US Elections: CTRL ALT-RIGHT DELETE

all swedes are racist

10 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

Oh, well. 

Latino's are fast becoming a major political block.  At this rate, another half dozen presidential elections, possibly even the majority block.

Yet, I wonder.

Many of these people come from countries that are corrupt, authoritarian hellholes.  More, many tend to be of a conservative bent - witness Rubio and Cruz.  Politics and family seem to be intertwined, as does corruption.

So, will the Latino 'block' bring with them the corruption and authoritarianism they, or their immediate ancestors fled from?  Or will they take a more centrist/liberal stance?   

At this point, I'm not taking a stand, just tossing a glaringly obvious question out there.

It doesn't seem like a good idea to conflate "corrupt" and "conservative" (or to imagine a movement away from "corruption" as a move towards the center, at least the US center) as you see to be doing here.

If we don't though...if Rubio and Cruz are the examples we're using they've basically fallen in with their party. 

12 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

Oh, well. 

Latino's are fast becoming a major political block.  At this rate, another half dozen presidential elections, possibly even the majority block.

Yet, I wonder.

Many of these people come from countries that are corrupt, authoritarian hellholes.  More, many tend to be of a conservative bent - witness Rubio and Cruz.  Politics and family seem to be intertwined, as does corruption.

So, will the Latino 'block' bring with them the corruption and authoritarianism they, or their immediate ancestors fled from?  Or will they take a more centrist/liberal stance?   

At this point, I'm not taking a stand, just tossing a glaringly obvious question out there.

Cruz was born in Canada. Not exactly a poster child for corrupt, authoritarian regimes.

2 hours ago, TrueMetis said:

So I've been out of the loop for the past three weeks for orientation period, any chance of a summary of what's been happening or is it too much?

Trump keeps saying stupid shit and falling in the polls.

Clinton can't shake accusations of corruption while accusers can't make anything stick.

Boarders keep coming up with cleverer and cleverer titles for it's U.S. Elections threads.

49 minutes ago, maarsen said:

Cruz was born in Canada. Not exactly a poster child for corrupt, authoritarian regimes.

Not to mention Cruz's extreme brand of conservatism was cultivated by the good ole American Evangelicals.

But yeah, let's blame it on the Cuban blood.:rolleyes:

Just to make you people a little jealous I want to let you know that I'm currently in Mexico, where the best taco trucks in the world can be found. Fun fact: most taco trucks down here aren't actually trucks. Most are in vans, and the cooking is done at home. Hot plates are used to keep the food warm. At least once a week I eat at one of these vans, informally known as the taco taxi. The old woman who runs the taco taxi makes the best bistec colorado and chicharon en salsa verde anywhere on the planet. This all just goes to show that Latin American countries aren't all corruption and awfulness; if nothing else they're home to sweet old abuelas who make delicious food. And that's gotta count for something. 

22 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

Just to make you people a little jealous I want to let you know that I'm currently in Mexico, where the best taco trucks in the world can be found. Fun fact: most taco trucks down here aren't actually trucks. Most are in vans, and the cooking is done at home. Hot plates are used to keep the food warm. At least once a week I eat at one of these vans, informally known as the taco taxi. The old woman who runs the taco taxi makes the best bistec colorado and chicharon en salsa verde anywhere on the planet. This all just goes to show that Latin American countries aren't all corruption and awfulness; if nothing else they're home to sweet old abuelas who make delicious food. And that's gotta count for something. 

Sounds like a bunch of whitewashing.  The people immigrating from Mexico and other dictatorships are likely trying to establish their corrupt, tyrannical, practices here.  Think about it, why else would you leave a place unless you wanted to make the rest of the world just like it?

Don't ask me, ask history!!!

I mean my neighbor from Mexico kept on voting to turn the US into a province of Mexico.  Plus, they're

papists 

!!!

15 hours ago, mormont said:

Do white immigrants from, say, Russia or Belarus, also 'bring the uglier elements of their culture with them' and are they a threat to the US political culture?

There were never enough immigrants from the former USSR and Eastern Europe combined to trigger this sort of reaction. However, earlier waves of immigration which were large enough (e.g. the Irish and German Catholics in the 19th century) were indeed assumed to be a threat due to having the wrong values and provoked a corresponding political response.

