MLB 2016: Win for Vin

Myshkin

By any one of his superiors in the organization. Or maybe by Rich Hill's agent. And no, I don't want Donny back, and yes, I do appreciate the way Roberts has managed this season, but I wish he could recognize when to put other considerations aside and allow the baseball moment to happen. And yeah, I know the next argument is a what if this, or what if that, but I don't really care; one of the best things about baseball is the potential for something special to happen in any given game, and today Dave Roberts actively interfered with that potential. 

4 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

By any one of his superiors in the organization. Or maybe by Rich Hill's agent. And no, I don't want Donny back, and yes, I do appreciate the way Roberts has managed this season, but I wish he could recognize when to put other considerations aside and allow the baseball moment to happen. And yeah, I know the next argument is a what if this, or what if that, but I don't really care; one of the best things about baseball is the potential for something special to happen in any given game, and today Dave Roberts actively interfered with that potential. 

I can understand being protective of your starters after losing like 4/5ths of the starting rotation for a big chunk of the season. On top of that, I'm not sure who in that organization has the chops to tell Dave Roberts anything about a baseball decision. Gerry Hunsicker is the only name I recognize in that entire front office.

/But that's cool. You guys finally get a competent bench manager and you want to micro-manage him, I'm down with that. Run him the fuck out of town.

7 minutes ago, Tyrion Lannister said:

"No manager in history had ever pulled a pitcher with a perfect game through seven." -Charley Steiner

"I'm not sure any pitcher in history had ever missed a month and a half with a blister." -Orel

It's a fair point.  The dude can't seem to stay healthy.

Orel Surgery in the booth. Gotta give that goofy looking motherfucker his due.

7 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I can understand being protective of your starters after losing like 4/5ths of the starting rotation for a big chunk of the season. On top of that, I'm not sure who in that organization has the chops to tell Dave Roberts anything about a baseball decision. Gerry Hunsicker is the only name I recognize in that entire front office.

/But that's cool. You guys finally get a competent bench manager and you want to micro-manage him, I'm down with that. Run him the fuck out of town.

If say Cueto was perfect through 7 and under 90 pitches and Bochy decided to pull him I'm sure you'd be making the same argument as you're making now. I'm not trying to run Roberts out of town, and as I said earlier I appreciate how he's managed our team this year, but I'm still allowed to disagree with some of his decisions from time to time, and this is one of those times. But please, continue to pretend you don't understand why some might be frustrated with the decision to pull Hill in the middle of a perfect game; I'm sure it makes you feel quite superior.

38 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

If say Cueto was perfect through 7 and under 90 pitches and Bochy decided to pull him I'm sure you'd be making the same argument as you're making now. I'm not trying to run Roberts out of town, and as I said earlier I appreciate how he's managed our team this year, but I'm still allowed to disagree with some of his decisions from time to time, and this is one of those times. But please, continue to pretend you don't understand why some might be frustrated with the decision to pull Hill in the middle of a perfect game; I'm sure it makes you feel quite superior.

I'm just saying, given what you guys have had in the recent past in terms of management, I wouldn't be to quick to second guess Dave Roberts right about now. The same way I wouldn't second guess Bochy. As much as I love baseball, Bruce Bochy forgets more about it in the offseason than I'll ever know. 

In a dumpster fire of a year... Twins' 2B Dozier goes knocks 40 HRs for the year, something no Twin has done since Harmon Killerbrew launched 87 moonshots in the imaginary season of nine diggity ought six.

Ye gods can we please import a pitching staff from anywhere other than where we've been shopping?

6 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Mariners did the same thing last night, Cano is just so smooth he didn't notice there was already two outs.

9 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

Mariners did the same thing last night, Cano is just so smooth he didn't notice there was already two outs.

I came across that article in a thread on another board. Someone made the pretty good point that in this age of replay challenges and whatnot, these type of plays have become more common. If the first out is contested, it pays to complete the play to the next base in case there is a challenge.

Archived