chose Aeron in quite a loud, uproarious way. Preston Jacobs even shouted "Aeron king" in celebration. Personally, I was torn between B&F and Aeron and am happy as fuck the majority went for Aeron. 

I will agree that the previous released chapters and the timing was suspicious but much in a much more "this is how it really goes" sort of way. 

Adding  this to stay on topic: last week during Balticon made it clear that the divide from book to tv will not dampen his legacy as an author and also as the creator of ASOIAF. The only time the show ever came up was in specific discussion rooms or at the viewing on Sunday, which was only 25% as full as the reading in the same room.  It is, after all, GRRM's story from start to end and it's only other people's interpretations that are versions of such. 

2 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I was there when he read Aeron last week. He gave a choice of three samples to read and GRRM let the audience vote. It was Arya/Mercy, Blood& Fire or Aeron. The crowd chose Aeron in quite a loud, uproarious way. Preston Jacobs even shouted "Aeron king" in celebration. Personally, I was torn between B&F and Aeron and am happy as fuck the majority went for Aeron. 

I will agree that the previous released chapters and the timing was suspicious but much in a much more "this is how it really goes" sort of way. 

A new Mercy chapter?  Or the already released one?

50 minutes ago, thehandwipes said:

A new Mercy chapter?  Or the already released one?

I *believe it was the same one. I was also with him at a very small coffee talk on Monday and he mentioned he was glad we all chose Aeron and that he wasn't wanting to release or read any new-new Winds stuff so that when you read the book, you don't already know too much of the beginning part. 

Asding to clarify: yes, it was the same Mercy chapter. I just wanted to go back and verify GRRM's words about it. 

8 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I believe it was the same one. I was also with him at a very small coffee talk on Monday and he mentioned he was glad we all chose Aeron and that he wasn't wanting to release or read any new-new Winds stuff so that when you read the book, you don't already know too much of the beginning part. 

That's a pretty awful choice he gave you: an already released chapter, a bit of Targ history, or an earth shattering Dark Lord Euron sailing on seas of blood.  I think you made the right choice.

2 minutes ago, thehandwipes said:

That's a pretty awful choice he gave you: an already released chapter, a bit of Targ history, or an earth shattering Dark Lord Euron sailing on seas of blood.  I think you made the right choice.

I agree. The B&F is from an upcoming book that I am interested in, just not dying for. I'm not a Targophile or anything, but this book calls to me a little more because at the donation dinner I had with him last Thursday, he did confirm a Targ birth theory I have (in his way).

GRRM has been wanting to read Aeron for a while now so I'm glad he got to do it. From what I understand, he wanted to read Areon at Mysticon but the crowd voted otherwise???

10 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I agree. The B&F is from an upcoming book that I am interested in, just not dying for. I'm not a Targophile or anything, but this book calls to me a little more because at the donation dinner I had with him last Thursday, he did confirm a Targ birth theory I have (in his way).

GRRM has been wanting to read Aeron for a while now so I'm glad he got to do it. From what I understand, he wanted to read Areon at Mysticon but the crowd voted otherwise???

Well to be fair, Damphair isn't a favorite of mine either and I would've been pretty surprised by a release of a chapter with such major spoilers.

1 hour ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Adding  this to stay on topic: last week during Balticon made it clear that the divide from book to tv will not dampen his legacy as an author and also as the creator of ASOIAF. The only time the show ever came up was in specific discussion rooms or at the viewing on Sunday, which was only 25% as full as the reading in the same room.  It is, after all, GRRM's story from start to end and it's only other people's interpretations that are versions of such. 

How would failing to complete the book series before the adaptation not dampen his legacy as an author? The show is what most people will remember now, not the books.

13 minutes ago, Winter's Cold said:

How would failing to complete the book series before the adaptation not dampen his legacy as an author? The show is what most people will remember now, not the books.

That was always going to be the case anyway.  More people were going to watch the show than read the books, at least in the short term.  His legacy as a author will be decided by the impact ASOIAF has in the literary world, which was extensive in the fantasy genre even before the show, and the books enduring popularity after GOT has left the world.

14 minutes ago, Winter's Cold said:

I mean the show being in a more popular medium always meant it was going to be the most remembered version of the story. Hell you could say that about Tolkein and Rowling now too.

The only thing that would truly hurt George's legacy is if he never released them or released the final book something like 10-15 years after the show finishes it and it's kind of an incidental "oh that finally happened" once all the hype wears down. I mean people will always make those comments about the show finishing first, that will always be there, but I think as long as he executes a satisfying conclusion while he's still relevant it won't matter two much.

49 minutes ago, Winter's Cold said:

Can't agree with you there, sorry. The books will be just fine when the show is over and would have been fine without the show if that never happened. This whole website started because there were enough fans to warrant it, and that was years before the show. At any of the SciFi cons I've been to, this past weekend included, there have always been tons of book sales going on, table after table, but very few DVD sales (or VHS depending on your age). The big, main conference room was beyond packed for GRRM's reading but only a quarter of that showed up for the viewing. And it was a holiday Monday where the overwhelming majority of people didn't have work the next morning and could stay out late. 

Besides, both GRRM and the show runners have repeatedly mentioned how the the books and show are now different. Even after almost 20 years, there are still threads that speculate what happens in Game. Not so much for the show because the budget and timeframe has forced the story to streamline itself into a much simpler version. 

On 6/4/2016 at 2:03 AM, Ser Gareth said:

I

I also personally think there is a strong possibility that GRRM has stopped working on the novels all together and is playing a waiting game for the show to finish in 2017/18.  Once he knows what the show has revealed he can then begin again ensuring that no plot points remain the same.  I think he may even throw in a curve ball and change Jon's mother from who he originally intended.....

That i do not think so, the quality of this TV show has sunk to so low thatI do not think GRRM would need to have any concern about that

7 hours ago, lancerman said:

I mean the show being in a more popular medium always meant it was going to be the most remembered version of the story. Hell you could say that about Tolkein and Rowling now too.

You could, there's no denying that.  TNT literally just finished showing 5 of the 6 Tolkien-derived films in a row, including (two of) the convoluted Hobbit movies.  Does that mean the next generation will internalize the Hobbit based on the films?  Probably - but not if they're Tolkien fans.  Same thing goes for ASOIAF.  Most people will know it as pop culture phenomenon and judge it on the show.  At the same time, fans of the books will understand the greater depth.  And that's not meant to impugn the show - it has created countless more readers/followers of the books.

12 hours ago, mormont said:

I think there is no doubt that all of this is people projecting their own feelings onto GRRM. The key words there are 'it can be interpreted'. If you're saying that, you've already admitted that you're inserting your own perspective instead of dealing in facts.

Further, the notion that in some way GRRM's legacy will in some way be diminished if the books and the series are too similar is a giant leap with nothing behind it. Why would it be?

To the bolded - yep.  To the non-bolded - thus is the show forum!  It is a vast and always contentious realm of projection on the motives of GRRM, D&D, and anyone else remotely relevant.  Good luck with attempts at moderation :P

19 hours ago, Winter's Cold said:

Well that's easy. 

The show is what most people who watched the show will remember but eventually the show will become dated in how it looks and people will opt to read the books instead of marathoning some old show their parents watched 

1 hour ago, Lord_Ravenstone said:

Well that's easy. 

The show is what most people who watched the show will remember but eventually the show will become dated in how it looks and people will opt to read the books instead of marathoning some old show their parents watched 

The problem will be that if the show finishes his story and he doesn't. He will be forever remembered as the guy who never finished his story, and let some dirty tv makers do it for him. 

Archived