(SPOILERS) Criticise Without Reprecussion

I don't want to believe Sansa really wanted Rickon or Jon dead, I wanted to believe she just accepted his fate and wanted Jon to do so as well and not get hot blooded and march right into his defeat. 

Still damn, how cold blooded can you be that even your undead half brother cares more about your baby brother than you? 

But I went back and watched it again with my dad and noticed that when Jon goes after Ramsay she looks disappointed, and I can't understand why unless she's disappointed he's alive. 

I would love to think that Sansa didn't tell Jon about LF because she was ashame of puting her pride first, of even considering the option, she was confused and wasn't even sure he would come, and that if anything she is playing LF and not the other way around, I like to think she will turn down his offer of marriage because he pimping her out to Ramsay is unforgivable. 

But... I'm no longer a summer child and I know things will probably go very different. As for now, the arguments of selfish revenge/power hungry Sansa make more sense than I would like. :(

BTW Sansa turned her horse around before Ramsay said the bit of his dongs not eating in days. how the heck did she know then? 

So it is confirmed that Stannis burned Shireen essentially within sight of Winterfell.  That is where they camped before the battle, where Davos finds the stag, and after the battle Jon walks to WF.

But people will defend this show's writing

The worlds most punishing scavenger hunt check list:

-Ring dropped in expansive sea of tall grass: check

-Wooden carving dropped in bonfire: check

Are there others I'm forgetting?

41 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

That is exactly what I got. She wanted Jon and Rickon dead so she wouldn't have any competition. I figured that's why she didn't tell Jon about the Vale army, which would have held his charge, which could have saved Rickon.

This is genius

Well. We expected Dark Sansa for season 5, we got her at the end of season 6 - a bit twisted, but still. I couldn't take her "character" development seriously since her decision to marry Ramsay, so frankly I don't care.

How can ppl like this battle? It was a freaking mudfest with a much pathetic Jon (not expecting him to pull an Aragorn, but the whiny time should be over at some point).

Yeaaah. If Rickon gave that kind of zig zag sprint for his life... then you can call it natural selection. Too dumb to survive.

Yara and Dany. Now there's a hot night in the making.

What I hated:

• Jon's (henceforth simply refered to as idiot) behavior in the battle - ffs
  • That no one in idiot's army was capable of coming up with some decent battle tactics
  • No Ghost!!!
  • Ramsay actually managing to hit Rickon at that distance; a volley of his archers at the same distance would have been more realistic
  • The neat wall of corpses that quickly formed, just to block idiot's escape
  • Ramsay finishing off Wun Wun - totally unnecessary, let idiot have a heartfelt good-bye, D&D, it's not like the audience needed to hate Ramsay even more
  • Tyrion blabbing away again
  • Things are a bit way too easy for Daenerys now; just burn one ship, and the Masters are done; apparently none of them thought to bring archers; not to mention her negotiation with Yara.
  • The revelation that Stannis essentially burned Shireen not even a day's march from Winterfell; what was the point if he was so close?

What I actually liked:

• All the cavalry charges; especially the charge of the Dothraki screamers - nice touch there; I liked the brutality of the clash between the two cavalry forces (which saved idiot's ass); I also liked the charge of the knights of the Vale because we actually got to see them hit the Bolton forces in a wedge formation (something that idiot's army could have easily used against the Bolton shield wall with Wun Wun at the front)
  • Some of the visuals during both battles were nice; the CGI was decent throughout; the battle had an appropriate epic feel
  • Wun Wun
  • Ramsay's death
  • Tormund v. Lord Umber

PS: This is minor, but it still made me my eyes roll:

It's so funny, how Tyrion, Drany and Co. climbed up the highest (never spotted before) mountain outside of Mereen just to have a chitchat with the Masters. It should have taken them like one or two days? I guess LF's teleporter device is now in mass production and available online.

But the shot of the scenery was just soooo convenient....

34 minutes ago, Lord Syv Aldlark said:

I could kiss you.

Also since it sounded good when i wrote it

This whole mistrust was invented to make Sansa seem the hero instead of putting her and Jon at the same level. It makes little sense that she could distrust Jon so fully once they are camped and ready for battle. He isn't going to uproot and take the wildlings back home and Tormund and Davos would probably advise against it anyway. 

He's not going to switch sides suddenly.

Do you know what would have been a better scene? A better empowerment of Sansa? Her meeting secrelty with Robin and convincing him to bring his army north without the heed of Littlefinger.

Then after the parlay with Ramsey she tells Jon what is coming and why it is coming.

