Video Games: No Man's Pie

Werthead

20 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

guys im so sorry for the shameless self promotion and im not even funny but i made a vine about Oblivion and thought some people in here might appreciate it 

Heh. Damn psychic guards. 

Never played much of Oblivion but I had the same problem in Skyrim because apparently there's a bug that allows animals to witness and report crimes. Damn chicken sold me out. 

2 hours ago, Jasta11 said:

Oblivion was my first Elder Scrolls game. I loved it back in the day, but sadly I find that it's the weakest of the 3 ES games post Morrowind. The setting is too generic, the voice acting bland apart from a few parts, the main quest is a bore, the level scaling's design is ridiculous, the combat not very interesting, it just doesn't do it for me in hindsight. Yes, yes, mods, but a game shouldn't require mods to start being good. New Vegas, Morrowing and Skyrim didn't.

It does have a nice magic system and a few amazing quests, mostly in the Thieve's Guild and Dark Brotherhood lines. I also liked finding the Aelid (sp?) statues for that elf.

I love Mods and the ability to mod up a game to customize it the way you want; I guess that's why I usually give Bethesda a pass despite some 'laziness.'

Agree though that Oblivion's voice acting was way too limited. Something like 25 voice actors total in a game that large?

16 minutes ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

I love Mods and the ability to mod up a game to customize it the way you want; I guess that's why I usually give Bethesda a pass despite some 'laziness.'

Agree though that Oblivion's voice acting was way too limited. Something like 25 voice actors total in a game that large?

I think it makes Bethesda seem more lazy because they are obviously perfectly content to let their fans do so much of their work for them.  They can release a game that's a buggy mess knowing their fans will patch it for them.

32 minutes ago, briantw said:

I think it makes Bethesda seem more lazy because they are obviously perfectly content to let their fans do so much of their work for them.  They can release a game that's a buggy mess knowing their fans will patch it for them.

Yeah I get that, but the fact they make it so easy to extensively mod the thing (and that the community always does a knockout job of improving/customizing the experience) makes it worthwhile to me. 

Of course it also presents a decided advantage to PC gamers over consoles, and that certainly sucks from a console gamer's perspective.

48 minutes ago, briantw said:

I'm pretty sure that's the reason they are still using the same engine they did in Morrowing, albeit upgraded obviously. Making a modern gaming engine, with all its third party software and complex features, as moddable as Gamebryo would be an absolute nightmare, probably.

So then, the moddability often comes at the cost of so-so graphics, poor optimization (seriously, FO4 ran worse than Witcher 3, a much better looking open world game), and bugs up the whazoo... which are then, sometimes, fixed by mods. So it kinda does feel like Bethesda has the modders do their work for them.

Could be worse, I guess. They could just go Ubisoft and have everyone but the art department make the exact same game year after year. At least Bethesda spaces out their releases.

I'm thinking about picking up Quantum Break now that it's been released on Steam. The Steam version, while still not a great port, has apparently improved performance quite a bit for Nvidia cards. 

Have any of you played it? Worth $40? 

17 minutes ago, KiDisaster said:

I'm thinking about picking up Quantum Break now that it's been released on Steam. The Steam version, while still not a great port, has apparently improved performance quite a bit for Nvidia cards. 

Disclosure: work at microsoft.

It's fun. It's not worth the full price, but it's pretty and there are some fairly cool sequences that take advantage of time as a mechanic. 

My feeling is in general that the time mechanic was not worth building a full game around by itself (Dishonored 2 uses the time mechanic as one aspect far better, IMO), but it's well-polished and good enough for 8-10 hours of play. 

1 hour ago, KiDisaster said:

Seems like the perfect game to wait until the price drops to ten bucks in a Steam sale.

12 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Am I the only one who kinda loves Bethesda glitches and bugs

Sometimes. It can be a lifesaver when a dragon is kicking your ass, and then you get next to a building and the dragon gets stuck in a loop in which it doesn't hit you, but you can slowly eat away at its life. 

Edit: And with that the talk of Paradox games, I'm glad to say I've FINALLY been able to form Germany on ironman mode in EUIV. By the end of that match Germany completely controlled Central Europe all the way to the Baltics, which my ally Russia had sway over. Germany also controlled much of Central America, including the Panama Canal, the eastern half of Australia, the Phillipines, and German California. Sadly, the match ended before I could launch the invasion of India that I was preparing for. 

Its now time to move back to CKII, in which I will make the great nation of Salerno break free of Lombardy, and then drive the Byzantines out of Greece. 

I genuinely think I'd be affronted if I bought a Bethesda game where corpses dont get stuck in doors and flap around for the rest of the game, where characters dont just walk into everything Lmao. I'd be like what the heck is this I want my money back if I cant watch a Mudcrab fly through the air after a punch 

So, what are some good mobile games? It's not a genre I ever got involved in, but I'm currently stuck on a small island in the North Atlantic for it looks like another 4 days and all I've got is my phone. I've heard good things about Lara Croft Go, but that's all I know really. I'm ideally looking for stuff that doesn't require a constant WiFi connection.

20 minutes ago, Fez said:

So, what are some good mobile games? It's not a genre I ever got involved in, but I'm currently stuck on a small island in the North Atlantic for it looks like another 4 days and all I've got is my phone. I've heard good things about Lara Croft Go, but that's all I know really. I'm ideally looking for stuff that doesn't require a constant WiFi connection.

The Room and its 2 sequels. 3 very atmospheric and fantastic puzzle games, which (for better or worse) have nothing to do with Tommy Wiseau.

10 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Its now time to move back to CKII, in which I will make the great nation of Salerno break free of Lombardy, and then drive the Byzantines out of Greece. 

That's Romans to the likes of you! You godless heathen!

Ended up getting Quantum Break after all. The performance isn't quite as bad as I expected. Using the weird upscaling option (which is pretty much mandatory, turning it off to run at native resolutions absolutely tanks the framerate) I'm getting a steady 60fps with textures on ultra and everything else on high at 1440p. 

Played through act 1 and watched the first episode of the live action show. It's interesting enough so far storywise, if not exactly original. I'm hoping the gameplay gets more interesting though because it's pretty stock third person shooter so far and the time powers are nothing I haven't seen in other games. Essentially you get a blink with some bullet-time aiming, a stasis grenade and a shield. Plus "Time Vision" which works exactly the same way as every other "X Vision" in every other video game, highlighting enemies in red and useful things in blue. I'm not sure how exactly time travel powers do that but...oh well :P

So what releases are everyone looking forward to in the last part of the year?  Even with a new battlefield, GR Wildlands, a remastered Skyrim, For Honor, and the chance to play MW1 remastered (although debating whether I'll buy a crappy CoD game on principle), I think I'm actually looking forward to a Pokemon game with a unique story (no gym battles this time!) more than anything else.

2 minutes ago, JonSnow4President said:

So what releases are everyone looking forward to in the last part of the year?  Even with a new battlefield, GR Wildlands, a remastered Skyrim, For Honor, and the chance to play MW1 remastered (although debating whether I'll buy a crappy CoD game on principle), I think I'm actually looking forward to a Pokemon game with a unique story (no gym battles this time!) more than anything else.

An unending tide of Warhammer DLC, mostly.  

Archived