What's wrong with a taco truck on every corner anyway?  I thought the GOP were big supporters of small business, and one can't get much smaller than a taco truck.  Must be Hilary's sneaky plan to beat the GOP at their own game!  If she wins perhaps she'll do a Oprah imitation "And YOU get a taco truck! And YOU get a taco truck! And YOU get a taco truck! "

2 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

Donald Trump's children do "millennial outreach" and it's as creepy and internet-hateable as you'd expect:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/trumps-millennial-outreach-backfires-jokes-925564

Look at the first pic of D. Trump Jr. and size of his hands!  Yuge!  The rest of the article is hilarious.  The millennial twitterverse conceals a tough crowd.

9 hours ago, maarsen said:

One of his parents did hail from a corrupt, authoritarian regime, though.

ThinkerX, your post is just racist.

I disagree.

It assumes that Latino immigrants favour or promote corruption by virtue of being Latino and therefore from corrupt political culture, as if that makes them by their nature corrupt themselves: as if political corruption was some sort of virus and they were simply passive carriers rather than human beings with their own political beliefs.

Political beliefs shaped by?

The absurdity is obvious. The US was largely founded by white immigrants from monarchies. Did this lead to a monarchy in the US? Do white people favour monarchical structures? Do white immigrants from, say, Russia or Belarus, also 'bring the uglier elements of their culture with them' and are they a threat to the US political culture?

Jefferson, and other southern power brokers, advocated an aristocracy of sorts, albeit a nominally elected one.  Those notions of class persist to the current day.  Much is made these days of the 'Russian mafia,' the rise of which in the US appears to correspond with immigration from those countries. 

ETA - and of course the whole edifice is built on the assumption that Latino countries are corrupt and that this is a characteristic of their people rather than a product of poverty and power structures.

Venezuela appears to have collapsed into a failed state as a direct result of massive corruption (and low oil prices).  Violent drug gangs rule much of Mexico, with what seems to be the defacto consent of the government.  Having a miscarriage in El Salvador is a felony.  And so on.  To express concerns about the behavior of people raised in such nations is now racist?   

You sir are either being purposefully obtuse or genuinely have no awareness of how bigoted your views are. You are ascribing to the entire populace of one and a half continents the motivations of a relative few corrupt politicians. 

23 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

You sir are either being purposefully obtuse or genuinely have no awareness of how bigoted your views are. You are ascribing to the entire populace of one and a half continents the motivations of a relative few corrupt politicians. 

Then dispute my statements in the post preceding yours point by point.

My whole argument is this:

The vast bulk of the Latino voting block, long term, is much more likely to vote 'conservative' than 'liberal.'   

Your argument is that Latinos are more likely to vote for authoritarian measures because certain Latin American countries are ruled by authoritarian regimes. This argument is necessarily premised on the belief that the citizenry of those countries not only approve of the practices of the corrupt regimes they suffer under, but in fact wish to import similar governmental practices to their new countries of residence. Further, your argument assumes as fact that the children and grandchildren of people who left the aforementioned countries (in some cases before the authoritarian regimes took power) also approve of and wish to spread the practices of these corrupt governments, despite having only a tangential connection to those countries and governments. This amounts to an argument that people of Latin American descent are generally in favor of authoritarianism because they are in fact genetically predisposed to favor it. You may think this is a tidy little argument, but most of us think it's just plain racist.

Just now, Myshkin said:

Your argument is that Latinos are more likely to vote for authoritarian measures because certain Latin American countries are ruled by authoritarian regimes. This argument is necessarily premised on the belief that the citizenry of those countries not only approve of the practices of the corrupt regimes they suffer under, but in fact wish to import similar governmental practices to their new countries of residence. Further, your argument assumes as fact that the children and grandchildren of people who left the aforementioned countries (in some cases before the authoritarian regimes took power) also approve of and wish to spread the practices of these corrupt governments, despite having only a tangential connection to those countries and governments. This amounts to an argument that people of Latin American descent are generally in favor of authoritarianism because they are in fact genetically predisposed to favor it. You may think this is a tidy little argument, but most of us think it's just plain racist.

I'd like to take this opportunity to share with you what is perhaps the greatest Mexican food themed pun ever to have been conceived by man.

https://pics.onsizzle.com/Facebook-b36a82.png

/DE NADA

Archived