Tada Sansa manipulated the game in her favor and didn't needlessly kill thousands of potential supporters on the basis that her relative might switch sides or do something stupid.

One of the biggest problems was that they needed to give Sansa something to do in Season 5 so they wasted screentime on getting her to marry Ramsay and be raped, ultimately at the expense of the plot. That decision really did the plot a lot of damage because Sansa could have done far more interesting and in-character things.

Instead, alliance building in the Vale and outmaneuvering Littlefinger could have been Sansa's arch in Season 5-6 (forget the pointless rape stuff that added absolutely nothing to the story, or characters), and Jon's arch in Season 6 could have been alliance building up North. Maybe Ramsay gets wind of the alliance, but maybe he's still not prepared. Maybe Sansa does not come in time and Jon has to defeat Ramsay on his own. Have the battle setup near White Harbor so the Vale Knights can take ship to the North, and not just stroll through the most fortified piece of land in the kingdoms.

There are many alternatives, but there are no quick fixes to season 6. Season 5 laid too much groundwork for poor story logic that they'd have to retcon it for the plot to really be back on track again.

1 minute ago, rayarts said:

Well. We expected Dark Sansa for season 5, we got her at the end of season 6 - a bit twisted, but still. I couldn't take her "character" development seriously since her decision to marry Ramsay, so frankly I don't care.

How can ppl like this battle? It was a freaking mudfest with a much pathetic Jon (not expecting him to pull an Aragorn, but the whiny time should be over at some point).

Yeaaah. If Rickon gave that kind of zig zag sprint for his life... then you can call it natural selection. Too dumb to survive.

Yara and Dany. Now there's a hot night in the making.

I still don't understand what sort of phenomenon causes sudden piles of strategical dead bodies during battles. 

Ramsay is truly amazing, to be able to know that Rickon would be so dumb and run in a straight line in advanced... truly remarkable. Why else gamble the most crucial prisoner he's ever had?

if Rickon had made it back alive Jon could have retreated, forced Ramsay to chase them and get them nice and good. 

Really it's all Rickon's fault if you think about it. 

4 minutes ago, Cragen said:

I`m just intrigued. I can`t understand it.

Ughh! Should I just post this at the beginning of every criticize thread?

I'll paste a portion of a previous discussion I was having. I hope this helps to sate your intrigue.

I guess calling it hate watching is fair, but that is really on d&d, for me that is pretty much the only enjoyment I can get out of the show anymore. This however is not the reason I continue to watch. For one, I used to love the show, I've devoted five seasons worth of my time, three of which I enjoyed and was also emotionally invested in. Once I'm invested into something to a certain point, I am the kind of person that, logical or not, must see it through to the end. Secondly, as a huge fan of GRRM and ASOIAF, I was thrilled to have this series come to a visual medium, as such the reasons I started watching. Now that I don't enjoy the show anymore, as a huge fan of the books, I have an inclination to know how my favorite story of all time is being adapted, or as I would refer to it as, being butchered. Thirdly, although in light of this season I have given up on this, but I endured through last season stubbornly hoping that this show still had a chance to get better and return to it's previous form, in which I thought it had the potential to become a classic masterpiece. Fourth, it's like watching a train wreck, it's a horrible thing, but as per human nature, I just can't look away. I would also factor in that a lot of people feel, if you are not watching Got, the hottest program around, then you are left out of the loop. Got is a cultural phenomenon, and most people want to be a part of that. This doesn't concern me as much, but I do enjoy the r&r thread, not just to hate on the show, but because it can also be humorous and insightful, so without watching I would not be able to participate in it, leaving me out of the loop. :( 

23 minutes ago, SerMixalot said:

UMMM BTW how did the other 2 dragons smash there way out of the base of the pyramid?

The fact that they were unchained helped them break through ancient brick walls. God forbid if those 2 dragons were chained, they would still be in the catacombs as helpless as can be. 

4 minutes ago, Cragen said:

I`m just intrigued. I can`t understand it.

Many people have explained it before and far more eloquently than I ever could but basically. 

Hate watching is fun. 

We still love the story on itself.

Some people like myself were introduced to asoiaf thanks to game of thrones, and for that I will forever be thankful to the show. 

The first few seasons were very good and sometimes one holds on to hope even beyond reason. 

We can't read the book so the show is the next best thing. if we are going to get spoiled might as well get it first hand. 

Game of thrones is huge, and everyone's always talking about it, so it's nice to not be the only one missing out on your friends conversations. 

Archived