Star Trek: Discovery

Werthead

9 hours ago, Ran said:

Hide contents

T'Kuvma died way easy -- Klingons are tough! They have redundant organs! One phaser shot through the chest should not have ended him.

Will keep watching, for my part, in hopes to see improvement.

hmm. Maybe he isn't ?

It's Star Trek, Jim, but not as we know it.

I'm not a Trekky, really. The only series I've watched from start to finish is Voyager. All other series I've watched somewhat piecemeal, sometimes watching an entire season, and then only watching bits of seasons. So I can't claim to be an authority on what is true Trek essence. But it didn't feel like Star Trek to me. But I liked it as a new Sci-fi TV series, and maybe I'll feel the Trek as it goes on.

Episode 2 spoiler

Spoiler

I see that despite Capt. Georgiou's (Michelle Yeoh) death, she is listed on IMDB as being up for 15 episodes. So does that mean at least one flashback scene per episode (they've already established substantial flashbacks as a narrative tool for this series)? Or are we actually going to be telling a story that leads up to Episode 1 for the remaining 13 episodes of the season?

Glad she's going to be in the whole season. She's one of the main actor draw cards to the series for me.

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

How badly will the pay wall hurt this series?

I’ve seen no one in my various online interactions say they will purchase All Access for this.

@MisterOJ said he already has it

But that’s honestly the only person I’ve seen stateside to acknowledge they have the capability to continue.

10 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I’ve seen no one in my various online interactions say they will purchase All Access for this.

But that’s honestly the only person I’ve seen stateside to acknowledge they have the capability to continue.

I got a free week but I'm not sure I like it enough to continue paying for it.

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

How badly will the pay wall hurt this series?

A Neflix paywall behind the subscription sounds pretty crappy to me. But if they experiment and enough people cough up for it then I guess the market will approve of being shafted, and Netflix will continue and expand its premium paywall. If the user base isn't growing, but Netflix wants increasing revenue and increasing profits (which is what shareholders continue to demand of all companies) then they have to create new revenue streams.

22 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

So we have no pay wall? I only see two episodes of ST:D on my Netflix, are the other episodes not up yet?

Supposed to get one new episode per week available through November, then in early 2018 more new episodes one per week until the end of season 1.

ST:D, :lol:  (I can't help it).

18 minutes ago, drawkcabi said:

Supposed to get one new episode per week available through November, then in early 2018 more new episodes one per week until the end of season 1.

ST:D, :lol:  (I can't help it).

Indeed, I wonder if they considered the acronym when coming up with the title. Maybe they did and thought it was a bit of a laugh, so they stuck with it. It's like the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (Philippines terrorist group) weren't really thinking about their acronym at the time they named their organisation; or more likely they had no idea MILF already had another meaning.

Good to know that it's a slow release series and that we don't have the paywall activated on us down under. Still, if the US guinea pigs prove to be easy marks for the paywall no doubt the paywall will be rolled out globally in fairly short order.

You're misunderstanding the paywall thing, the show simply isnt on US Netflix at this point. CBS have their own streaming service and they're using this to try sell the service. If you're outside the US (or maybe NA, I'm not sure about Canada?) then its on Netflix and you're fine, but if you're in there you're expecting to get an entirely additional subscription service which only has CBS shows on it. So basically *just* ST:D. They're trying to get on the gravy train and may kill the show domestically by trying to use it in this fashion.

1 hour ago, karaddin said:

If you're outside the US (or maybe NA, I'm not sure about Canada?) then its on Netflix and you're fine

It's completely free in Canada on our Space channel, plus it is also available on CraveTV which is Bell's sucky streaming service.  As far as I know, it's not on Netflix Canada.

6 hours ago, karaddin said:

You're misunderstanding the paywall thing, the show simply isnt on US Netflix at this point. CBS have their own streaming service and they're using this to try sell the service. If you're outside the US (or maybe NA, I'm not sure about Canada?) then its on Netflix and you're fine, but if you're in there you're expecting to get an entirely additional subscription service which only has CBS shows on it. So basically *just* ST:D. They're trying to get on the gravy train and may kill the show domestically by trying to use it in this fashion.

It might kill the show domestically or it might sink CBS All Access which wouldn't bother me at all.

14 hours ago, Rhom said:

Yeah, I've had the service for a couple months now because my wife and daughters liked watching the Big Brother live feeds. Honestly, I've checked it out during that time and it's a garbage service. There's nothing else there that I would pay for. But, since I already have it - I'll keep it through the end of this season of Discovery. 

1 hour ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Personally I'm all for individual subscriptions. But the shit better work and not be filled with ads or I'm gone in 60 seconds.

The Nick Cage one.

I won't ever get Hulu for that reason, and I didn't like the "limited" commericials when I watched the second episode as part of the free preview.

10 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I won't ever get Hulu for that reason, and I didn't like the "limited" commericials when I watched the second episode as part of the free preview.

I pay the 12 dollar Hulu to get no commercials. But if I didn't get to see Charles Vain hang dong I'd be pissed.

3 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

It might kill the show domestically or it might sink CBS All Access which wouldn't bother me at all.

I don't think it'll necessarily kill the show. I think what's more likely to happen if internationally the show is doing great on netflix but sinking on CBS all access, is they'll simply shift the show onto CBS and see how it fares there. Maybe airing it a day after All access?

They'd be incredibly stupid to kill a show if it is an international success yet bombs domestically because of terrible scheduling. Maybe CBS thought "If we're doing SF we should copy that broadcaster called syfy"? Because it makes syfy look like masterminds of promoting their shows.

Archived